Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, you continue to enjoy the differences in your little ones. They are like snowflakes. No two are ever the same! Since you see no other physical limitations I vote mental.

We have stairs at each human bed and for the sofa.

The difference in how they approach and manage the stairs is striking.

Eden (aka Rocky the Flying Squirrel) steps on the first step and usually flies off from there. Ruby races down the steps but typically hits every step and Hope stands at the top of the steps, looks down with concern and then steps one foot, then the other, one foot to the next step and then the other, looking cautiously at every step.

Hope has great patellas. With her caution they may remain that way and I am grateful for that.

Chloe may join him soon (again, at her own speed and when she is ready) or she may not.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You know, this made me think of something.

Hope goes to a holistic Vet on a regular basis where she receives acupuncture and chiropractic.

Last week at her visit, the doctor commented that she was "incredibly flexible". I laughed and said, "You must be kidding". That girl is the stiffest dog I know". The doctor looked at me and said, "She is only stiff in her mind but nowhere else in the rest of her body."

All this time I perceived only the others to be so flexible. They can be folded up and carried like cats. Hope refuses to go on her back and seems so much more rigid.

She is rigid but only because she is uptight not because her body is actually so.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Karen, if you dont mind me asking, why does hope get acupuncture and chiro?
Oh, girl. She has issues. I hate to ruin the thread with the detail. Stomach issues and mystery lumps her body continues to produce that have 2 Vets (traditional and holistic) and a seasoned pathologist at a medical standstill.

She is precious to us. That said, she is the reason why a pet purchased at pet price from a show breeder is the only way I will ever buy another Chi. Hobby breeders (even with registered AKC dogs) who do not have their dogs thoroughly health checked (such as done by reputable show breeders) will never be acceptable to me ever again.
Because of her issues I have learned much.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
We do not know yet. We hoped that they were harmless lipomas or sebaceous cysts that some dogs develop. They typically come and go once a dog starts getting them. They stay around a few months and go away. We would have been happy with it being those. The needle biopsy let us know that they were neither of those.

Everyone is encouraged that the biopsy indicated no clear evidence of cancer and they do resolve with antibiotics. She has been off and on antibiotics since September and we cannot continue that pattern forever.

So, she has been off antibiotics about a week this time. We are just waiting to see what happens. She gets regular acupuncture, chiro and is on Chinese herbs to help her body boost it's immune system. She is on another that has made such a difference in her "up-tightedness". She is less snappy at the others when she is sleeping and will actually curl up and lay with them. She will now roll on her back to get her tummy rubbed and is really allowing herself to relax.

Sadly, the plan now is if another returns that we let it get large and she will have to have surgery to have it removed and studied in the whole rather than the needle biopsy.

We would engage the regular pathologist and include a histopathologist in the mix.

The good news is that none of this causes her any discomfort and she is a happy and lovable dog. She would welcome kisses. She should come with a warning label that if you pick her up you will get your entire face and nose washed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.