Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milo, my sister's puppy, is now refusing to touch the grass. He had been almost completely house broken until yesterday or so where he now refuses to potty in the grass. He whines at the door to go out but u cant do anything to make him step foot in the grass. Now he eliminates in the house instead of outside. There has been at least 5-7 accidets since last night. Is this just a phase he will grow out of? Why would he be afraid when he has always gone in the grass without problem? This has really confused my family. Any help is appreciated!
- Melani

Oh btw- Blu does fine in the grass and has no problems stepping in to go potty or running around playing " catch me if u can" lol

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sometimes grass can be awkward for puppies. Honestly, if he's just being stubborn, I would suggest to your sister to just physically carry him to the grass with some treats so he can see it's not so bad.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
does the grass need to be cut? sometimes mine are weird about it if it tickles thiers butts. or did he get bit by a bug or stung, he maybe remembering that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the grass need to be cut? sometimes mine are weird about it if it tickles thiers butts. or did he get bit by a bug or stung, he maybe remembering that.
The grass was just cut and he's a lot taller than a chihuahua lol. No bug bites that we know of

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes grass can be awkward for puppies. Honestly, if he's just being stubborn, I would suggest to your sister to just physically carry him to the grass with some treats so he can see it's not so bad.
We'll try this and see what happens :) thanks! Although lol 25 pounds of struggling pup isnt always easy to carry!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think something scared him. I'd just pick him up, and carry him to his 'spot' and have a leash on him, so that he couldn't run back until he had done his business. You have to be quick about this, because you don't want him thinking its OK to potty in the house.

I had an irish setter who had ulcerative colitis, and after a terrible session, she didn't want to go in her yard. It had hurt, and in her mind, the yard had something to do with it. I just put her on leash, and gently insisted she come with me, and everything worked out in a day or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts