Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Good work Leila! It will get much easier for her as she begins to get in adult teeth. Trigger had a really rough time with his raw bones during teething.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found my small dogs kept getting sick from straight raw. I was very careful with the food, I've had restaurant training on sanitation, but it wasn't enough. I used some very reputable sources of BARF dog food too, but it wasn't great. These days the raw is microwaved a bit first to kill bacteria. it gets a little cooked. The vet recently also detected a common chlostridium bacteria and recommended a higher fibre content in the diet so I've been adding rice. I think it's helping but too early to know for sure.
I read that small dogs don't take well to raw, so how do you folks manage?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I found my small dogs kept getting sick from straight raw. I was very careful with the food, I've had restaurant training on sanitation, but it wasn't enough. I used some very reputable sources of BARF dog food too, but it wasn't great. These days the raw is microwaved a bit first to kill bacteria. it gets a little cooked. The vet recently also detected a common chlostridium bacteria and recommended a higher fibre content in the diet so I've been adding rice. I think it's helping but too early to know for sure.
I read that small dogs don't take well to raw, so how do you folks manage?
Dogs digestive tracts are totally different to humans so the acids have no problem digesting the bone. Bacteria isn't a problem I clean her area all the the time.

I would love to see where you read that small dogs don't do well on raw as there are a lot of us who feed Raw and our dogs are a picture of health and vitality.

Cheryl well done she did well!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like the way you think daisy doo , i have never heard any scientific advise against raw with small dogs. I have met plenty of people who are worried about giving raw but I wouldnt change back my dogs love it .
Please be careful if you are semi cooking the meat incase the bones are becoming brittle bone should be raw to avoid accidents
Dogs digestions are totally different from ours and are not affected in the same way as us by these bacteria. Think about the yukky stuff they happily eat if they get achance while out and about. Nice bit of poo goes down a treat with many dogs , rummaging in the rubbish and rarely to they become ill (not suggesting we allow them to do it )

it you want to perserve with raw read through the raw food thread and try with chicken wings for a few days , few dogs do have problems with raw it is their natural food , good luck

·
Registered
432 Posts
Way to go Leila! I'm inclined to agree with the others about the small dog thing. Harry's just had his first raw food these past few days and not only is he showing no signs of an upset tummy, but he's producing much smaller and less odorous errrrm.... 'droppings'! He's only had chicken wings so far, but I'll be adding more gradually. (I'm even hoping he'll get a chance to try squirrel and rabbit as nature intended, at some point - caught by one of his housemates of course!)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Go Leila!! She's doing awesome!

Anarkissed - you seem to have some wrong or outdated information. Raw is excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT for dogs. Big ones, tiny ones, it doesn't matter. It the best most species appropriate food you can feed. I won't go into it now and hijack Leila's great thread, but if you have questions - you can sure post them over at the raw feeding section!

Go Leila! Go Leila! Go Leila! :hello1:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go Leila!! She's doing awesome!

Anarkissed - you seem to have some wrong or outdated information. Raw is excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT for dogs. Big ones, tiny ones, it doesn't matter. It the best most species appropriate food you can feed. I won't go into it now and hijack Leila's great thread, but if you have questions - you can sure post them over at the raw feeding section!

Go Leila! Go Leila! Go Leila! :hello1:
Will do, thanks. I don't know where I read or heard it and it wasn't official to be sure. I've just had nothing but trouble trying to keep my dogs on raw whether I made it myself or bought it commercially. they always get the runs. I keep trying and I'll be trying the chicken wing idea. I don't cook bones, in fact they don't really get bones, the food I buy for them has the bones either ground really fine or they're not there. I try to mix it up and will try adding just a chicken wing or whatever.
I like how the chicken wing in this pic is almost as big as the dog, LOL

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Will do, thanks. I don't know where I read or heard it and it wasn't official to be sure. I've just had nothing but trouble trying to keep my dogs on raw whether I made it myself or bought it commercially. they always get the runs. I keep trying and I'll be trying the chicken wing idea. I don't cook bones, in fact they don't really get bones, the food I buy for them has the bones either ground really fine or they're not there. I try to mix it up and will try adding just a chicken wing or whatever.
I like how the chicken wing in this pic is almost as big as the dog, LOL
Have a look in the raw section you can read our daily menus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts