Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion on how I can hoax Miellie into wearing the Jersey I bought her? If I put it on her she struggles a bit and if she's wearing it she acts "sick". Sulks, refuses to walk, pee, poo or play, even eat. And she's got this "Poor Me" expression on her face. But as soon as I take it off, she's all happy and playing again. She shivers (sp) a lot and it is from the cold, Winter's just coming to an end so its still a bit nippy and we've got tiles in the house. If she wears it during the night, she somehow takes it off. Same goes for the harness I bought her to attach her leash to. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You're lucky to get it on her at all...it's like pulling teeth to get even one of Diego's arms into a shirt. I usually give up. Pity, because he sure has a nice wardrobe! :lol: Wish I could give you some suggestions! :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
just try it bit by bit !

put it on 1 minute the first day , then the next day 2 minutes , then three, until they get used to it :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
In addition to Nat's suggestion, you might try putting it where she can see it and "get to know" it. Try leaving it in her bed or something like that.

Cooper wasn't a fan of couture at first but when he realized everyone oohed and aaahed over him when he was dressed up, he totally loved it.

With the harness, you might try putting it on her but not fastening it around her first. See if she can get used to that, then strap her in good. :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo actually put his head down so I can fit the shirt over his head...LOL..

that was NOT THE case at first though...he attacked it, rolled around in it, basically refused to move...but I kept it on him...and ignored his pity looks...heck I even put the PJ's on him...LOL...

Eventually he got used to it...need to tackle the collar issue though...he doesn't wear one because I don't like how it marks his hair around his neck...since he is a long haired it's getting long and I don't like how it makes it stick up...anyways

try little by little...also like Coop's mom said, everytime he wears it he gets lots of attention...and he LOVES that :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Miellie said:
Any suggestion on how I can hoax Miellie into wearing the Jersey I bought her? If I put it on her she struggles a bit and if she's wearing it she acts "sick". Sulks, refuses to walk, pee, poo or play, even eat. And she's got this "Poor Me" expression on her face. But as soon as I take it off, she's all happy and playing again. She shivers (sp) a lot and it is from the cold, Winter's just coming to an end so its still a bit nippy and we've got tiles in the house. If she wears it during the night, she somehow takes it off. Same goes for the harness I bought her to attach her leash to. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.
Mylo does the same thing. Sometimes after wearing it for a min to two he will start walking around thought.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I put anything on Chihuahua she just completely freezes with her neck stuck out like she's trying to get away from the clothing. What I found is that she doesn't like things that wrap around her legs, like t-shirts. She doesn't mind so much if it's a coat that fastens around her neck and under her belly. Once she got used to stuff like that, I've moved back into t-shirts and it's much easier to get them on her.

It reminds me of getting her to ride in the doggy bag. Once she figured out she didn't have to stay at home if she got in she started hopping in herself everytime I went near the door! Maybe once your dog figures out it's warm there won't be as much of a problem?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
keeks doesntliek clothes she tries to run away, it doesnt help that when children come around the first thing they want to do is dress her. I usualy only put clothes on her for fotos, she does eventualy get used to them. Some itmes are actualy uncomfy for them, so make sure u have something comfy to get her used to
mia
x

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I used to only put coats and sweaters on mine when it was cold out and I took them out.

Koke is almost completly bald now, so I started putting T-shirts on her to keep her from licking and scratching sores on herself.
Now she gets really upset if I take her shirt off! She actually wants it on!
She'll run around and try to hide when it's not on.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep that sounds like the same problem with my chis they are actually allowing me to put a shirt or dress.My older chi would get out of a harness easily cause i had it a little bit too loss you may have to adjust it where at least two long finger fit and smaller ones four fingers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I remember the first time I put a coat or jacket on Charley ... he just stood in the same place for 10 minutes until I took it off. He wouldn't move AT ALL! :lol:

Now, like everyone said, he loves his coat & sweatshirt. It just takes time and persistence. :thumbleft:

:geek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips. I am trying the one minute today, two minutes tomorrow approach and she doesn't like it at all! But she'll just have to get used to it before next Winter. Once she realises that the jersey helps for th cold maybe she won't hate it anymore. That is if she stands still for 2 minutes to realise it. She's busy, busy, busy.

And it doesn't help that she can take it off herself!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts