Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your chis microchipped?

I have Jet done and have already payed for Layla's but she doesn't have it yet (it came in a package with vaccinations and check up etc)
But since then i have read that it can cause cancer in some cases - is this right?
I want to get my other chis microchipped but Im unsure since reading this.

What are the pros and cons of microchipping? (other than permanent ID for your dog if he/she gets lost stolen)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is chipped. He was microchipped during his neuter. I have read some anecdotal cancer stories too, but I have yet to see a scientific study that proves microchips cause cancer. I know that when they chipped mice, they did see an increase in cancer, but mice are not dogs.

I think you have to weigh the risks and benefits and decide what is right for you. I have heard so many success stories of people getting their dogs back that were lost or stolen, thanks to the microchip. It is also a way to prove ownership if that would ever come into question.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
All mine are done, too.

Everything causes cancer, haven't you heard? ;) JK, but seriously...I think in this situation it is a matter of weighing risks. IMO its a good idea because you never know what may happen.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Merlot had surgery to remove his chip in November. It caused tissue damage to his shoulder and neck area, creating a balding tumor on his shoulder. Thank God it tested cancer free.

There is another thread that posted about it. I see the pictures are not working on it. I will fix them. I recommend you look at them and then decide if you still want to chip your dog. Merlot ended up with a huge incision and a lot of tissue removed. It was horrible.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Both Roo and Pip are chipped, it was done when they arrived at the rescue. I guess it's their practice to put them in.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Merlot had surgery to remove his chip in November. It caused tissue damage to his shoulder and neck area, creating a balding tumor on his shoulder. Thank God it tested cancer free.

There is another thread that posted about it. I see the pictures are not working on it. I will fix them. I recommend you look at them and then decide if you still want to chip your dog. Merlot ended up with a huge incision and a lot of tissue removed. It was horrible.
I was just thinking about you guys and I did a search but couldn't find your old posts! Thanks so much for re-posting about your terrible experience! Thank God it wasn't cancer but it was very traumatic. How horrible for little Merlot. How is he doing now?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts

That's awful! I'm so sorry you and Merlot had to go through that. :(

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
My three have been chipped - I was also given little collar tags for them saying they had been chipped so if a thief stopped long enough to read their tags he might not bother taking them :)

It's just peace of mind really.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My three have been chipped - I was also given little collar tags for them saying they had been chipped so if a thief stopped long enough to read their tags he might not bother taking them :)

Maybe if everyone put tags like that on their dogs nobody would know better either way and not bother! ;) Like sticking a fake Brinks Home Security sign in your lawn, haha.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy's not chipped yet (doesn't ,mean any of you can come and steal her btw ;) )

BUT i'm getting her done when she's spayed..

I agree with Kristi everything causes cancer now days.. next thing it'll be oxygen

Just wanted to add that they do free Chipping events in the uk if anyone hasn't got their dogs done and wants to but can't afford to.. the RSPCA do it just check your local ones website

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I chose not to have Paco chipped. I have never lost a dog and I have never had one stolen. I know there is always a first time, but if someone wants your dog enough to steal them they are not going to take them in and have them scanned. Paco does have an ID collar that he wears when we go out. Paco dosen't run away from me either when we are out and he's off leash. I guess it's a personal decision

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
All four chi's were chipped during their spay/neuter. Our cat was chipped when we got her as a kitten at the Humane Society.
It's a personal choice. My sisters four chi's are not chipped. She just was not comfortable doing it. She knows that if she changes her mind she can always have it done. Her thinking is.... They are easy to put in, but not so easy to take out. Her choice. I respect it. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I forgot to add that Oakley's, you can feel it. It's a little odd IMO. Just feels like a hard grain of rice under her skin but it skeeves me out to feel it lol. Can't feel any of the others though, so who knows.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You can feel Bella's too but I'd not be able to sleep at night if i sent my cats out without chips or had Bella not chipped, its the extra security i feel i need because there is always the possibility of a dog getting out accidentally or being stolen.

I also have two tags on their collars, the normal engraved kind and the tube kind :)

Basically my cat got run down last year and although her chip didn't help us find her if the council had picked her body up the local charities provide scanners and we would have been notified, that kept me going the 9 days we looked for her. She was dead unfortunately but just knowing she was chipped kept me going knowing i would find her or at least find out what happened. I would still be grieving if i hadn't found out.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Yes exactly, it's like putting a sign on your house saying it's alarmed, the thief wouldn't see it as an easy target any more so moves on. Thank you, i never thought of putting a visible tag to say she is microchipped, i will now!!

Peace of mind is worth it :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Prada is chipped, as here in Canada CKC Reg'd dogs HAVE to be chipped or tattooed, and I don't know anyone who still uses tattoos!

She hasn't had any problems, and I will be getting ChiChi and Tifa done as well.

I've had all my previous dogs microchipped and none of them had any problems with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts