Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack is 5 months old now and I think he's teething.
He's been a bit naughty lately and I'm not sure if it's because of this or something else. The puppy trainer once said that they may go through a 'puberty' phase at one point but I don't know when that is or if it could be that. It could also be the fact that I've just been on holiday and my Mum was left in charge and she may have either spoilt him too much, or not had time to give him enough attention....

Does anyone have any tips for puppies going through teething? (like with little babies you can rub stuff on their gums but I don't think Jack would appreciate that unless it was meat flavoured!).
Has anyone elses pups started 'misbehaving' at some point?

He's just attacked the toilet rolls and made an absolute mess of shredded toilet paper - I'll have to upload the photos because it is quite funny (I was trying not to laugh and encourage him..)

Helen xx

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It sounds like it might be a little of everything!

They make "teething rings" for dogs ... I bought something called a "chilly bone" for Cooper when he was a pup. He didn't take to it all that much but you may want to try something like that for the teething.

Soft toys (cat toys work great) might give him something to chew up instead of resorting to toilet paper rolls! :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has all the toys in the world and he loves them, but unfortunately he seems to think tearing up toilet paper is more fun (and I have to admit it does look like lots of fun)....
I've moved all the toilet paper out of reach so now he's decided to pull the towels down. Maybe he just wants attention...

I hope it's just a phase and he grows out of it soon as he is usually so well behaved. Even his toilet training is starting to lapse...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Ive always said that dogs go through the exact same stages as humans. The puppies need such gentle care and so much attention like real babies. Then they get to thei "terrible two" stages and start causing havok lol and being little pains up the bums...
then they get into there teenage years and funny enough im 16 and my nans dog is just over 2 years old making her in dogs years just over 14.. so yeh 16. And she behave very similar to me. Im not on about she has a sudden love for makeup or anything lol.. she has these slight rebel times and its crazy I just cant seem to explain how similar her sttitude is to mine :? :D
And then my sister has her dog whos 11.. whcih in dog years would work out about 84 and she does have exact same attitude... so loves laying around and then suddenly goes a lil hyper and crazy and jumps about like shes still a pup lol Ireally do think dogs go through life like us. Teething can be a pain.. I heard by a baby teething ring but Im unsure if it will be too weak against a pups bite? compared to a babies?!
Anyway glad to see you around here Helen (your from the london chi meetup arnt you? :) )
luv stef
xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
all i know is every dog ive EVER had LOVES to shred paper of anykind especially toilet paper.
your best bet to stop that is just keep toilet paper and papetr towels away from him. as for some reason there is no game in the world more fun than killing the toilet paper tube untill its in a bajillion little peices.

for the teething problem, take one of his favorite softer toys, and just rinse it quickly uneder water (if its soft your just trying to wet the surface not soak it...) put it in the freezer untill its chilled through and tada instant teether.
next time you have a roast instead of just throwing away the juices afterwards take some mix with a little water and freexe in icecube trays. (this is also good for hot days when the dogs overheated) then on a waterprooof floor let him have it, hell love chasing it round as itll slip and slide and be difficult to get hold of, the cold will help his gums and hell love the taste.

they also make chihuahua sized kong toy and other toys specially made for teething puppies (they usualy have nobbly things and bumbs and grovves to massage the gums as he chews). however i found the ice trick worked perfectly for vixie and my parents spaniel when he was going through it.

another thing to try would be talk to you vet about 'safe' bones for him. we gave charlie the spaniel cooked pork joint bones while he was young (him and vixie have one as a treat ow and then. they love the marrow, it doesnt split (so its safe for dogs to chew on since no bone slinters) and the hard surface is great for their teeth.

NEVER give Small bones even to small dogs, CHICKEN AND TURKEY BONES ARE BAD!!! they will splinter. beef bones can be given raw but pork bones are best given cooked.

watch for dominance with bones however as some dogs will get possesive ONLY over bones.

othr mischevious behaviour will probably be stemming from the teething plus the whole...mamma you left me so im gonna show you wy not to do it again behaviour...chihuahuas are more like 2 yr old children than ANY other breed in their need for their parents attention.

reward the good, ignore the bad.

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie went thru a stage where he kept trying to get and tear up the toilet paper. After about 100 no's he finally stopped. If any other paper hits the floor he shreds it. Some of it is probably teething and puppy stages but I am not sure they ever get over loving to tear up paper :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts