• Microchipped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tattooed

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Lexi has a really good collar id tag just now, when she gets neutered at 6months, I'll most likely get her microchipped.

For me personally, I don't like that tattoo's.
I think they look a bit garish on such a little dog, but that's just me! :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget got his microchip when he was 4 months old... man that was the day from hell for him.. he got his parvo shot and his rabies shot and his micrchip all at the same time.. he was sore the rest of the day.. but I am totally glad he got it...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper wears a tag on his collar at all times.

When he was neutered, I also had him microchipped, to be safe. I don't like the idea of tattooing because I know how what getting a tattoo feels like and I don't think we should put our pets through that. Especially if they want a butterfly instead of numbers. :D

I like the fact the microchip cannot be seen while it has all Cooper's information stored on it. The one thing that bothers me is with the "popularity" of the chip in the States, not many cities have the chip readers to be used by animal control officers and the city-run shelters. If your pet is picked up and they aren't wearing a collar, it doesn't matter if they're chipped or not - unless your city has the reader.

I know Austin doesn't have a reader and I have contacted the city council and the police department about getting one. It's great that Cooper has a chip, but what good is it going to do if the person that finds him on the street can't scan him for one?

Always wear your tags, boys and girls!! :lol:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I got Charlie microchipped when he was neutered...I think its a good "just in case"...especially if he were to get stolen it would be a way to identify him, but both of mine always where an id tag too, if the neighbor finds them that's the best way to get them back. :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
im planning to get bobo microchipped on friday along with his 3rd vacc.
but i was wondering how does microchipping really work?
how do they insert it? i know its under the skin, but can you feel it when you pet the dog?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. They insert it using a large-gauge needle and, with the smaller breeds, vets usually recommend they go under anesthetic to have it done. Most of the time, they do it during spaying or neutering.

You can't feel it on Cooper because he's so chubby but on a dog that isn't a chunk, you can feel it if you know where it is. It's not protruding from under the skin though and no one knows it's there unless you tell them.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
tik0z said:
im planning to get bobo microchipped on friday along with his 3rd vacc.
but i was wondering how does microchipping really work?
how do they insert it? i know its under the skin, but can you feel it when you pet the dog?
How does the microchip work?

The microchip is generally injected deeply under the skin. It sits safely there, totally inert. A special scanner is used to send a radio signal through the skin of the animal to read the chip. The animal feels nothing as the scanner is passed over him. The microchip sends it’s number back to the scanner. It appears in the viewing window as, for example, AVID 220*609*321.

Both of my chis are chipped and they are both over a year old. I can't feel the chips anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts