Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very familiar with moleras since I've had chihuahuas for over 5 years... but the question is...

Why do they have them?

Do they serve any type of purpose?

Is it because their heads are domed and it's necessary for fitting through the birth canal?

Three out of my 4 have them, and I've just always wondered WHY!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Its actually a skull defect from years
of breeding them for the applehead look.
Thats why vets are sometimes nasty to chi owners/breeders.
Its a man made defect.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Its actually a skull defect from years
of breeding them for the applehead look.
Thats why vets are sometimes nasty to chi owners/breeders.
Its a man made defect.
Really?
I had looked for information about this at one point and could not find anything other than it was "normal" and a trademark of a purebred Chi.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Chihuahuas are born with the largest head to body ratio of any breed of dog, I believe. Because of this, like human babies, they are born with an un-fused skull so the head can moosh around a little during birthing. Part of it is the breeding for the specific head type, but it has nothing to do with a defect. Its seen in other toy breeds as well because the heads are so much larger than the bodies, but in other breeds the skull closes 99% of the time so you never hear about it. Deer headed and apple headed chihuahuas alike have open fontanelles so not sure you can chalk it up to breeding or man made defect so to speak. Just my 2cents tho.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I also wanted to add that open moleras are becoming less and less common in the breed, in some countries its actually considered a disqualification now, but heads are becoming more apple domed that are shown, so...I guess it would stand to reason the two probably aren't directly linked. Some of the top breeders in the country seldom have adults with open moleras anymore.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fiddle has one and I am always mentioning it and telling people to be gentle. They all complain about how I go on about it, So I am going to show them Emma's story (hope thats ok) to make them see! I have already emailed it to my sis and she said she was almost in tears just like me. I am hoping fiddles closes up tho.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The first time I took Chip to the vet when I got him, my vet commented on his size and his molera and said, "Wow! He's a real chihuahua... First I've seen in a while!" when I asked him about this he said that a lot of chi's he's seen lately are from pet stores and are not pure chihuahuas, although they are being sold as such for over $1000. He said the puppy mills are mixing in Jack Russel and some other smaller terrier breeds which results in a slightly larger dog that commonly has no molera, but still looks like a chi. He was thrilled with Chip and said it was obvious he had come from a good breeder. :D. Yes, I'm a proud mama.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Open moleras may serve a purpose during birth, but as others noted, they're meant to close soon after. Chihuahuas, as a breed, sometimes have moleras that don't, and because it's a common enough occurrence and doesn't cause any overt problems, it's a foible that's considered acceptable in this particular breed. It's not a desirable trait, but it's not considered a problem, either, by many breeders/judges.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Britney's never closed up, I'd say it's dime sized and Butter never even had one open from what I can remember.

My brother had a female chi who passed away not too long ago and her was really big, it was freaky to touch because of how big it was.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I guess I was lucky with Maya, because she was 12 weeks old when I adopted her and she didn't have any palpable molera.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Bijou has a fair sized Molera and it's open and I don't see it closing since AJ is only 5 weeks older and his closed aside from a teeeny little ridge I can feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts