Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone thinking about or has their dog microchipped? how do you feel about it. i read an article that got me thinking. there are 2 types out there and if the place that finds your dog only has the one scanner it may not pick up the other type of microchip. then what's the use of having the microchip if not everyone carries both scanners?? what do you all think?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Bosco is microchipped and Lola will be when she gets spayed. From what I understand, a kennel with any microchip scanner can tell if the dog has a microchip, they just may not be able to "read" it. If that is the case, they can transport the dog to a place that has a different type of scanner.

Bosco has the type of chip that our local shelter and animal control can read. So if he were to get lost locally, they will be able to read it and give him back to me.

I think it is a good idea, especially as little dogs like these tend to get stolen more often than bigger dogs (at least in this area).

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
We have both of our dogs microchipped. There are two reasons on why we did it: 1)just in case they get lost, 2) we have plans on going back to Europe and I believe (correct me if worng?!) that they need to be microchipped when going overseas.

I think it's always best to have them microchipped and it's done with just and easy shot which doesn't hurt the dog.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My two younger ones have been microchipped but not the older one. The younger ones have more of a chance of getting lost or stolen IMO. My older one isn't as active and I'd just like to see someone try to steal her. She wouldn't let them. :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cost at my place is an office visit (49) the insertion (48ish) and then 20something to get the number registered. when i found out i was surprised, i thought it would be more and it's really fast and easy. we do them a lot and half the times the dog's aren't even under anesthesia, it's just inserted with a large needle and the dog's don't even flinch. i like it better than tattooing, id tags are good too but i recently found a dog and it looked like the tags got caught on something and it came off, just leaving the ring part.. poor thing had to spend a few nights in the shelter until the owner found him.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We've looked into it, but we live in a very rural area. The local shelter here just does not even have the concept of a scanner at all. Even if they did, we are so far from town (we live on 7 wooded acres in the middle of farming community) that the odds of Chili being found by or turned into a local shelter are slim to none. The cost is actually not bad at all, and you can buy the do-it-yourself chipping kit online. Pretty easy to do also. Maybe if we ever really start traveling again we will go ahead and do it, but not for now.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cooper is tattoed on his stomach which we got done when he got neutered. I was working at the vets office once and watched two pugs get microchipped and it grossed me out so I didn't get Cooper done. I guess I could of if they would have done it while he was asleep for neutering, but I just chose the tattoo instead.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have mine microchipped. Before I was against it, but changed my mind recently- this can really help if they get lost! It is just that with getting a chip you absolutely must register your dog here in Austria and pay taxes (which is 40 euros per year and- amazing- increases to 60 for a second dog that you have :cry: )

Richie's mom

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
For those wondering about the different chips not being able to be read by particular scanners, etc...

Most animal hospitals and shelters carry a broad spectrum scanner in addition to the regular scanners, which will pick up ANY signal from ANY microchip, no matter what brand, or country of origin. It may not tell you exactly what manufacturer or country, but it will let you know there is a chip, and what the ID number is.

For those wishing to travel to Europe or out of the country, you need to have a Eurochip inserted into your pet, not the domestic kind. The Eurochip has a specific scanning frequency that is unique from other chips, and if your pet already has a domestic chip, an additional one may be required.

Getting a microchip is a great idea, even if your local shelter doesn't have a scanner or know about microchips. Many times your dog may be found and taken to an animal hospital which WILL have a scanner. In addition, lost dogs have been known to travel great distances, our hospital recieved one that had been found 20 miles from its home. It never hurts to be safer than sorry, 40 dollars is a small price to pay for peace of mind and security =)

For those worrying about the pain, or it being gross to have it injected, have it done during a procedure like a dental, neuter, or spay. It is painless after the initial injection, and while anesthetized, doesn't hurt one bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts