Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to get Sincy microchipped, but they said it's better to do it when they spay her. My question is, if I don't get her spayed, can I still get the microchip? Has anyone had the microchipping done w/o spaying/neutering?

Thanks! :happy7:

·
Registered
897 Posts
They can do it with a local anesthetic but it is easier when they are put under because they don't have to worry about the pup moving during the injection of the chip. If the pup moves too much, the chip could pop back out (or so I've heard).

I don't have any personal experience with that though as I had it done when I had Angel spayed. But the vet gave me the option to do it with a local if I wanted. Just more tricky that way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another reason they like to do it all at once is that it is less stress on your dog to get any procedure like this out of the way at the same time. It also means that there is only one recovery period. I haven't gone through this with my dogs, but i have my cats who I microchipped, and neutered all at the same time, and I asked my vet why then.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
microchip

I thought the microchip was just given as a shot in the shoulder?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The chip is "like" a shot, but since the chip is the size of a piece of rice the needle is much larger than a regular shot.
A piece of rice is a lot larger to a chi than it is to us :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I saw the microchip "shot"... I almost passed out. I would require anesthesia if it was being put in me... I definitely required the same for Cooper! :lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would recommend having it done while she gets spayed. That is what I did with Bella. Although my Shih Tzu got microchipped on a regular vet visit.

Leslie

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is only a shot, but the needle is huge, and if the animal isn't undersedation it can be very stressful. I don't like taking normal shots, and I wouldn't want my dog to go through getting a shot that would scare the heck out of me with just a local anesthetic. I am sure there is nothing wrong with doing it like that or there wouldn't be vets willing to do it, but the Mom in me just doesn't like the idea. I want vet experiences to be as pleasant as possible for my dogs.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
hmm i'm thinking about chiping both of my pups. cooper i know what you mean the frist time he got his shots i started to leave the room, but he started cry'n so i stayed and he dind't let out a peep!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts