Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm super stumped over what's causing my 8 month old's bad breath. Here's the story (apologize if it's a bit lengthy)

Neo has never had bad breath, his breath literally smelled like absolutely nothing. 2 weeks ago, he had a surgery to remove baby canine teeth. Anyways, I purchased simply nourish puppy chicken recipe soft food to feed him that for a couple days as per the vet. 3 days later I started dry again. He's always been very picky with dry food, so from now on I mix a tiny bit of wet food (just enough to coat the kibble) into his dry and he eats it fine. The dry food is Nutrience Infusion Adult Small breed. I did tons and tons of research to get him on a good food post his giardia issues (will get into that in a bit) and this is Canadian made, amazing ingredients.

Since his surgery and added wet food, his mouth now has an odour. It is not noticeable. I only smell it if i put my nose right up against his snout or open his mouth and smell. Kinda noticeable if he kisses you. It does not smell like anything I can describe other than plaque. No urine, metallic, or poopy smell. He has never eaten poop, and has never licked his behind (He can't even reach lol). His teeth are pearly white, every single tooth. I brush his teeth with enzymatic toothpaste daily since 5 months, not a speck of plaque (and he's used to me touching his teeth, he lets me see everything). I also give him a greenie sometimes, maybe 3 times a week?

So what could be causing this smell? Is it the added wet food? I read that kidney disease, liver issues, and other diseases could cause this. I know I can go to a vet, but I wanted to get some opinions. He does not have a single symptom of any of these issues, plus in such a young puppy? He's not in pain and acts fine. I thought maybe it's a digestion issue, but his stools are perfect. It kinda smells like plaque or tonsil stones. So i thought tonsilitis? Again, googled the symptoms, and he doesn't have a single one.

The only thing I can think of, which also kinda doesn't make sense, is giardia. Neo had giardia for 3 months. Only symptom he had was loose stool, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no lethargy. No medication or amount of cleaning worked, at first the meds would work but then the symptoms would come again. Then eventually even on meds, he still had symtpms, so the vet began to think he was becoming resistant to meds. So we stopped the meds since he barely had symptoms. As per the vet, changed his food to Hills healthy advantage puppy and his loose stools stopped. 2 bags later, I realized I didn't like the ingredients, or the fact that it wasnt a small breed food, so I switched to nutrience and hes still fine. Basically, his body never kicked giardia, I am 99% sure he is a carrier since we never got a negative fecal. So could giardia cause bad breath because of digestion issues even though he has no symptoms?

Lastly, this is my first dog, so I don't even know what 'doggy breath' smells like. Is what I am explaining indeed doggy breath?

Any help is appreciated! :)))

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haha,
Hi guys,

I'm super stumped over what's causing my 8 month old's bad breath. Here's the story (apologize if it's a bit lengthy)

Neo has never had bad breath, his breath literally smelled like absolutely nothing. 2 weeks ago, he had a surgery to remove baby canine teeth. Anyways, I purchased simply nourish puppy chicken recipe soft food to feed him that for a couple days as per the vet. 3 days later I started dry again. He's always been very picky with dry food, so from now on I mix a tiny bit of wet food (just enough to coat the kibble) into his dry and he eats it fine. The dry food is Nutrience Infusion Adult Small breed. I did tons and tons of research to get him on a good food post his giardia issues (will get into that in a bit) and this is Canadian made, amazing ingredients.

Since his surgery and added wet food, his mouth now has an odour. It is not noticeable. I only smell it if i put my nose right up against his snout or open his mouth and smell. Kinda noticeable if he kisses you. It does not smell like anything I can describe other than plaque. No urine, metallic, or poopy smell. He has never eaten poop, and has never licked his behind (He can't even reach lol). His teeth are pearly white, every single tooth. I brush his teeth with enzymatic toothpaste daily since 5 months, not a speck of plaque (and he's used to me touching his teeth, he lets me see everything). I also give him a greenie sometimes, maybe 3 times a week?

So what could be causing this smell? Is it the added wet food? I read that kidney disease, liver issues, and other diseases could cause this. I know I can go to a vet, but I wanted to get some opinions. He does not have a single symptom of any of these issues, plus in such a young puppy? He's not in pain and acts fine. I thought maybe it's a digestion issue, but his stools are perfect. It kinda smells like plaque or tonsil stones. So i thought tonsilitis? Again, googled the symptoms, and he doesn't have a single one.

The only thing I can think of, which also kinda doesn't make sense, is giardia. Neo had giardia for 3 months. Only symptom he had was loose stool, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no lethargy. No medication or amount of cleaning worked, at first the meds would work but then the symptoms would come again. Then eventually even on meds, he still had symtpms, so the vet began to think he was becoming resistant to meds. So we stopped the meds since he barely had symptoms. As per the vet, changed his food to Hills healthy advantage puppy and his loose stools stopped. 2 bags later, I realized I didn't like the ingredients, or the fact that it wasnt a small breed food, so I switched to nutrience and hes still fine. Basically, his body never kicked giardia, I am 99% sure he is a carrier since we never got a negative fecal. So could giardia cause bad breath because of digestion issues even though he has no symptoms?

Lastly, this is my first dog, so I don't even know what 'doggy breath' smells like. Is what I am explaining indeed doggy breath?

Any help is appreciated! :)))
I hear you. I am also a first-time dog mama and I've been struggling with this too.
Sometimes it's his stomach and has nothing to do with his gum or teeth. try to monitor when mostly it gets worst and if only happens when he is hungry.
I use toothpaste on him almost every other night. I find these are very good it has an enzyme that helps to kill the smell.
also, If you haven't try greenies Dog Dental Chews: Best Chews, Sticks & Treats (Free Shipping) | Chewy try the, Very good and my pup loves it.
Hope it helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts