Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went today to our local Humane Society to get the microchip/ 24 hour pet watch bundle ~ to allow for the lifetime license. Even with having a mini Blizzard last night a lot of people showed up and I a heard several people ask how to make a donation. $15.00 you can't beat it. We had a really nice time, got to see so many neat animals with homes and cool people, along with so many animals in need of homes that I really wish we could have done something about, but I believe 2 people we seriously considering adopting today.

They also said they are going to offer the chipping for each of their rabies clinics this year ~ so that is a first for our area, but they have it at a price point that is affordable so I think it's a great thing.

Ours was the littlest customer they had today. People went absolutely nuts over her. I don't think there was one person who didn't ask to pet her, and several questions about her. I know I heard half a dozen times ~ I thought all they did was yap, shake like crazy and growl at people. Several people changed their thoughts on the breed today. She was the Belle of the Shelter Ball. The chip was in within a second, she made a squeak and she licked the girl who placed it, so I feared a bit of trauma, but she just wagged her tail and got in a quick lickey-loo.

If anyone has been on the fence about it I can say she really enjoyed her time there and we did hear just a tiny squeak and it was done and over with.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wow, that's impressive! Holly sounded like she was dying when she got chipped. You could hear her cry throughout the entire store.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I asked my vet and he recommended that I wait until I have him neutered. He was concerned about the size of the needle versus the size of Bandit. Of course he was only about 2 lbs at the time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are sitting at almost 4 months almost 4 pounds. One of the volunteers who has chis said she was meaty enough we might not hear a peep if she were comfortable enough with the people holding her. I could have held her myself but was concerned with morning coffee and a double ear infection I might shift at the critical moment, I didn't want to chance that. She said most commonly the separation into a strangers arms makes them fuss more than the actual injection.

I am just very pleased they offer this. Yesterday I know many got chipped, had we had nicer weather it would have been even more, the shelter collected much needed donations ~ the animals there had some company and compassion & I am sure (2) in the time I was there were in the process of getting homes from people who seemed to care and truly wanted to love them. That's not to shabby on an cold icy Saturday.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is fantastic. I'm glad she didn't seem traumatized and that some needy pets got some help.

I've had 4 dogs chipped and watched 3 of them get the chips put in them. I was surprised that Venus (3 lbs at the time), Sparrow (4.5 lbs), and my now deceased Cinderella (13 lbs) didn't make any noise or seem to care about that big needle. I know that my Husky (55-60 lbs) would have screamed her head off. She would yelp and pee at the sight of a vet let alone a needle that big. Vet's had only ever been gentle to her when she was alive.

Our Animal Services Office in Reno (not a shelter, animal control) uses HomeAgain chips, but they also register the chips in a database shared with surrounding cities (even ones in CA). They ask you to send them a a photo file to keep in their database just incase they need to send out a lost pet alert. Pretty good for $12, and they do use any profit to go towards the animals in need at the shelter next door.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I watched Gonzo get his when I adopted him from the pound when he was 2 years old, he screamed the place down. He's not the bravest dog out there, bless him. And Zena, 4 months old, didn't make a peep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts