Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
This is a question that comes up about once a month here on Chi Ppl :)
If you type the word "microchip" in the "Search" box above, you will get access
to multiple threads on the subject.
btw--yes, both of mine are microchipped. although they don't have may opportunities
to be away from me, I do leave them with the Groomer once a month. I like knowing
I can be reunited with them if they are lost.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
things may have changed since Rico got his but at the time..there were two sorts of scanners for the chips being used..one more common to municipal dog pounds/animal control centres and one that vets tend to have...Rico got both, as they were really tiny and done at the same time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just try to get them done when your little one is under for something else. All of mine are microchipped even though if they ever left my home, their chance of survival would be just about 0% given the predators.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Venus is chipped with a HomeAgain chip from the shelter. My Yorkie (just under 4.5 lbs), and my mini poodle ( just under 10 lbs) are also chipped. I used to have a Cairn Terrier (RIP), and she was chipped. Nobody has had problems with the chip.

Just try to get them done when your little one is under for something else. All of mine are microchipped even though if they ever left my home, their chance of survival would be just about 0% given the predators.

Oddly enough Venus was found as a stray roaming the streets with wildlife and busy streets. I don't know how she survived, but she was probably out there for at least a few days. She was skin and bones when she was found at barely over 3 lbs (now 4 lbs). I have no idea how she didn't get killed by wildlife or get run over by a car. I figure getting run over by a car is so easy particularly for a tiny dog, but she made it. I suppose she could have been starved at her old home, and she wasn't out on the streets for long.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ours are chipped. Got the pup done at the Humane Society a month ago for $15 ~ our local HS runs chip clinics every month or so. It was a great experience. We met a lot of fun people, played with the animals, donated some funds and she was chipped in seconds. She even licked the lady who chipped her. I know for the time we were there she was definitely their smallest customer/patient weighing in at about 3.5 pounds. She never blinked an eye, I wouldn't hesitate to go that same route again, but for the fact that when we find a companion for our little chick ~ it will be another rescue and probably already be chipped.

·
Registered
458 Posts
How much did you pay to have your dog chipped?
Our local SPCA charges $20, but I don't know if that does or doesn't include the one time enrollment fee of $18 at HomeAgain.

Our local Animal Services Department charges $12, but that doesn't include the one time enrollment fee of $18 with HomeAgain. I paid that online at HomeAgain separately. They do register the chip for free in their own local database shared with shelters near Reno NV (including cities in CA). They even asked for a recent picture to add to their database.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Did you have microchips implanted in your puppy? Why or why not?
Yes, I did. I did it for peace of mind, just in case she ever got lost.

How much did you pay to have your dog chipped?
I paid $30. And here that was a a pet clinic. I could have paid a lot less had I waited for her to get spayed this Sunday. It would have only been $20 for everything. If only I would have known. :banghead::rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.