Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Christa,

Sorry to hear about Mimi not feeling well. I dont use any use any chemicals on my dogs, so can't comment on this product. Fortunately we haven't been bothered with fleas, knock on wood. Since you live in Lakeland, wondered who your vet is? We use Dr Latter. He is also fine with those that feed a raw food diet :) and doesn't give you a hassle if you decline vaccines.
Hope she feels better soon.
What about heartworm meds ? Do you not give any ?

I'm so upset thinking something I gave her to keep her healthy might
have made her sick.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I stay away from Advantage & Frontline because I've heard too many sad reports. Since my chi is allergic to fleas, my Dermatologist had me put her on Confortis, but I'm looking into a more natural remedy.

I, too, strongly recommend you take your baby to the vet & make sure it's an illness that will pass soon! Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Hey Christabelle, I have definitely heard of dogs having reactions/getting sick from Advantage. You guys are going to think I'm a weirdo but for next time I would try diatomaceous earth if you want to try something more natural for fleas. I'm in Canada and go through Rawpaw in Quebec, they ship to America but you might want to look for a closer supplier. But anyway here is the info, so scroll down and you'll see the d. earth. Products Page | RawPaw
Thanks for the info!! I just ordered some of that salmon oil!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So a vet tech from my vet's office called me back. She says that they
have had dogs throwing up after being treated before. She suggested
bathing Mimi in a soapy bath AND then suggested I come in and try a
heartworm med that was given orally.....

Just like that, like it was no big deal and hey come on in and dose her up
some more. Am I crazy to be outraged by this ????

On an upside, she seems to be feeling a little better, she's up walking around
and following me from room to room again. She's drinking water still but no
more food since the chicken. I'm going to try and give her some broth in a
bit.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
So a vet tech from my vet's office called me back. She says that they
have had dogs throwing up after being treated before. She suggested
bathing Mimi in a soapy bath AND then suggested I come in and try a
heartworm med that was given orally.....

Just like that, like it was no big deal and hey come on in and dose her up
some more. Am I crazy to be outraged by this ????

On an upside, she seems to be feeling a little better, she's up walking around
and following me from room to room again. She's drinking water still but no
more food since the chicken. I'm going to try and give her some broth in a
bit.
I'm sorry you're dealing with nin-compoops!! This is why myself & many others are trying to take matters into our own hands as we seem to know more than most of them!! I totally can understand your outrage!! So glad she's feeling better, but definitely try to wash that poison off. I don't give my dog heart worm pills as I don't feel a big need, but I know I'm taking a chance. Keep us updated on her progress!!

·
Administrator
6,419 Posts
How is she doing. They yellow/mustard is bile from having an empty stomach. I would keep her on chicken and rice until the vomiting stops, if you use broth (over the rice) make sure it is low sodium. I don't use any chemicals on Zoey. They just scare me. I hope she is doing better now.

·
Banned
10,736 Posts
I'm so relieved to hear that there is a bit of an improvement Christa.
I hope it keeps getting better from here on. I can imagine you had
a tough time. Sorry I could not help. I was so worried for you both.
Hugs to you and Mimi.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hi just checking in to see if shes better sure hope she continues to little by little shes sounding better my goodness we do all we can to keep them safe so we give the chemicals but thay make our little friends so sick im hopeing for the best

·
Registered
559 Posts

No, I do not use ANY chemicals/toxins on my dogs. In addition to my regular vet, I also use a homeopathic vet. My guys get regular blood tests to check for HW.

My homeo vet feels it is safer to treat for HW IF they ever got it, then giving them the toxins month after month after month. We try to be as natural as we can.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

No, I do not use ANY chemicals/toxins on my dogs. In addition to my regular vet, I also use a homeopathic vet. My guys get regular blood tests to check for HW.

My homeo vet feels it is safer to treat for HW IF they ever got it, then giving them the toxins month after month after month. We try to be as natural as we can.
Mary - Is your homeo vet local ? I would love to find one that is local.

Sat am - Mimi is a little better, she did drink some chicken broth, she also ate a little more chicken this morning. She's still not eating any full meals but she
also has not thrown up this morning so far.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Poor little mite.

You know, thinking about this all day and reading up about Advantage products just now on another forum - many are saying their formula changed for the worse, efficacy dropped right off to a point whereby fleas weren't reduced at all, in fact getting worse. I wonder if the product you've been giving (bearing in mind our countries have different ingredient rulings so I don't know how strong/weak your chemical levels are) could in any way have built up and up in her little system with some residual chemicals from the previous 2 doses still somehow remaining, and with the giving of the 3rd dose she got worse than the previous 2 occasions due to previous residue, therefore a greater reaction each time a new dose is administered.

This sort of thing can be experienced by humans with various drugs even though it may've been many months in between doses, i.e. with Chantix for example, 3rd course people can have symptoms and illness they didn't get with the 1st or 2nd course they took. Some people nearly end up dead with Zyban, others are perfectly fine with it.

It's so upsetting when we think of how toxic and chemical ridden our lives have become.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's so upsetting when we think of how toxic and chemical ridden our lives have become.[/QUOTE]

So very true! That's why I have chosen a holistic path for my guys. Look how long our pets used to live years ago before all of these nasty toxins/chemicals and VACCINES that are given year after year! Dogs died because of old age back then. Not the diseases we see them dying from today :(. Plus they were fed real food.

I lost my bichon, Maggie 11 yrs ago at age 6! I was devastated! She was my heart doggie. She died from kidney disease! It was then I began searching for alternative ways. So she was my teacher and the reason Jack and Jilly and now Benny are benefitting from all that I learned. I still think of her every day.

Sorry for the rant....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I gave some kind of topical flea treatment to my dogs (the ones I had about 22 years ago). It was OTC, not from a vet, it was a drop or two on the back of the neck. They all had a reaction to it, and one of them was 50 pounds! Scared me so bad, I never use anything like it again!! I have been lucky so far with fleas.

Actually, I don't know what I would do for fleas! Probably some solution with tea tree oil. I do give heartworm meds monthly to both my guys. That keeps down the fleas somewhat. Also, we treat the yard once a year.

I hope she is better!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yesterday was her first day of eating her normal amount of food.

( Finally! )

She was eating little bits at a time over the weekend, and with every bite she
would pause, almost like she was waiting to see if she got sick. Yesterday
she ate the full amount of both of her meals and she kept it down. She's
still not back to 100%, but she's much much better.

Mary - I think I am going to make her an appt for Dr. Latter this week.

·
Banned
10,736 Posts
So happy to hear from you Christa. It is such great news that Mimi has improved
so much. Who knows if it was actually Advantage Multi that caused this or not,
but maybe just to be safe give her Sentinel from now on. Sentinel is a good
treatment, I never had issues with it. Anyways, I wish you knew how relieved I
was to read about Mimi doing so much better, I really was worried for you both.

I hope you have a stress free day. Talk soon! :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad to hear she is eating a little more. Dr Latter won't be back until the 26th. I called the other day to schedule an appt for a wellness visit for my Maltese and they told me this.. You WILL love him! Be sure you ask for HIM. There is another vet there too. But, I always request Dr Latter. Let me know if you get in to see him :)

DR Latter's phone. 646 5683

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Mary - I'm going to call his office on Monday and see when I can get her in.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.