Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Christmas (so long ago) my daughter and son in law bought us concert tickets and booked a hotel in Nashville as a surprise for my husband and I. The tickets are very special - the only band on my wish list that I had yet to see.

I was so excited initially. :hello1:

Now, we're getting closer (we leave at noon tomorrow) and I am getting VERY anxious over leaving my babies at a highly recommended kennel here. I mean anxious to the point of feeling like I'm going to throw up...:confused:

Both were rescues. I think Gracie will be fine, but she didn't suffer the abuse and neglect that Pedro did, so I'm mostly worried about him. Leaving them with my son wasn't an option - he already has 3 dogs inside, Pedro hates the one who looks just like him, and I'm afraid the Golden doodle will eat Gracie as a snack.

I am afraid Pedro will think we have abandoned him. And, of course, I've warned them that he is a fear biter. Gracie is in heat, so I also have to worry about that. This is her first season, we're contemplating breeding her at some point (just once so my son in law and daughter will stop trying to steal her everytime they walk in), but she's very very feisty and rambunctious right now. She also seems a little more nervous than usual.

I'm going to take his bed and her bed and all their favourite things, and they will be boarded in a run together.

Any other suggestions on how to make this easier for them?

I feel physically ill at the thought of dropping them off and walking away, and I know these people are great with dogs. They board for my boss and several other people I know, who also treat their dogs as their children.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know how you feel, I never go anywhere without my dogs unless my sister can watch them because of my anxiety. You can leave something with your scent on it (like a shirt you slept in) and that may help them...but I think the most important thing is not to make it a big deal that you are leaving. Give them a kiss, tell them you love them and that you will be back and go. Don't linger and be theatrical about it lol, that will stress them out more.

Enjoy your concert!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I used to run a childcare facility, and I'm often struck by how similar we dog parents are to the human parents I had to deal with when they were leaving their children in my care. The parents' guilt, the anxiety, the nervousness, and typically these emotions were not helped at ALL by the kids' acting out, freaking out, getting upset, when it was time for Mommy or Daddy to leave.

I would tell the parents that their children would be fine. I would then offer them proof....go round the side of the building and look in the window, directly into the room in which you left your child. Watch them, see for yourself. And they would, they'd see their child, who had been flailing around on the floor at the thought of being left, or sobbing hysterically, or throwing a mega-tantrum, now sitting peacefully reading a book with me, or playing with a toy, or interacting with the other children. In other words, while there was momentary angst that they were being left, it was quickly overcome with a caregiver (me) who was willing to take a few minutes and engage the child in something, get him involved in an activity or with the other children or whatever.

I'm thinking that if this facility is anything like a well run daycare, the dogs are treated similarly. They are not just shoved into a cage and left. They're stimulated, exercised, engaged, and while I'm sure they will miss their humans, they won't be completely bereft and inconsolable.

If they're as good as you say, they're experienced at dealing with the many and varied situations they are presented with when dogs are left in their care. Understand, that just like me when a new child was left with me, for the parents this was a unique experience, but for me it was commonplace, routine, and therefore far less significant than the many emotions the parents were having to deal with.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they made it just fine...Much better than Mommy did, I'm afraid! I spent most of the weekend wondering how they were doing!

And surprisingly, Pedro wasn't a problem. The kennel owner made sure her husband stayed away from him, and he took up with her just fine. Gracie was the one who growled and carried on! Gracie loves everyone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts