Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at my wits end trying to figure out how Midgie (a totally Healthy chi) & myself (also very Healthy) has come down with severe allergies & sickness. I had decided to do a RADON test on my home to rule this out as a possible cause & guess what??????????????

Anything 4 & above is considered High levels of Radon.

My house registered 5.8!!! My county is considered to be a High Radon level county as a Zone 1. Now I have to do follow-up test to make sure the reading is accurate. If it is, then I have to put an air pipe in to elimiate the gas.

Good Grief!!!!!!!!:foxes15:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
That is scary! I hope you can get things fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
I do not mean this to alarm you at all, I just did a little googling and found on WebMD that Radon usually doesn't have symptoms but what it causes is very bad.

Please take care of this asap, fingers crossed, hoping for the best for you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,272 Posts
Oh my goodness poor you.Would it help buying a air purifier with an ironizer ? i have a small one in my living room and it's for allergies and purifies the air,not very expensive on Amazon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my goodness poor you.Would it help buying a air purifier with an ironizer ? i have a small one in my living room and it's for allergies and purifies the air,not very expensive on Amazon
Yes, I just bought one for upstairs (my twins bedroom & my bedroom) about 2 months ago. I was running it on the lowest setting but I bumped it up to 2.
Since my hubby built this house, I asked him if he put vents in the crawl space? He said he did (He knows nothing about Radon), but they were closed, so the gas couldn't escape. I said they have to be open. He was afraid of the pipes freezing. I'm going to buy 2 more test kits and since this house is a split level, put 1 in the den and 1 in the livingroom.

I also want to make everyone out there aware of this! Radon gas is every where, not just here in TN. Radon Gas is Uranium in the earths crust and as it erodes, rots, decays, it emits a gas into the air. When we are outside, the gas is diluted with the air, so we are only breathing small harmless amounts. Inside a house that is not properly vented, those levels could be high, such in my case. Radon gas causes lung cancer and is 2nd to smoking for the high number of deaths. I don't understand why this isn't widely publicized if it's this serious?!

I don't know what made me test the house other than I sit here day after day trying to figure out what could be making us this sick. It's hard to really say that it's the Radon gas when so many others suffer allergies & sickness. It scares me to think that my hubby built this house in '92 and has lived here about 20 years and never tested!! I moved in with him about 2003, which means I've been exposed about 8 years.

These test kits only costs about $13 at Lowes and you can even get them free if you call your local Health Department. If you haven't tested your home, please take the time to do it for your family and your sake!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,452 Posts
Oh my, makes me want to leave my fans on all the time. I am going to test. Thank You. I have never heard of it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
I have heard of this and became even more aware recently when our Carbon Monoxide detector went off. Thank goodness our lvls were OK, the CM detector went out and sounded a false alarm. But the fireman did a complete check of all that when he was here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Wow I am so glad you got this tested and now know! I just was hearing about this the other day on our news and yes it is very bad. We are going to test as well!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top