Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Chloe is turning 7 months on saturday and she still cant/wont jump on and off our couch. I'm worried it's either a mental or physical issue.

It's not the size of the couch - 10 week old Axle had got up on to the couch all by himself once and now he's big he bounces up and down there all day long. It must be an issue with Chloe.

I've seen her jump off by herself on only 2 occasions and both times it took ages and she whined and cried a lot before she would do it. She didn't hurt herself though.

She never even tries to jump up by herself. She just puts her paws up and looks at you to pick her up and if you take too long she whines until you notice her.

I'm wondering if it's a fear thing either because she is a bit of a sooky fearful girl or because she was dropped as a 12 week old puppy?

Or could there be some sort of physical condition meaning that it hurts her (i'm not convinced of this because she runs up and down the stairs at the park without an issue)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't mind picking her up and putting her down (always gives an opportunity for cuddles) but it just concerns me that she's being held back by either fear or a physical problem.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I have never encouraged my dogs to jump on or off the furniture. There is always the risk
of injury and it is tough on their knees. That said, it could be she is going through another
Fear Imprint Stage. Puppy Development

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Grab yourself some "Dog Stairs" from CrazySales, OO, etc etc for around $30. My tiny still can't use them, but the other two do, and $30 is a whole lot cheaper than patella operations down the track :)

Growing bones should never jump, stand, go up and down lots & lots of stairs, go for long runs or play rough - any vet worth their salt will tell owners of large breeds this, but it's all relative (body mass/weight compared to size of bones) so I don't know why some of them overlook warning small breeds of the same dangers.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that I want her to jump on and off the couch, it's just that I'm worried she doesn't want to or can't. I would actually prefer neither of them to be on the couch unless i put them there but couldn't stop Axle if I tried, he's up and down a hundred times a day, so I just find it strange she hasn't tried to copy him.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Barney is 7 months old and does the same thing. I'm ok with it and actually glad that he's gravitationally cautious. He jumps on somethings (can crawl into the car), but avoids going up or down couches. I have a step that he uses, so that works fine for us both.

I don't think you should worry about this.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
tillie was the same but now shes fine! , we have quiet low sofas so shes not in any danger! but its probably a mental thing as its to them a BIG jump , she will get used to it soon! :) x

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, you continue to enjoy the differences in your little ones. They are like snowflakes. No two are ever the same! Since you see no other physical limitations I vote mental.

We have stairs at each human bed and for the sofa.

The difference in how they approach and manage the stairs is striking.

Eden (aka Rocky the Flying Squirrel) steps on the first step and usually flies off from there. Ruby races down the steps but typically hits every step and Hope stands at the top of the steps, looks down with concern and then steps one foot, then the other, one foot to the next step and then the other, looking cautiously at every step.

Hope has great patellas. With her caution they may remain that way and I am grateful for that.

Chloe may join him soon (again, at her own speed and when she is ready) or she may not.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
its kinda like us humans.... we are all different.... some like to jump out out of 'perfectly good' airplanes... but you won't catch me doing that in a hundred yrs!! Chloe is just one of us NON-adventurous kind....and there is nothing wrong with that......

LOL

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I wish Miya would use the stairs more often. I hate when she jumps off the couch. She doesn't show any signs of patella, which is great, but I want to keep it that way. I found some great stairs at walgreens thanks to a suggestion from somewhere here. I think they were $25. If you can't find any you like online, I'd be happy to mail some to you.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Jan-now that Kody is comfortably settled in the mix, what differences do you find with them?
Just curious!
I find a differnce of about 4 lbs LOL :D

Kody is a lil' spit-fire.... very agile ...jumps off couch... bed... no Fear...he is scared of strangers still... he wasn't socialized much before me...My son calls him 'the Brat'....lol

Chico is quite abit slower... but then he has had 2 leg surgeries and needs more leg/hip surgeries... he only uses the ramps I have around the house...He loves people more than strange dogs... he was socialized alot after I got him...

but they both perform the 'chi Zoomies' once in awhile, esp when Chico feels good..... and they wrestle on the bed...

very different but you can tell they love each other..... one will go looking for the other find they can't find them...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Beau cannot jump on the couch and none of my chis can get on the bed we put a step stool beside my bed so they can get up and down for safety when I first got baby-love I met a couple at the park with a chi puppy who jumped off the bed and broke its entire spine they spent $20,000 in surgery and saved her they just felt so bad and because she was so young we also have a step stool beside the couch for beau :) its just an old one but I plan on changing the fabric on the top to make it more modern one of these days lol

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd be happy if none of my lot jumped on/off the couch....EVER. LOL Sounds like she's just scared...I'd get a stool/stairs & be happy she's worried about her safety. ;) There isn't anything WRONG with her not wanting to btw.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This sounds just like my girls! My Audrey (had her since a puppy) is bouncy and agile like you would not believe. Altho I don't encourage insane jumping, she does it and just around and. Sophia (adopted) is a year old and will not jump on furniture. She is not agile and maybe she fears she'll fall. I don't know what it is but I don't mind picking her up. She will jump off the bed during the night to potty on her pee pad and then she sleeps on a dog bed next to my bed until I wake up again to put her back up on my bed with me. I'm considering some little doggy steps for the bed. The couch I don't really care for her to be on anyways. I could take it or leave it but I don't encourage it because with 3 dogs, that's shed hair sofas when someone comes over.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You know, this made me think of something.

Hope goes to a holistic Vet on a regular basis where she receives acupuncture and chiropractic.

Last week at her visit, the doctor commented that she was "incredibly flexible". I laughed and said, "You must be kidding". That girl is the stiffest dog I know". The doctor looked at me and said, "She is only stiff in her mind but nowhere else in the rest of her body."

All this time I perceived only the others to be so flexible. They can be folded up and carried like cats. Hope refuses to go on her back and seems so much more rigid.

She is rigid but only because she is uptight not because her body is actually so.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I am going along with the others (although I'm typing slow & not grammatically correct on my cell phone-please forgive) I think it is mental. Our gidget will get on our bed with the help of steps bur she will not get down. She will cry til I help her down. She will not get on couch but will jump up on chairs same height-go figure. Lulu is sad she has figured out how to get on any of it cuz now her places of escape are getting slim. Lol

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess its just a Chloe quirk, she's full of them! Ax is such an uncomplicated little man who just wants food and pats and his Ted but Chloe is a funny little character who is constantly seeking approval and attention but then gets overwhealmed with excitement and anxiety when she gets it and doesn't quite know what to do. It's so funny that they're half siblings raised in exactly the same environment both with the breeder and me - they are just to different personality wise.

She is getting better though, she was really good when we had friends over the other day because they were nice enough to actually listen when I said give her time to warm up to you and half an hour later she was approaching them wanting to be picked up and she didn't pee everywhere or bark.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You know, this made me think of something.

Hope goes to a holistic Vet on a regular basis where she receives acupuncture and chiropractic.

Last week at her visit, the doctor commented that she was "incredibly flexible". I laughed and said, "You must be kidding". That girl is the stiffest dog I know". The doctor looked at me and said, "She is only stiff in her mind but nowhere else in the rest of her body."

All this time I perceived only the others to be so flexible. They can be folded up and carried like cats. Hope refuses to go on her back and seems so much more rigid.

She is rigid but only because she is uptight not because her body is actually so.
Karen, if you dont mind me asking, why does hope get acupuncture and chiro?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Karen, if you dont mind me asking, why does hope get acupuncture and chiro?
Oh, girl. She has issues. I hate to ruin the thread with the detail. Stomach issues and mystery lumps her body continues to produce that have 2 Vets (traditional and holistic) and a seasoned pathologist at a medical standstill.

She is precious to us. That said, she is the reason why a pet purchased at pet price from a show breeder is the only way I will ever buy another Chi. Hobby breeders (even with registered AKC dogs) who do not have their dogs thoroughly health checked (such as done by reputable show breeders) will never be acceptable to me ever again.
Because of her issues I have learned much.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Oh, girl. She has issues. I hate to ruin the thread with the detail. Stomach issues and mystery lumps her body continues to produce that have 2 Vets (traditional and holistic) and a seasoned pathologist at a medical standstill.

She is precious to us. That said, she is the reason why a pet purchased at pet price from a show breeder is the only way I will ever buy another Chi. Hobby breeders (even with registered AKC dogs) who do not have their dogs thoroughly health checked (such as done by reputable show breeders) will never be acceptable to me ever again.
Because of her issues I have learned much.
oh my goodness. Well I sure do hope that the treatments do help her. Is it something that can ever be healed or will she have to go through this her entire life? Poor sweetheart, makes me want to snatch her up and smother her with kisses...but..I wanted to do that anyway of course. hahhaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts