Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know what to do about Mikey's attitude. :( He is becoming such a teeny meanie! I usually let Mikey sleep in bed w/ me until my hubby comes home from work. When we try to get him out of bed he turns Cujo on us! If Paul is holding him and I walk away he'll go psycho. Before my boys went to bed Mikey was laying w/ me on the sofa, Josh comes to tell me something and Mikey started snarling and growling and trying to bite him! I immediately went to put him down and he was trying to bite me! One minute he can be so sweet and the next he just turns on us. I find it odd that he is starting to snap at me occasionally. It's like 1 of my own flesh kids turning on me. I really take it to heart. It's getting to where I won't let the kids go by him too much b/c he is becoming so unpredictable. I had started letting the boys feed Mikey treats and that helped for awhile. No one is mean to him. The only thing I can think of is that all this attitude started after he had his leg broken. I just do not know. I'm getting very upset by it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
How old is he again? One thing we did with Zeus when he was a baby was "desensatizing therapy". This was taught to us by the vet. Here is how is works.

Numerous times during the day, we would put two fingers in Zeus' mouth and open and close his mouth gently. (it looks like his jaw is being excercised)

Next, I would cuddle him like a baby (cradle him in my left arm) on his back and with my right hand, prevent him from rolling over or sitting up. This teaches him who is the "Alpha Dog" and he become submissive to you.

Also, I would tug on his ears and tails and play with his feet (much like a baby would do).

We did this for about 8 months from the day we got Zeus. Everyone that has Chihuahua experience (including the vet) say he doesn't have the "norm" temperment of a Chi. You can do anything to this dog.

Sometimes, Zeus will get alittle wild (he is still a pup) and he gets a "Time Out" in the kitchen. This does 2 things. It gives him a break from my 2 year old, and allows him to calm down. Zeus has never shown aggression except for one time. My daughter has a huge German Shep. stuffed animal and Zeus likes to "dance" (hump) with this stuffed dog. My daughter got near him and he growled/snarled at her. We put the stuffed dog in her closet and that was the last time he got to "dance" with the stuffed dog.

Don't let it get you down. You're a good mom to Mikey. They are just like kids. You have to mold them :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
That sounds like great advice. :wink:

I'm so lucky I don't have to deal with that with Mr. Peepers. That must be heartbreaking. You said that he's gotten bad since his leg was hurt, what if he feels 'special' now and maybe feels superior? I know I really gave Mr. special treatment after he was hurt. He used to sleep in his crate but when he had his cast he couldn't get in and out easily so I let him sleep with us, now he still sleeps with us. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
NoahFL has some very good points. I know that touching all the time helps. Makes it easier to cut toenails, etc.
Right now I am already training the puppies to lay on their backs. It is a very important thing. Laying on the back exposes the vulnerable soft belly and throat. It is not natural for a dog to do this. But I insist that my dogs let me hold them in my arms laying on their back. It is my control issue. Riley was really a little stink to teach this to. He was not held enough as a puppy. He bit me a couple of times, but I was persistent and he has now learned that I am going to do it. He was running around the house tonight and was told to stop, when you would not my husband picked him up and held him in his arms on his back. He calmed right down and I think he actually liked it. He knew who was in command and it was not him. Sometimes with all these girls he has to show off his studly image, but it does not influence me. Poor guy- :D :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I actually like the sound of the desens. training.. I think Dior wasn't held much as a pup, but when I hold her she is very calm, and statuesque.. it's cute but I think it scares her, so I make sure to pick her up often and talk nice to her. But I think I will try your advice. thanks!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As soon as you get Mikey on his back he gets fiesty! He's only 4 months old so he is still really young. You all know he will be going to obedience classes after he is all healed up. Well, spring actually. The place where he is going does fall and spring sessions.I'm worried all ready about bringing him! It is going to be a challenge. My nieghbor just got a beautiful standard poodle from a rescue, this dog is taller than my knees! Mikey tried to bite me to get down and go after this dog! I had to hurry and go put him inside! Do you think if I am persistent w/ putting him on his back he'll get used to it?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hmm I dont know that I can help in this situation. But I hope you can curve him actions and it works out. sorry to hear it I understand how upset you must be by this.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Do you think if I am persistent w/ putting him on his back he'll get used to it?
First thing.. YOU are boss, not him. You won't be cruel if you force him on his back in your arms or on the floor (I prefer in my arms). You have far more strength then he does. If he fusses for several minutes in your arms while on his back, let him. He will eventaully cave in and become submissive. Over time of doing this, he will get use to it. He's at a perfect age to start the "densensatizing therapy". I never did obedience training with Zeus, but it is a great thing as it will expose him to other dogs, but I really really believe the problems he's showing right now needs to be nipped in the butt by you now or they will just get worse as time goes on.

The main driving factor for me doing the therapy with Zeus was my 2 year old (at the time, 1). Everyone told me "Chi's aren't good with children." I'm a firm believe that if you get a dog as a puppy, you can mold their personalities. Sure, some dogs are predisposed to certain temperments, but I think to a certain point, you can change that with the right training. Of course, on the flip side, I also had to "train" my daughter. (Train sounds like a bad word) She had to learn what she can and can not do with Zeus.

Don't give up, but do think seriously about the "desensatizing therapy". When I first heard about it, I thought it was goofy, but I humored it and gave it a try. It was the best thing I could have done for Zeus and my family.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree again with NoahFL. You are the boss and he needs to know this. When Riley did this to me and he tried to get nippy, I would put him in the crook of my arm and you can hold the back feet with one hand and calm and hold the chest with the opposite hand. Now, don't get me wrong, he is not going to like you doing this one bit. He will probably yelp and squirm and anything else he can get away with, or try to get away with-he might even try to bite you. But you really need to be firm to show him you are in command. I do not mean hurt him, or hit him, just control him.
NoahFl started this at a much earlier age, I imagine, so you have some catching up to do. But Mikey will not like you doing it because he will have to give the command to you.
I would think that after you have control, which may take a week or two, then your husband should probably do the same things with him.
Unfortunately, this is how small dogs get a bad rep, because they are in control of the family-but that is what they do in their normal family pack structure-everyone has a position-and the human does not know how to take over that position, so the dog rules. A lot of small dogs are given up for adoption because people cannot control them and as the get older it gets to be more difficult.
Please try to help Mikey, so that you are not disappointed with your choice in breeds-they can be a wonderful pet.
Kelly, don't misunderstand me-I do love all of my dogs-I would never intentionally be mean to any of them-but with seven dogs that live in the house with me, they have to listen to me. Even in the yard-which is only fenced on three sides, when I say no-I mean no and they had better behave. When I say outside, I have a parade outside and when I say go in-we all parade back in...but they all know this and I really never have a problem with any of them.. :wink: :wave:

·
Registered
837 Posts
NoahFL gave some good advice. And as everyone has said, you are the boss, and Mikey will learn this. Just be persistant with him and Im sure he will come around.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You all gave some great advice. Thank you Quickdog and Noahfl. I started earlier today putting Mikey on his back. He tried to play bite but that was all(that time). I held him like that until he calmed down. From the time I got him I always would pet him while he was eating and mess w/ his legs and paws, so for the most part he is used to that. I have truly bonded w/ this dog so I am going to do whatever it takes to get him to behave.
Now the funny part lol. My hubby is sort of scared of Mikey! He will not admit it but I know he is! If I ask him to put Mikey in his kennel or something or another he either will not do it or is hesitant to do it. Now, you have to picture this.. Paul (hubby) is right at 6 ft and weighs about 230lbs and here is Mikey a little squirt wieghing in at a whopping 3 and a half lbs! I told him today about putting him on his back and he looked at me like I was nuts and said Mikey will bite him lol. Now I know that Mikey has quite the bite. When his leg got broken I am the one that was trying to calm him down, before I knew it he bit in to my hand so bad, talk about hurt, his teeth sunk in to my skin! But come on, if I can overcome the fear of him biting me you would think Paul could too :roll: men lol.
I will keep you all updated on his behavior. But keep the advice coming if some one else has something to add.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LOL

I can imagine the scene with your hubby and puppy! We had a little mutt once, so much a mutt you couldn't ever GUESS what breed he was! He weighed all of six pounds, though. He TREED a guy onto a telephone pole one day. I felt bad, but it was sure funny to see this big man clinging to that telephone pole, a mere three feet off the ground but high enough to be too far for Maxie to reach him!

The funniest part is that Maxie just looked mean because he had an underbite but he thought the guy was playing! He wasn't the least bit mean, he just would run at someone he thought would play with him barking and this guy saw those teeth and jumped onto the pole!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol pammy, too funny. I know exactly what you're talking about w/ the underbite. I was looking at petfinder.com and they had a little bichon that had the same thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So cute! I love bichons.

I sure do miss my Maxie, too. Ugliest dog on the planet and just great fun. I used to ride my bicycle along the promenade (we lived in a beach town that had several miles of sidewalk right on the beach) and Maxie would ride in this wicker basket I had on the front. So there was this freaky woman in her sixties psychedelic jacket, a dog in the basket with an underbite and great squalls of grey/black wiry hair, a baby in a seat on the back with his arms sticking straight out because he was so little his winter coat made his arms stand straight out to the sides.

No wonder my family gave up on me acting normal. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts