Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I really want to get Jackie microchipped but wanted to know what other peoples experience was. I've heard the needle is huge - is it maybe best to wait until he is a bit bigger? He's only 13 weeks...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Jack!

I live in London and am a new owner too. My vet told me that its best to get them microchipped at the same time as being spayed at 6 months old. That way they don't have to have two separate operations!
And yes... I've heard the needle is huge!! :shock:

Take Care
Lucie & Lola 8)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah...the needle is huge...I think it was as painful for Sally Lolita as it was for me. She jumped while the needle was inside her skin and they had to do it again. She started bleeding and they had to take her to a different room cus I couldn't watch... all I heard was Sally Lolita crying. :cry:
Chiquitita was very different, she didn't seem to care. She didn't cry or even moved. It all depends on the dog, I guess.
My dogs were 6 months when I had them microchipped, but I know of some breeders here in Quebec who give you the puppies already microchipped.
If you think your pup is too young and you don't take her outside or you are not travelling soon, I'd suggest you wait a little bit longer, but that's just my point of view. I am sure there are other more knowledgeable people who can advice you better. :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realise it was actually an operation! I just assumed it would be like a bad vaccination.
Oh dear, poor thing....

Thanks for the infor

Helen and Jack

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jack said:
I didn't realise it was actually an operation! I just assumed it would be like a bad vaccination.
Oh dear, poor thing....

Thanks for the infor

Helen and Jack
Well, I am surprised that they do it as an operation in London, cus here in Canada it was just like a bad vaccination. They didn't need anesthesia or anything special, just that horrible needle. And, as I said, Chiquitita didn't even moved. I didn't even had to make an appointment or anything like that. They just did it when I took them for a monthly check up. I asked the vet if she could do it, and she said yes. I thought she was gonna give me a "rendez-vous" for another day and give me like directions to follow, like not to feed them or not to give them water certain time before getting there, etc, etc, etc, but nop....she just left the room for a little while and came back with the horrible needle. The whole thing took probably about 15 minutes or less for both my dogs.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
usually they do it while they are under anesthesia while getting spayed or nuetered or a dental but where i worked we did it all the time on awake dogs as well. the needle is pretty big and the place i worked would hold an ice pack onto the area for a few miutes and then do it, it lessoned the pain a lot. i plan to have chiwi done but while she is getting her spay.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
my three chi's were all chipped when i got them at 12 weeks........i think it will be best to get them chipped when they go in for their spay or neuter.
Yikes i would be such a wuss ..when i see them with that needle at my baby's :roll:

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
my three chi's were all chipped when i got them at 12 weeks........i think it will be best to get them chipped when they go in for their spay or neuter.
Yikes i would be such a wuss ..when i see them with that needle at my baby's :roll:

kisses nat
yeah the needle is pretty intimidating! it's typically a 12 gauge.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right...think I'll be getting someone else to take him to get it done!
That needle would really freak me out....poor thing.
Getting his vaccinations was bad enough and I hated seeing the look on his face when that needle went into him.

Really want to get it done though for safety reasons and so that he can come everywhere with me!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i got woosey working at the vets whenever i had to hold an animal for the chipping. i was worse than the dogs though, i think the ice pack really helped them. the funniest one was this lab, i was holding him and tapping him on the head (that dostracts them) and when the vet put the needle in the dog turned and looked at me with his forhead all wrinkled (like when we furrow oue eyebrow into a mad face) and his eyes were sayin oh b*tch what did i ever do to you! i felt i had to explain that i didn't do it lol and not to hate me!

we've even distracted dogs by putting a little taste of dog food on the top of their nose (or peanut butter, cream cheese whatever was in the fridge.) a lot of vets say it hurts no more than a vaccine but the needle is so much bigger! i believe the vax needles are usually 25 or 22 guage, compared to a whopping 12. eesh. (remember the lower the number the larger the needle size.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was thinking about having Sonny microchipped, but I'm wondering if it would leave a lump on him.
With him vaccinations, he always gets really swollen, and still has a little lump from his last one..
I was worried that since he is soo tiny it would leave a lot of scar tissue and a little lump on him...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Ok I am deinfately getting Gizzie microchipped while he is getting neutered. I know the vet said that is how they recommend it but I didn't know why, now i know!!

With my baby being traumatized by the last vaccines their is no way mummy is going to subject her little man to that pain unless it is under anesthesia!

I hate needles :shock:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget got his chip when he was 20 weeks... The vet had 2 nurses hold him.. well, it was mostly because his last shots he was so mad at the vet he didn't give them any pleasure... So the vet was being prepared because he had to have his rabies and parvo shot plus his chip...

he was fussy with his first to shots...

one nurse held his body and the other nurse held his head. when the vet inserted the needle the nurses would masage him... he just jumped a little with his first 2 shots because he did them in his butt...

by the time he got his chip he was all relaxed and comfy in the nurses hands... he just laid there and let the doc do his job.. didn't cry or anything... it was like crazy....

It is usually done at spay because it is easier to do it while they are sleeping... Since Gadget isn't getting neutered my vet had to do it while he was awake... but he did it as comfy as possible...

put he was so sore that night from the 3 shots he was in misery... I had to put a pillow under his body with his back legs on one side and his front legs on the other side and a pillow for his head... by 4 am he was up bouncing of the walls again... he was fine... a little sore tot he touch in the shot place but other than that he was great...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have ALL mine micro-chipped and it does hurt but not for long and here in the USA they usually do it while they are being spayed/neutered or under anesthesia. But ALOT of people get it done as a walk in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Im surprised to hear that your experiences with microchipping was done under anesthesia or even considered a surgery...

Here in Miami, Florida... all they do is put the BIG needle in and it only takes a few minutes..
I bought Peanut at a Pet Store and the man asked me if I wanted to watch and I did...All he did was grab Peanut and he stuck the needle in. Peanut didnt even move (he yelped once) but it might have been because he was scared.. He gets scared very easily..
He was 2 1/2 months when he was microchipped..

To my understanding, they do it the moment you buy a dog at a Petstore and under law (I dont know if its Miami Law, Florida Law, or the United States Law but they have to microchip the dog even if the owner doesnt want to). Im not sure how it is when you buy it from a breeder.

Yael

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
oh my when they did Lady they gave her a shot first of novacaine i assume. She yelped! those syringes are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had i known the size i would have requested more than a novacaine injection

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
janiebabes said:
oh my when they did Lady they gave her a shot first of novacaine i assume. She yelped! those syringes are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had i known the size i would have requested more than a novacaine injection
You know what is kind of ironic, is that novacaine injections sting worse than the microchipping most of the time. We avoid using novacaine/lidocaine/marcaine if we don't have to since usually after that injection the animals go into crazy rage.

You know when you go to the dentist for a cavity filling, and they give you a novacaine injection (had it done yesterday) it hurts like HECK!

To answer the question about the lump, the microchip goes under the skin, it's about the size of a grain of rice. If you feel very carefully, you can kind of roll it between your fingers, otherwise you or the dog won't notice. It can be scanned by the correct frequency scanner or show up as an opacity on radiograph since it's made of metal/plastic.

It really doesn't hurt all that bad =) I've given dozens of microchips (to my own 2 included) and they didn't indicate it was painful. I think the toughest part is actually for the doctors and techs since the needle requires adequate force to be inserted and it looks like it will hurt, but really, it's not sooooo bad, the trick is to do it quickly and pinch the point of entry. However, the best case scenario is to do it while under anesthesia of course, since at that time they are pain free =)

-Nate

1 - 20 of 24 Posts