Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread Lori said ask if there are any questions. She may regret saying that because I have 8 billion questions for anyone who can help. :)
I'll try to hold myself down to 4 for now.

Frasier is 4 months old and has had two sets of shots. He weighs 5 lbs. and seems very healthy.

1. At what age should the heart worm preventative start?

2. When his 3rd round of shots are due (about 20 days from now) I want him neutered at the same time. Will the vet do both at the same time?

3. At what age should he have been wormed?

4. He's my first male dog. How difficult will recovery from the neutering be?

Thanks,
Frasier's Mommy (Shelly)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi Shelly! Dont ever hesitate to ask quetions! You can start your heartworm prevention now. He needs to be atleast 2-3months old for that.
They can neuter as young as 5months old. My Vet is very conservative and will not neuter and vaccinate at the same time. It is just to stressfull for them. My two recovered quickly after they were neutered, just a tiny bit sore afterward. Frasier should have had atleast one worming at about 6weeks old, depending on how tiny he was? I would have the Vet check his "stool" for that. Iwould try to find a Vet who has lots of experience with Chihuahuas. I went through 5 Vets, before I was satisfied with the one I'm using now! Unfortunately, I had some bad experiences :( but that is a whole other story..... :roll:

Sandra

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
1. At what age should the heart worm preventative start? You could start it now!

2. When his 3rd round of shots are due (about 20 days from now) I want him neutered at the same time. Will the vet do both at the same time? The vet may do it at the same time, but I would advise having them done seperately just because I feel it is a lot to put a dog through all in one day. :)

3. At what age should he have been wormed? I think the first worming is done very, very young - 5 or 6 weeks of age?

4. He's my first male dog. How difficult will recovery from the neutering be?
Bosco was neutered at 6 months and the vet kept him from about 8 a.m. till about 4 p.m. Atlthough he was still dopey when we brought him home from the pain medicine/anesethia, he was fine and acted pretty much like his old self. Definitely after a couple days he was totally back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts