Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the hang of this raw thing. I still get a bit nervous but have relaxed a lot from the first time I fed them their little chicken parts.

The bones still really scare me :(

And oh god, the bloody mess after....bleh. :sad3:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ronnie - I'm so proud of you! Look at them go! They are champs, for sure. They know just want to do. :) You will get to where you love to watch them eat. :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That is so awesome!!! Tango's eyes look like they are gonna pop out of his head...LOL!!!

Mine eat their bone in meal outside so we dont get the mess :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Good pictures,Tango looks a lot like my Fynn, i do like the idea of raw but not on the salmonella.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Salmonella is present in the environment. Dogs are not sterile. Kibble is certainly not sterile, there have been numerous recalls for salmonella in dog food. I personally don't worry about it, but I respect those that have a differing opinion. You have to do what is compatible with your comfort level. For me, the benefits of raw FARRRRRR outweigh the risks, but that is just me. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are so cute, and they look like they're really enjoying their dinner! Mealtime for Chip is my favorite part of the day. :p I always make Chip eat outside (I plan to have him eat in the garage in the winter), because he's a messy, slow eater.

@Sullysmom: A dog's gastrointestinal tract is too short for salmonella to be of real concern. :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Sullysmom: A dog's gastrointestinal tract is too short for salmonella to be of real concern. :)
Chelsea, don't mean to be argumentative, but I've had a bit of concern about salmonella too. I know a couple people, and know OF several others, whose dogs have gotten salmonella poisoning from raw chicken. It hasn't stopped me feeding them but still, it can be a problem.

I had assumed that if the chicken was good enough for me, it was good enough for my dogs. While that would definitely be true if I were cooking the chicken for them (because the cooking process destroys bacteria) because they're eating it raw, there's always a chance. And yes, their systems are MUCH more hardy than ours, their gastrointestinal tracts are quite different, and they can withstand much more in terms of germs than we humans can. They have a lot going for them to combat the potential of salmonella poisoning, which is what I'm counting on!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Primal recently had a recall on their raw cat food. While discussing the recall, they had this snippet from the Merck Veterinary Manual which was interesting on salmonella and how it can affect pets. I thought it worth re-posting here ....

Here's what the Merck Veterinary Manual says about Salmonella in pets:

"Many dogs and cats are asymptomatic carriers of Salmonellae. Clinical disease is uncommon, but when it is seen, it is often associated with hospitalization, another infection or debilitating condition in adults, or exposure to large numbers of the bacteria in puppies and kittens."

To translate: Many dogs and cats carry Salmonella in their systems (as evidenced by the presence of Salmonella in their feces), but they rarely become ill. It is just a natural part of what lives in their GI systems. When illness does occur it is usually associated with an already ill animal that is already immune-compromised. Illness may also occur when young animals are exposed to very high numbers of the bacteria. This might happen if a puppy finds and licks the inside of an outdoor garbage can that has never been washed and is teeming with bacteria.

Research indicates that approximately 36 percent of healthy dogs and 17 percent of healthy cats carry Salmonella in their digestive tract.2 The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) agrees with these numbers. It is interesting to note that these numbers are based on kibble-fed dogs - which means that Salmonella is a natural part of life for our pets regardless of what they are eating.

The resistance to illness in dogs from Salmonella is apparent in a study of raw-fed dogs in Canada. In that study 16 dogs were deliberately fed commercial raw diets contaminated with Salmonella. None of those 16 dogs became ill. Additionally, only 7 of those 16 dogs shed Salmonella in their feces.3 While it was not further studied, one might speculate that the 9 dogs who ate Salmonella-contaminated food but did not shed it in their feces effectively neutralized the bacteria.

Even the FDA, in the FDA Consumer magazine, acknowledges that healthy pets rarely become ill from Salmonella contamination.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Primal recently had a recall on their raw cat food. While discussing the recall, they had this snippet from the Merck Veterinary Manual which was interesting on salmonella and how it can affect pets. I thought it worth re-posting here ....

Here's what the Merck Veterinary Manual says about Salmonella in pets:

"Many dogs and cats are asymptomatic carriers of Salmonellae. Clinical disease is uncommon, but when it is seen, it is often associated with hospitalization, another infection or debilitating condition in adults, or exposure to large numbers of the bacteria in puppies and kittens."

To translate: Many dogs and cats carry Salmonella in their systems (as evidenced by the presence of Salmonella in their feces), but they rarely become ill. It is just a natural part of what lives in their GI systems. When illness does occur it is usually associated with an already ill animal that is already immune-compromised. Illness may also occur when young animals are exposed to very high numbers of the bacteria. This might happen if a puppy finds and licks the inside of an outdoor garbage can that has never been washed and is teeming with bacteria.

Research indicates that approximately 36 percent of healthy dogs and 17 percent of healthy cats carry Salmonella in their digestive tract.2 The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) agrees with these numbers. It is interesting to note that these numbers are based on kibble-fed dogs - which means that Salmonella is a natural part of life for our pets regardless of what they are eating.

The resistance to illness in dogs from Salmonella is apparent in a study of raw-fed dogs in Canada. In that study 16 dogs were deliberately fed commercial raw diets contaminated with Salmonella. None of those 16 dogs became ill. Additionally, only 7 of those 16 dogs shed Salmonella in their feces.3 While it was not further studied, one might speculate that the 9 dogs who ate Salmonella-contaminated food but did not shed it in their feces effectively neutralized the bacteria.

Even the FDA, in the FDA Consumer magazine, acknowledges that healthy pets rarely become ill from Salmonella contamination.
Interesting and informative post as always Tracy. Isabelle is doing great on raw. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts