Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy is 6 months old next week, her molera (soft spot on her head) is still open, i can feel it. Just wondered when it closes as i thought it would be done by now?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Some close and some stay open the entire life of the dog. It's not anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) not worried just curious. Must be coz her skull can't fit in all her brains so needs a gap ha ha ha ha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco has a huuuge Molera, like the size of a nickel! Oakley has one that is still open at a year old that's the size of a dime. Trigger's is closed. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to whether they stay open or closed...just means we have to be a bit more careful with the ones that have the open moleras and not let them run under furniture they could bonk their heads on and such =)

From what I have read, they may continue to close a bit until the dog is 3. That doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen that a few different places. So...who knows.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Maxie has a tiny one & he's 2. Mari has a small one & she's 1 1/2. Marley's is a bit bigger than the first 2 but he's only 8 1/2 months so I expect it may close up a bit more. Maya has a small one too. Maya & Mari are sisters & Maxie & Marley are 1/2 brothers. I think the fact they are related is probably a coincidence though...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bella's is still abit open. I asked my vet because I was concerned and she said that some Chihuahua's moleras stay open..Kinda scary..but it happens I guess..I wonder why some close and some don't?? Hmmmm..
It's strange isn't it? i could understand if it was just the tinies that stayed open but i dont htink it is

Bryco has a huuuge Molera, like the size of a nickel! Oakley has one that is still open at a year old that's the size of a dime. Trigger's is closed. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to whether they stay open or closed...just means we have to be a bit more careful with the ones that have the open moleras and not let them run under furniture they could bonk their heads on and such =)

From what I have read, they may continue to close a bit until the dog is 3. That doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen that a few different places. So...who knows.
I'm gonna read up on it i think... any excuse for me to research something i'm such a nerd!!!

Daisys was MASSIVE when she was Brycos age but then she was teenie tiny then too.. see from yours it seems to be the small ones stay open.. but obv not as some of the dogs on here are larger and are open!! no rhyme or reason

Both of my babies still have theirs open. Roo's is just a wee one, (she's 2 years old) Pip's is bigger (he's 3 years).
Strange - i still think it means they've got big brains to house!

Maxie has a tiny one & he's 2. Mari has a small one & she's 1 1/2. Marley's is a bit bigger than the first 2 but he's only 8 1/2 months so I expect it may close up a bit more. Maya has a small one too. Maya & Mari are sisters & Maxie & Marley are 1/2 brothers. I think the fact they are related is probably a coincidence though...
I didn't realise Marley was a puppy i thought he was over one already!! and all your others are closed? Its so bizarre

I've 3 with open molera's(smallest girls)...the other two closed up.
I wonder if its size/age related... hmmmm

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I didn't realise Marley was a puppy i thought he was over one already!! and all your others are closed?
Yep, Marley is our "baby"! :) And yes, Milo & Matilda both have a closed molera...and they are our biggest. I also wonder if it's size related because my other 4 are smaller. Not tiny Chi's just smaller than the other 2 (who are 7 & 9lbs & the smallest 4 are between 4 1/2- 5 3/4lbs)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lo, my baby girl, is going to be 5 in a few months. Her molera closed up just before she hit 3... I thought she would have it forever! She was 4.5lbs at the time.

Finn is going to be 3 after Lo turns 5, he still has a hint of a molera. But you have to know where it was to begin with to find the remaining opening! It's TINY, and I suspect it's just "thinner" there as opposed to being as "open" as it was when he was a baby. Does that make sense? :) He's just now topping 4.5lbs.

Dexter's is gigantic... bigger than either of my other two from the start. I was a bit worried, but his vet said it should close mostly, if not completely. He's still only 4 1/2 months and 2.6lbs so there's definitely time. :)

Just thought I would share my age/weight experience. :)

No worries, Daisy & Sarah!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts