Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Mia is in heat finally. I haven't dealt with that for a long time. Is there any thing special she needs right now or any thing else I should be doing??

She seems to be doing fine - other than licking "herself" ALOT!!! LOL

Thanks, Traci

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Awww bless her - you can use those little doggy pants with pads in to stop any mess on your furniture and flooring.

Do you plan to breed her ? Just wondering why you arent spaying her :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
So wrong its a myth that alot of vets still think I would definately think about a different vet - there is no clinical proof - the only proof is that if you spay before the first heat the chance of getting certain cancers is almost 0 % but after each heat (including the first) the percentage goes up, also aesthetically once shes had a heat her vulva will be more enlarged than it was previously

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella was just finishing a heat cycle when she came home to live with us...I found she really appreciated having her vulva washed daily and as needed. She had a bit of odor, swelling and some slight bldy discharge...I just carried her with a soft towel and had her little rear end wrapped in one for the night in bed. I had her spayed as soon as possible following the completion of her cycle and she went through the surgery with flying colors. Her vulva did reduce in size some following completion of the cycle, but not as much as if she had never had a cycle. You may want to look into the soft panties as I think the cycle lasts 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Poor Mia. I have never had a female dog until I got Bella so I have no clue! I had Bella spayed on July 21st. She was 5 1/2 month old at the time.

I agree to get her some panties to wear until her cycle finishes. Good luck!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You can get the little panties at any pet store, and I think they usually come with a small supply of the removeable pads. I have a friend who breeds Poms, and she buys the regular panty liners to use as pads as they are less expensive.

Since you are such a good seamstress, you could sew up a couple of the panties yourself in no time. They just fasten on the sides with velcro, and have a little elastic around the leg area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts