Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thank you so much for the vanilla ice cream tip. You know. She is walking around like she is a 30 year old dog. They normally sleep in high end condo cages at night, and they love them...but she had been having accidents...so last night I left it open. She walked around...pooped liquid with blood in it everywhere. Now, the blood in the stool thing I will call the doctor about, because that's not normal. but I also know that when they are upset or there is upset to the stomach they can have issues. I am also going to switch the food. She will not eat or drink, which someone recommended the corn syrup thing. Which I got just to have on hand. But this dog is in straight up protest mode. I did give her some chicken and rice yesterday, but I think that's the only thing she ate. Also, her eye are fluttering all of the time. HORRIBLE. While the seizures aren't as violent, it's like everything else has gone downhill. I wish I knew what was wrong, and had unlimited funds to find out. Part of the gig of having a dog :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Try a good quality canned food. Most dogs will eat that when not feeling well and they don't want to crunch through a bowl of kibble.

Did your vet pull blood to check for TBD (tick borne disease)? Just wondering as I knew a chi with similar symptoms and turns out he had a tick borne illness. He cleared up after antibiotics (doxycycline). TBD can mimic all kinds of conditions, including epilepsy.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :(

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry. I went through a similar horrible time when Smoke started his seizures when he was 4 months old. He was having 10 to 15 a day. But his was from poisoning and once the poisen worked through his system, we were able to take him off medicine. The continuous shaking does not really sound like a normal seizure to me, there may be another underlying cause, one that I pray has a cure. They had put him on phenobarb and the first two weeks Smoke was very sleepy, but after that he got energy back. He wasn't like he was off the medicine, but he didn't sleep all day, either. I know how scary it is, hang in there.

I went looking on the web and found this article. Since your dog has a white coat, maybe this is what she has?

White Shaker Syndrome - Page 1

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hey hon, I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for your little baby. I am so sorry you're having to go through all of this, I can't imagine all the stress....Just know I'm praying for you & your baby.

Happy late birthday. *hugs*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you everyone for the prayers and help. I can't tell you how much support you guys are. It means so much.

My husband and I know something is terribly wrong. This is just not lethargic behavior from the medication. Something is horribly wrong. She just lays on her side like she is paralyzed. Yelps when I pick her up or move her. and her eyes are like she is looking up and down up and down....

I don't know about the ticks, since I live in Las Vegas. We have something rare here called Valley Fever that can mimic the same type of symptoms. But the vet said he sees one case a year. They are like I said testing for infectious diseases.

My husband thinks that if something doesn't change, she will be dead in a week. Of course I don't accept that, and it's like everytime I've taken her to the hospital they say she is "stable".

Basically. What I need to do is wait for the vet to call me back, ask if this is from the Keppra ( which the side effects say nothing like this) --- and go from there.

If you saw here, it looks like she is a 20 year old dog. Overnight. She looks like she is in so much pain.

I am going to go the grain free route as well. Years ago I joined this forum after having a chi that had been diagnosed by 3 vets with IBD. Didn't have a solid poop for over 2 years, bloody stool. Suffering, and withering away to nothing. I joined here, posted my issue. Within a day, you all came back with grain free food. It cured her within a day. That's how amazing this group is. 3 vets really?

You guys are the best. Thank you so much for all the love and support :) Franny needs it so much right now :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just hang in there, the first few weeks after dx is a big shock. As soon as the medication is sorted and put on the right dose, she somewhat should get back to her almost oldself. There will be some adjust to do but once the news actually sink in, we will and can deal with the illness better.

The other thing you have to think about, all medication have side effect, I think your vet will mention this to you, every few months, you have to get her blood test done to make sure the liver is coping. The main thing is this medication can do some damage not a lot to the liver. So if you have the tests done often, you and your vet would be aware of that and fix the problems before it flares up. Sorry but I think it's better to bear that in mind instead of having more shocking news.

I truly understand what you are going through as if Holly was just being dx, even Holly's not a Chihuahua.

edit: Just make sure you are by her side when she has the fit because they are so loss and don't know the surrounding at all at the time when fitting. And make sure she is out of the fitting within half an hour the most, the long it is, the more danger she will become. Call your vet if the fit itself lasts more than 30 mins. It will take at least a few hours for her to recover completely. You know your dog well, you probably know how she was when having all these seizures.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Did you get an MRI done? It seems as if the medication has side effects that are not supposed to be the kind from this med? She could have a brain tumor?? I just went through that route, so I know how expensive it is-----. There is something called a springioma (spelled?) that is know in chihuahuas. Usually found in Cavalier spaniels. Untreatable, and very painful. Ask your vet about it----they'd know how it is spelled! Hopefully it is not that. Good luck with Franny. Sue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you all on Frances. Unfortunately this morning after a long night in the emergency animal hospital...we had to put Franny to sleep this morning. We are in shock and absolutely heart broken. She had severe brain swelling ( not actually epilepsy) --- and by last night had so much brain damage that she was not going to come back. We took her from the hospital to our own vet, and honestly - I am so grateful for them. So compassionate and caring. The odds were against our little Frances, and so the right thing was to end her suffering. We held her, and kissed her. She went immediately. Thank you all for your support and prayers. We know Franny is in a wonderful place without any pain. They bring such joy to our lives while we have them. When they are gone they leave a gaping hole that hurts so bad. :( THank you all again for everything.

Colleen:angel11:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So very very sorry for your loss. Francis knew how hard you tried to save her.

Edit: I will make a post about Syringomyelia so that we can all learn what it is and the signs and symptoms to look for. Maybe your experience can help someone else.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts