Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mods

There was a really informative thread on here I started called 'do you think your dog is to breed standard' or something like that and I can't find it anywhere :s

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ah, that's too bad.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Closed?? I can't see it tho so has it been moved :( ?

It was a really informative thread for people who don't know about the standard etc! It didn't seem out of hand to me but then each to their own eh :)

I'll start another one :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Once the personal information was put out there that it caused all sorts of problems as that is very taboo! and that since the thread seemed to have run its course we just moved it to thread heaven as it was causing so much controversy from so many members upset about the personal info being posted.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think it's a good reminder for people to know that information on the internet is NOT private. If you have a user ID that identifies you with a 2 second google search, then you are knowingly putting your information out there. Also, AKC's records are a matter of public record. Anyone can go on there and look up a dog. In addition, many of us have Facebook and in addition to your real name (if you choose to put it on there), there is a ton of personal information that people can look up if you don't have it set to private.

Sites such as spokeo.com have all kinds of information on people here in the US. If you look up your name and state, it even has a picture of your house! (Because the google street map site is public). Also, people in your family, and even what your house appraised for. This is all free and public information. I found it rather shocking!

If there is information that you don't want people to know, you need to guard your privacy yourself. Otherwise people can look up pretty much anything they want.

OH, on the spokeo site, if you want your info removed - just copy the URL with your info on it and go to privacy and put it in there. They will then send a link to your email to have it removed. I did it with mine!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The "personal info" was removed by a moderator I believe. I personally didn't see any personal information on there (personal info = phone numbers, addresses etc) the only thing I saw was the dogs akc name but that is viewable on the users website. The info posted is free for all to see on an akc website.

There was a lot of info in that thread and tbh I find it really sad that it's been moved. It was obvious to me that members didn't know what a chi is meant to look like and like a lot of people on here we want the breed bettered not a bunch of byb selling puppies which is happening more and more!

Threads like that will always be heated but we're a forum of different cultures and nationalities so there will always be conflicts as sometimes tone can't be detected!! I've been extremely 'upset' by some of the stuff said about me and have my own views on it!! But I haven't moaned about it.

However that thread in particular just highlighted some falsifications and in all honesty I don't see the problem with them being highlighted as new people who would read the thread I would have thought would think I'll speak to 'x member' as they obviously breed to standard (from what they said) and showtheir dog who's been pointed... This was proven not to be true and I personally don't see the issue with it!

I understand that we have a rule here that moderators cannot be questioned but sometimes I find the inconsistencies here rather baffling - it just comes across as if a mod doesn't like it the topic is Locked or deleted so if you have different views to the mods you basically aren't allowed to speak I find that quite sad as were all here to learn and discuss the one thing we all have in common - chihuahuas.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think it's a good reminder for people to know that information on the internet is NOT private. If you have a user ID that identifies you with a 2 second google search, then you are knowingly putting your information out there. Also, AKC's records are a matter of public record. Anyone can go on there and look up a dog. In addition, many of us have Facebook and in addition to your real name (if you choose to put it on there), there is a ton of personal information that people can look up if you don't have it set to private.

Sites such as spokeo.com have all kinds of information on people here in the US. If you look up your name and state, it even has a picture of your house! (Because the google street map site is public). Also, people in your family, and even what your house appraised for. This is all free and public information. I found it rather shocking!

If there is information that you don't want people to know, you need to guard your privacy yourself. Otherwise people can look up pretty much anything they want.

OH, on the spokeo site, if you want your info removed - just copy the URL with your info on it and go to privacy and put it in there. They will then send a link to your email to have it removed. I did it with mine!
I realize you can find personal information all over the internet about people but it is not kosher to post those things on a message board. I have to agree that this would have angered me as well. It showed her full name and address and due to that it was removed. I never would have thought that would happen and now that it has, a new rule about this has been posted.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The "personal info" was removed by a moderator I believe. I personally didn't see any personal information on there (personal info = phone numbers, addresses etc) the only thing I saw was the dogs akc name but that is viewable on the users website. The info posted is free for all to see on an akc website.

There was a lot of info in that thread and tbh I find it really sad that it's been moved. It was obvious to me that members didn't know what a chi is meant to look like and like a lot of people on here we want the breed bettered not a bunch of byb selling puppies which is happening more and more!

Threads like that will always be heated but we're a forum of different cultures and nationalities so there will always be conflicts as sometimes tone can't be detected!! I've been extremely 'upset' by some of the stuff said about me and have my own views on it!! But I haven't moaned about it.

However that thread in particular just highlighted some falsifications and in all honesty I don't see the problem with them being highlighted as new people who would read the thread I would have thought would think I'll speak to 'x member' as they obviously breed to standard (from what they said) and showtheir dog who's been pointed... This was proven not to be true and I personally don't see the issue with it!

I understand that we have a rule here that moderators cannot be questioned but sometimes I find the inconsistencies here rather baffling - it just comes across as if a mod doesn't like it the topic is Locked or deleted so if you have different views to the mods you basically aren't allowed to speak I find that quite sad as were all here to learn and discuss the one thing we all have in common - chihuahuas.

There are many different reasons why we do things here and how we decide what to do here. We get pm's upset about things and have to weigh in what has been said, what the pm's are upset about, who is involved, what the rules say, etc... We do not just go in and decide to delete what we want. It has nothing to do with our opinions as much as what the rules say and how one acts in the threads. I could see both sides on that thread but when it starts calling someone out and then shockingly posting personal information about someone then things turned. I even mentioned in the thread that I liked it and thought it was a good thread before those things were posted. I doted over whether or not to move it to show forum and just close it and would have done so if it wasnt for the picking on the member.

The problem is some members are so argumentative that light hearted talking about the breed has to end up attacking another member, trying to make another member look stupid or pushing opinions down their throats, bullying, etc...

We let you guys get away with much more than I see other board mods letting their members get away with? Maybe that is the problem? When it comes down to it if we do not agree with you and what you think is right then we are automatically wrong? and are bad mods? Or at least that is the way it seems to me?

What is funny to me is how we can please noone around here. If it would have been you that someone posted personal information about, you would have hit the roof, As most members would have. No matter how impartial we try to be or whose side we take on a certain issue someone is mad. Fact is we cannot please everyone and we are doing the best we can ;-)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
We let you guys get away with much more than I see other board mods letting their members get away with?
Wow really, do you think so? This is absolutely, by far, the strictest forum I have ever posted on and I have (and do) post on many. Most forums I'm on it's total free speech and you can literally say whatever you want. People are allowed to duke it on amongst themselves.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Removed as requested

·
Registered
881 Posts
Can I just add it didn't show her name or her address, I'm not going to be that horrible! just info about the dog, its not personal info at all. Most people who show dogs want to get there dogs name 'out there' so to speak. She was just upset because she was caught out making up pork pies.
I can re post it to prove her name and dress was not on it if you like?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I thought that thread was a little odd when it first posted. I didn't read any of the comments because it seemed like it was going down a bad path.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Can I just add it didn't show her name or her address, I'm not going to be that horrible! just info about the dog, its not personal info at all. Most people who show dogs want to get there dogs name 'out there' so to speak. She was just upset because she was caught out making up pork pies.
I can re post it to prove her name and dress was not on it if you like?

I sent you a pm.

I could get all but the screen shot up after I deleted it. I did see her full name as owner of her dog, that was below the screen shot. She claimed that her address was in there to but I cant remember, it was late and she was irate so I just went in and took it all out. Even if it is not in there, we still shouldnt post personal information about someone here without there permission not even a full name.

A lot of members will only use usernames so that they feel protected on a forum. I know as well as most of you know that most information is public and we can find out about anything these days but for whatever reason this makes some feel safe. I know that you didnt mean anything by it.

I realize why she was upset and we have spoke about that to.

·
Administrator
733 Posts
The bottom line is that the mods on this site are VOLUNTEERS and do what they believe is in the best interest of the community when it comes to actions they make. We know that not every decision we make will be a crowd pleaser but that's exactly what this job takes.

For the majority of the things we do here, the mod team discusses it BEFORE doing anything.. it's not like they sit there and unilaterally make a decision of moving or deleting things just because it doesn't suit them. In fact, the mods DO NOT have a dog in this fight (excuse the pun).

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thanks Yung!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yung/Michelle

I understand your points BUT if there's no consistency then it looks unfair to some members I got attacked really rude comments made and for once never argued back and a mod never ever stepped in and told that person off?? I've never said anything until now because I ignore it and tbh found it so pathetic didn't feel the need to!

You guys see me as argumentative.. I'm far from it just passionate about my beliefs and equality!

Michelles be nice thread was locked before I could respond but I was insulted by a user (who is now just a user here not a mod) who was commenting on a sarcastic comment I made in the raw forum!! We've been told many times to ignore stuff so why aren't others? raw feeders have been told here a few times raw is disgusting well that's their choice but again I called pedigree chum junk food and got my knuckles wrapped!

Bully is a very strong word and a very taboo subject.. Online bullying is illegal in the uk if I remember correctly from work... Ihave never seen any bullying on here from members.

A while back I had a couple of awful posts made about me which were fabrications (Michelle kindly supported me after I pm'd her) however I as the 'victim' asked for the thread to be closed and deleted and was told they can't on the request of a user.. So I suppose to me I can't see consistencies in places.

I have to agree with Louise there was no personal details posted and the akc could not put personal details up without the owners permission it would be too awkward for them as an organisation!

I'm gutted tbh I like this forum most the time.. I don't agree with a lot but I still choose to be here but it's noticeably quiet a lot of members have gone and it's sad and I was really proud of that thread!!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yoshismom quote - Removed as requested....

I'm 41 years old, so believe me I'm not posting on boards with a bunch of teenage upstarts. haha. The boards I post on have mature members as well. You'd likely be shocked at the things said on boards discussing subjects like politics. Boundaries are definitely pushed. People have strong and differing opinions. People are passionate about the things they care about. It's pretty much anything goes and a lot of interesting conversations take place because of it and you learn a lot. I enjoy it personally, and certainly never feel bullied or threatened. If I did, I'd simply leave the thread.

The breeding to standard thread was one of the most interesting threads on here in awhile. To me it's a shame it's been entirely removed rather than at the very least edited. That's my two cents.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yung/Michelle

I understand your points BUT if there's no consistency then it looks unfair to some members I got attacked really rude comments made and for once never argued back and a mod never ever stepped in and told that person off?? I've never said anything until now because I ignore it and tbh found it so pathetic didn't feel the need to!

Could you pm me this link. I did not see it myself or I would have done something about it. We are cracking down right now. I apologize that it was over looked. I promise we are not trying to play favortism here, it is just that there are so many threads and we do not catch everything.

You guys see me as argumentative.. I'm far from it just passionate about my beliefs and equality!

I understand this completely but it comes across really bad sometimes and if we start getting pm's from other members, they expect things to be done about it just as you do.

Michelles be nice thread was locked before I could respond but I was insulted by a user (who is now just a user here not a mod) who was commenting on a sarcastic comment I made in the raw forum!! We've been told many times to ignore stuff so why aren't others? raw feeders have been told here a few times raw is disgusting well that's their choice but again I called pedigree chum junk food and got my knuckles wrapped!

I locked this thread due to I had asked for no debating. I didnt want it to turn into a flaming thread. It was just a friendly reminder whether anyone agreed or not. I am allowed my opinion to. I just didnt want anything started. I did not realize what had been said and I am sorry you did not get a chance to speak out.

Bully is a very strong word and a very taboo subject.. Online bullying is illegal in the uk if I remember correctly from work... Ihave never seen any bullying on here from members.

Bullying is a strong word and when multiple members that are accused of being cliques here on the board jump on other members and will not let up, I see that as bullying. I get multiple pm's and reported posts when this happens and they to call it bullying. When I see this or get pm's bringing it to my attention then something has to be done.

A while back I had a couple of awful posts made about me which were fabrications (Michelle kindly supported me after I pm'd her) however I as the 'victim' asked for the thread to be closed and deleted and was told they can't on the request of a user.. So I suppose to me I can't see consistencies in places.

I can remember vaguely something that happened and their was a circumstance as why it couldnt be closed. Did Yung pm you on this one? If not then it may not be the same one I am thinking of. Yung has told us point blank that if someone posts something and wants to take it back that we can no longer delete threads for that reason. I am not sure why it was not closed? PM me and refresh my memory if you dont mind.

I have to agree with Louise there was no personal details posted and the akc could not put personal details up without the owners permission it would be too awkward for them as an organisation!

There was a full name, whether that was intentional or not
. Please see my next post.

I'm gutted tbh I like this forum most the time.. I don't agree with a lot but I still choose to be here but it's noticeably quiet a lot of members have gone and it's sad and I was really proud of that thread!!!
Members will come and go. Everyone gets upset about something here when it doesnt go their way. I hate it but it happens. You would not believe the members that have left because they think that we are not controlling the board well enough and are letting the "bullies" run a muck? Again it so hard to make everyone happy as everyone has different ideas of what is right and wrong. I got a lot of pm's telling me that you created that thread to put down the other Chi's on the board that were not standard. I took up for you and said that I am sure that was not your intention. You would be surprised how stressful this job is ;-)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.