Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well today I added another member to the Thompson Zoo....
Her name was Rudy (but was also told it was a boy) so I think we'll change it to Rudie so it's more feminine but by the nail length it is actually a girl. She is a 4 year old Red Ear Slider Turtle and has some issues (pyramiding of the shell & shell rot) but she wasn't in a big enough tank, and didn't have a basking light and was only fed pellets & nothing else....so hopefully we can correct it.

Here is my 9 year old male Zeke (notice the long long nails....it's so they can 'flutter them' and attract Females (this picture was back when I got him 4 years ago...he had some malnutrition/improper care issues too but is MUCH better now).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How cool! I had red - eared sliders for 7 years from highschool through college. They got as big as dinner plates and finally they were let go in the wild because they weren't exactly going to go fly around the world with me and no one wanted them :( Mine must have both been girls, cuz they had the short nails.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are awesome, never really wanted one, but I was over at Petco doing cat adoptions for work and someone brought Zeke in for them to adopt, and I said wth, why not lol. I had NO idea on their proper care or anything for a few days, but he's done awesome. He's about 7 & 1/2" so dinner plate sized. He's 9 years old now. He was about 5 when I got him. They are so fun to watch. My hubby actually made him an above tank basking area using a plastic storage container...I'll have to get him to do the same for Rudie. Here's the one he made:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I was shocked how fast mine grew, they were about the size of a silver dollar when I got them ... their names were Bo and Peep. My parents still see at least one of them in the pond and wetlands by our house(during spring/summer)...they know it's one of them because it comes right up to them, probably looking for some chicken lol!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Kudos to you for making life better for Rudie! I always say I was put here to look after children, the elderly, and animals..It makes me happy doing it, so I must be right..:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
he looks like a cool pet to have around, you have a boy and girl will you be breeding them?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
So sweet of you to take him in and what you did for your other one. You are a good soul :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have a slider. Male, long tail and nails I have had for 15 or more years. We moved him to Nebraska and back to Georgia with us. he is part of the family. His name is Buddy. He loves to be petted under his chin. He'll just stretch his neck out to let you love on him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts