Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the beach yesterday. She didn't swim, but she did play in the sand..a lot. I'm sure she swallowed some of it. No change in her diet. Today, she's been very lethargic, runny diarreah, no appetite. She did eat one FULL scoop of her ZP around 3PM, after we'd been urging her to eat all day. That was her first bite of the day. She has no interest in treats or even human food. I tried to give her some to see if she'd take it. Nope. She is drinking water occasionally. She's wanting to just be under the covers and lay with me. I feel so bad for her. She's def not feeling well. She's got a vet appt tomorrow afternoon, so I'm hoping it clears up by then. I'm just wondering what is causing this...the sand? I have no idea.

Can I do anything to make her feel better, more comfortable? I read through the old forums. Read about the pumpkin but then again also read it's best to not give any food...so i'm at a loss

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
We used to have a spaniel that would always eat a lot of sand at the beach. (She used to like picking up stones.) The sand would go straight through her, literally, she would have streaming diarrhoea before we even got back to the car. She was fine after, just a little dehydrated. The fact that Miya feels ill makes me think it may be more than just ingested sand. The vet visit sounds like a plan, good luck with her, I'm sure she will be back to her old self in no time.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The salt water may have made her nauseous. I'd keep pushing the fluids and she'll probably be over it by tomorrow. If not, have your vet take a look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My little girl Frankie eats all sorts of stuff when she is on the beach (kelp, seaweed, crab, whatever she can find) and regularly gives herself a bellyache. Could Miya have eaten something when you were at the beach?

In any case, if she were my dog I wouldn't feed her for the rest of today. As long as she is drinking she is in no danger of dehydrating. Not giving her anything to eat will give gut a chance to settle down. Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts