Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got home from seeing our puppy. and the owner was asking if it is normal for mom to be still bleeding a little. she has a little bit of blood when she goes potty. and the puppies are about 3 weeks old. is this normal?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the owner should be asking her vet those questions...id be worried about buying a puppy from a "breeder" who obviously isnt ready to be breeding.

while its normal to occasionally have some discharge, i would sitll be taking her back to the vet to have an experienced professional take a look and make sure everything is healing up as it should, and hopefully opt to have the female spayed to save any future issues. iif the Breeder is asking a puppy buyer questions that should OBVIOUSLY be directed to a vet, they SHOULDNT be breeding. the female AND the pups life is at risk during any pregnancy!

sorry for the lecture, i just feel when it comes to health concerns...
the way i see it is think of it like its your child.
your 2 year old daughter is passing small amounts of blood in her urine, what do you do? have your frined hop online to ask a bunch of people on the forum or call the dr!?
you just had a baby, everytihg whent normally but now a month later your passing blood in your urine...what do you do? do you hop online and ask a bunch of people with no medical history, or would you call your dr?!

obviously the answer is call your dr, the same goes for dogs of ANY size...but especially one so little, please have the females owner call the vet and if at all possible, encourage them to spay her ASAP to prevent future problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first of all i do understand what your saying. but the lady that asked me this is taking care of her sons dog with puppies. neither one of them are real breeders. this is a one time thing they took her to a lady that breeds her male a lot. so they didn't just jump into like a lot of you will think. i just wanted to know if it was normal. i don't want the negative comments. not everyone has to be a breeder.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I still don't understand why a call to a vet hasn't happened :confused: I don't see the negative comments you metioned either :confused: We both were concerned for the Momma How is that a bad thing. We're not mean here but if you think we were you're probably too sensitive to be posting here. We love dogs & if we think someone's not caring for one properly it bothers us greatly :(

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
first off, no we dont all have to be breeders, unless your dog is being bred! this "one time thing" always both worries me and makes me laugh.

secondly there wasnt a mean word in either comment, unless you consider "not ready to breed" mean in which case the truth hurts...sorry.

i dont care how mean you think we are, PLEASE have her call the vet!!!
there could be something VERY serious going on. you are not a vet, shes not a vet, we are not vets, only a vet can take a proper look and tell you whether its something to be concerned about or something that would pass...and im not talking a phone call to the vet im talking an actual visit. it could be something as simple as a tear or it could be something else!

As i said, if your baby was unexplainably passing blood in its urine would you ask a bunch of people on a forum with no medical background or would you call the DR.
i hope your answer is call the dr...so do the same for the dog...there as helpless as a 2 yr old, had puppies or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not that I'm too sensitive to post here. its just you said i shouldn't be getting a dog from these people because there not breeders. not in exact words but close. does everybody get dogs from breeders. i was just wanting to know if any body had experienced this. i will tell her to take the dog to the vet and i hope everything is alright. no hard feeling. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
563 Posts
getting a puppy from people like that is just frowned upon because you dont know what kind of state the pup could be in health-wise... if the people arn't breeders and dont know what they're doing there wouldn't of been any tests done or research or anything to ensure the quality of the pups,plus chances are they wont be standard(again-not a 'bad' thing, but upholding standards is important to the future of the breed)..... obviously this isn't always the case-you can get a happy healthy puppy..... but it also encourages backyard breeders- and we dont need anymore of them :)
hope that helped

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the people im getting the puppy from are friends of ours. so its not like i just found them off the streets. and like i said before the lady that has the male breeds him often so she knows what she is doing. i do understand what you are saying but the puppies are in good health. and i will be taking him to the vet when we get him. when is a good age to get his first shots?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
testy said:
the people im getting the puppy from are friends of ours. so its not like i just found them off the streets. and like i said before the lady that has the male breeds him often so she knows what she is doing. i do understand what you are saying but the puppies are in good health. and i will be taking him to the vet when we get him. when is a good age to get his first shots?
The first booster is generally given at six weeks. When you take the puppy to the vet, just ask him/her for the booster schedule.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This same thing happened to my Zoe. After she had her puppies, she bled for like 4 weeks. We called our vet at 3 weeks and told them what was going on. She was just spotting a little and she would bleed when she would pee too. The vet said it was normal. The next week(week 4) she was still bleeding they still said it was normal. At about 5 or 6 weeks she was still bleeding so they told me to bring her in. They did a test to see if she had an infection and it came back negative. The vet said since the test came back negative what it was.....her uterus was not healing right from having the puppies so she HAD to be fixed. So we had her spayed. Ever since then she has been 100% better!! That could be the same thing wrong. Just thought I would share that with you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
thx katie :)

thats good that you know the people-that way you know the history of the dog- so if you feel everything seems fine with the pups-then go ahead :) we're not trying to stop you from getting whatever pup you want- we just want to make you aware or backyard breeders :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'd wait till 8wks to take your puppy home. I've read that pups should stay with there mother & siblings till then. Ideally, I think its better for their temperment & socialization. Your friend should take all the pups in for their first shots. If he/she has homes lined up he/she could just include the first visit in the adoption fee. I think our big dog was taken from her mother too soon(owners dropped her at a shelter)and she was very shy when we got her. She's fine now, but it took a lot of socialization. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
puppies should be left with mommy untill AT LEAST 8 weeks preferably 10 for smaller pups. any younger its seperating them too soon and can cause sociization issues later in life as well as cause a confused puppy, there generally harder to train too because there not left long enough with their family to learn how to properly socilize and be a dog.
and yes the breeder should be taking the pups to the vet for their first shots and a general vet check before they leave to go to their new homes.
its not unsuual for vets to prefer to wait to give the first set of shots at 8 weeks in toy breeds, in which case the schedual tends to be 8 12 and 16 weeks. some vets do give shots at 6 weeks in which case its usually 6 8 then 12 weeks.
i do suggest breaking the shots up though as chis are prone to vaccinosis. unfortunatly it means more trips to the vet, butits MUCH safer incase of allergic reaction whihc in a chi pup can be deadly!

·
Registered
93 Posts
In answer to your question, they usually pass blood, very small amounts for up to a month after giving birth. We've raised Scottish Terriers as far as dogs go, and many other types of animals as well. But, if she starts bleeding anymore, like in excess I would highly recommend going in to see the vet, or if her blood is discolored badly, since that could mean a uterine infection.

Hope this helps...

Dannie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, with most puppies we did it at 8 weeks, but since Chis' are so tiny, or at least mine was, i waited until 9 weeks. Mine was isolated though, so if yours is going to be around other dogs, besides your own, or many other people it might be a good idea to go ahead and give it at 8. Just as a safety precation...

Dannie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now I disagree with what everyone has said about not being as easy to train, ect., if taken from their mother too soon. The general recommened weaning time is 6-8 weeks. I got mine at 3 weeks, because of circumstances that were out of mine or the breeders hands, and bottle fed him after that until 8 weeks. He's exceptionally smart, was very easy to potty train, and is good with other dogs. I think it depends soley on the puppy in question.

Dannie

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
*sighs* ... I have so much I want to say about this but ... yes I agree with foxy, you DO have to be a breeder if you're going to breed your dogs, or you have problems, like the one they are having now. If they don't know enough to call the vet about something like that, they really .... *sighs*

I agree with foxy and Tara :p ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts