Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a 10 week old tiny chi. Her molera has closed a tiny bit, but still big for her size. she weighs 1 lb. My vet raises chis and thought it was big and scared me by telling me she might not live long. Does anyone have a chi with a molera still? Every website I've been too says it is normal for a full breed chi to have one.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Many Vets will say that an open molera is a sign of Hydro. All of my Chi's have open molera's even as adults. As long as she seems healthy, and has no signs of illness otherwise, I wouldn't put much emphasis on it. If her head seems overly large, and her eyes are pushed out to the sides, or down, she could have something else going on.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. She runs and tries to play with my other dogs and eats like a horse! I have a 5 yr. old boy names Miles and a 4 yr. old Shihtzu named Coco and 11 yr. Pug named Rufus. Trying to find her a cute name?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You must share pictures with us! It's a requirement! ;)

Welcome, we are almost neighbors. I am in KS.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awwwwwww look at that cute puppy pudge!! She's adorable.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I see that you guys saw her. Thanks so much. I am in love with her. I pray there's nothing wrong with her molera. She is such a cutie and so active.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I went to your album, copied the code of the pic, pasted it in my message box, and added the img codes at the beginning and the end. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would just keep a watch on her. Watch for balance issues, eyes going to the side or down, sluggishness, etc. Anything that seems off for a 10 week old pup. She should eat normally, play normally, have a good balance, gain weight consistently, etc. If all those things are being met, I wouldn't worry. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
She's a very cute baby girl! :)
As others have said, the molera issue is something most of us chi owners have to deal with. Just make sure you are noticing any irregularities in her behavior and don't hesitate to ask questions here or with your vet if something seems "off" to you. It should close up mostly, if not completely, as she ages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts