Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age did you get your pup indenti-chip done?
I am booked into the vets today to have Radleys 2nd lot of vaccinations done, and have booked the time aside for his microchip as well?

Part of me feels really cruel doing it as he is so small, he is 12weeks weighing in at 2 1/2lbs

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Keona was done at 8 weeks and didnt even make a noise , i do prefer to chip when being desexed but being the law here some puppies are done as young as 6 weeks old .

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Mine were all chipped when neutered. It can be done without putting them under but with the size of the needle, etc... I just opted to have it done when they were under :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
My vet suggested to get puppies ID chip when they have their second jab. All mine except Krystal were okay. Krystal was very tiny and my vet didn't even want me to hold her down while having that done because she didn't want her to hate me. I'd never heard a dog that could scream so loud in the vet hospital. I chose the one which can also read the body temp and the needle compared with the normal one is bigger. If I could turn the clock back, I would and get Krystal done later when she's bigger (or hope she will grow a little bit more). She was 16 weeks old when she has it done.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey was chipped when she was spayed. I normally chip all my animals when they are spayed/neutered as I feel the needle is way too big. Some vets will put some local anesthesia in the injection spot to make it easier on the little ones.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a different vet today and she advised me to wait until he was castrated so it can be done whilst he is under for that. Otherwise the needle is massive and it will hurt him. lol. So he wasnt chipped but only has a few month until he is in for neutering so it wont be long.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I saw a different vet today and she advised me to wait until he was castrated so it can be done whilst he is under for that. Otherwise the needle is massive and it will hurt him. lol. So he wasnt chipped but only has a few month until he is in for neutering so it wont be long.

I'm glad you waited! My vet also told me that she thinks it is much better to have them chipped when they are under for spaying or neutering as the needle is pretty large and can hurt them! I've heard a lot of stories about microchips being really itchy for the babies and then they need to have them taken out... so I think we're not going with the chip anymore...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Im glad u waited too! My vet said mine are too small to have done with their jabs..
Lola had hers done when she was spayed in dec, will be getting Penny done when she gets spayed too.
I couldnt bare my babies being in any pain, especially Lola she wud hate me 4eva!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i had tulula done when she was about 6 months old, the vet wouldnt do when she had her second jab, he wanted her to get abit bigger.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I just helped a breeder microchip some 9 week old puppies, and TBH the puppies (chihuahuas) weren't horribly phased lol. The needle is pretty big but it's over with super quick...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am glad I waited, his injection has bruised his back anyway, and on a few occasions yesterday evening when just stroking or playing, he growled or beared his teeth when touching over the area. So I hate to think what he would be like if he had had the chip done.

I would have felt cruel doing it yesterday, plus the vet suggested it may make him hate the vets and play up on future visits, so to do it whilst under a general, is far better as he wont even know about it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am glad I waited, his injection has bruised his back anyway, and on a few occasions yesterday evening when just stroking or playing, he growled or beared his teeth when touching over the area. So I hate to think what he would be like if he had had the chip done.

I would have felt cruel doing it yesterday, plus the vet suggested it may make him hate the vets and play up on future visits, so to do it whilst under a general, is far better as he wont even know about it.
Lola hates the vets after being spayed :( she kicks up every time we go in now! snarling, biting and if the vet has to pick her up or look at something on her she starts screaming.. its really horrible!
dont think it helped that about 3 weeks after she spayed a lump came up under her arm pic so she had to have a biopsy taken.. took 3 ppl to hold her down :( so now i take her in every week to use their scales and weigh her and try and make it a nice experience for her! im dreading her booster in march!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bless her, i've never had a dog hate the vets, but many cats. Its horrible when they kick off.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yea it is, i feel awful for taking her now! she was fine until she got spayed, but Lola is very prescious! they staff at the vets know what shes like! shes such a worry wart! x

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She looks stunning on your siggy, bless her. I'm sure if you keep taking her in she will gradually come back round. I'm sure it cant be nice being left there, let alone having strangers pulling you about so you can kind of understand why animals dont like going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts