Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have recently seen a shirt that said stop merle breeding. I have read that Merle chi's can have health problems. I myself do not have one but it did raise my curiosity. Does anyone have any ifo on this color pattern?

Merle Chihuahuas

this was one of the links i found

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The merle gene is a dominant one- and not a problem when the dog only has one copy. So many dogs that are mearle carry only one copy of that gene and there ya go- not an issue. There are however many health problems linked with having two copies of the merele gene- including deafness, blindness and other issues. A "double merle" is very likely to have health issues. The problem people have with the color overall comes from breeders that breed two merles together and then end up with 25% of the babies having horrible health problems (two merles bred together will produce 25% double merle pups). The problem is that some dogs with the gene do not express it because of other factors like what color they are (that would be called hidden merle) so the problem can not be avoided by just not breeding two merles together, you have to be positive that a dog does not have the gene before you breed it to a merle dog.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so. So Merles are a natural color, but people breed for the merle color which causes the porblems?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The merle gene in a single dose can also cause health issues, which is why it is not recognised as a colour/pattern in the Chihuahua in the UK. Because it causes random patches that lack pigment, it can cause sight and hearing issues if the patching happens to fall on the relevant internal parts of the eye/ear. Most merles with a single copy of the gene are outwardly healthy and rarely have noticeable sight or hearing loss, but as a random pattern gene, it cannot be guaranteed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think so. So Merles are a natural color, but people breed for the merle color which causes the porblems?
Many people believe that Merle color is not a "natural color" and that to create the merle color in Chihuahuas, Chihuahuas were mixed with dachshunds and AKC papers were falsified. Other people believe that merles trace back in Chihuahua history, I would read the research and come to your own conclusion. I personally would try to not purchase a merle because of the health factors but I see why people love them; some color variations are truly stunning.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I have a merle boy, his father is a merle but his mother is not, Ike has the same parents. So far no health issues and Vet said he is perfect. I would ask to see the parents of a merle puppy, to make sure both are not merle.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaawww, he's beautiful!!! I'm not in the market for another dog..lol, 4 is enough right now, I was just curious. Like Andrea I find them very attractive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts