Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my first chihuahua in January of this year from a local animal shelter. I absolutely love him, he has a great personality and is not much of a barker. I'm pretty sure he is a mix due to his size- he was around 9 pounds when I got him and he's up near 11-12 now, and around 15 inches long from his butt to his shoulders. It's probably a long shot, but I've been really curious about what he is mixed with and I was hoping someone here would be able to offer some insight.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just so you know, Chihuahuas can be big :) Its usually when they haven't been very selectively bred.

Perhaps its just me, but I'd say your little fella looks like a full Chi to me.
I could obviously be wrong, theres no way to tell for sure. Maybe a little terrier bred in somewhere but he has a very Chi face,

Either way he's absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on him and thanks for rescuing him. It sounds like you guys are a good match for each other :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He looks like a chi, just not one bred to the standard. I wouldn't be surprised if he is 100% chihuahua. He is just a big one. :) He's super cute!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
He looks full chi to me.I have two that are bigger Radar is taller and all then most chis and he is about 11 pounds and Rascal is 11 pounds he used to be 15 pounds but lost some wieght.
Radar is part of the Gaint Chihuahuas Club lol.He is my big boy.
Here is a couple pics

And his son is only five pounds lol and the momma to his son is about 11 pounds too.So it don't matter if they are big Radar has always been his brother that was at the breeders was even bigger and they both are full chis.We could have got papers on them but didn't so your very well may be full chi.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It only takes a generation or 2 to get a chi in the 10-12 lb range, even if the grandparents were tiny and standard! I think he very well could be full chi, I don't see anything else in him and I usually can nail mixes on the head. You could always try a DNA test but I say its not worth it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
One will never know that they have a full pure bred chihuahua when they adopted from a shelter. I know some are their say yes full than later find out not. I believe he looks Chihuahua but might have a hint of something else. the weigh is not a big deal either is the length of him...Chihuahua come in different shape and sizes. Your dog is sure a nice looking one. Glad he has you as a family now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you to everyone for your answers and information.. i knew chihuahuas could be bigger than the 3-6 pound range i had seen on most websites, but i had never seen a max of more than 9 pounds before this. he's not too pudgy, just bigger than most, and that's what made me wonder. i didn't know that some of them were just as big as he is.

and thanks for all your kind words about him.. i think he's a handsome little guy too ;). all of yours are such cuties as well! rescuing him was the best choice i could have made. i had gone to a meet and greet to see an american eskimo/pomeranian mix i had seen online, but we weren't such a good match. i passed by alfie on my way out and sat down to pet him and fell in love instantly!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with everyone thinking he is a full chi. He's just not very standardized. Most chis I think are around 6 pounds, but I have definitely known of some that are bigger than that without being overweight. However, I also know people with "big" chis who SHOULDN'T be so big and only are so because they are fat! hehe...yours doesn't look like he has that problem, though. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
thank you to everyone for your answers and information.. i knew chihuahuas could be bigger than the 3-6 pound range i had seen on most websites...

and thanks for all your kind words about him.. i think he's a handsome little guy too ;). all of yours are such cuties as well! rescuing him was the best choice i could have made. i had gone to a meet and greet to see an american eskimo/pomeranian mix i had seen online, but we weren't such a good match. i passed by alfie on my way out and sat down to pet him and fell in love instantly!

Thats more the breed standard, not the rule, that websites usually have.:D

That is such a lovely story and it sounds like it was meant to be ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a full Chi, AKC registered, that weighed 16 pounds at one time. His vet said he was overweight, so I started watching his meals and he lost down to 12 pounds, his perfect weight. He was beautiful, just big.

Jeanette

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Jasper is an 11lb'er. I often wonder if he is pure chi or not. He definitely looks and acts like one. But bottom line is that I love him like crazy, regardless of his dna.

Your baby is adorable and is lucky to have a happy home. And after all, that is all that matters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts