Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noooo! Lance is now limping. :( We just got over the three pricey vet visits to try to find a medical reason for him peeing outside of the litter box.

Two days ago, I saw him jump off of our computer chair (which is fairly low to the ground) and he didn't seem to be able to land properly. We've noticed that he's favouring one of his back legs, but is still putting some weight on it when he walks. I thought maybe it was a slight injury that would heal itself.

What do you think I should do, wait and see if it gets better or off to the vet? I don't want to overreact and go pay for x-rays, etc. if it might just be a muscle pull or something. I should mention that he is an indoor cat, approximately 7 years old and we also have his brother. Both the husband and I have checked his legs out and there doesn't seem to be any cuts, lumps, or anything abnormal. He doesn't seem bothered that we touch anywhere on either of his back legs, but I know that cats are excellent at masking pain.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My staffy was walking a but like that! She would slightly put weight on it especially if she was crawling under the table. Turned out 2 b a pulled muscle. Mainly needed lots of rest, & something to take the edge if the pain! Took about a week to heal!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
I would watch it and if it doesn't get better then go to vet. Huly freaked me out a few years ago. We were painting a yellow stripe in my basement and Huly made this weird noise then puked bright yellow. He then ran down the stairs and acted like he lost the use of his back legs. I rushed him to the ER Vet which I HATE but I was scared he got into the paint. His vitals were normal so I would not let them do anything else (I dont trust them) and took him to my vet first thing. Come to find out he had an upset stomack (puked stomach bile which I should have known DOH) ran down the stairs and twisted his back ankle!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
When Jade hurt her leg a few years back, we were worried that she had broke it. Rushed her to the vet, turned out a sprain. After $120 we were sent home with Metacam for the swelling and pain, and told to keep her immobile as much as possible. My grandson was sitting Indian style on the floor, and all she did was hop down from such a very minimal distance. My vet said if an animal breaks it's leg, they normally will not bare any weight on it. Without an x-ray, it's very hard to say what happened, though. If it were me, I'd give it a day or two. If you notice any change that seems worse instead of better, I'd go right in. Very sorry to hear about Lance hurting his leg. :/ Hope he heals very soon. xxx

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think that we might be taking him in tomorrow. It looks like he has lost weight, which worries me. Although he was given a clean bill of health bladder-wise, he is still peeing outside of the litter box. All of these symptoms combined make me wonder if this could potentially be diabetes?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I've requested an appointment for tomorrow and am waiting to hear back from them. I know that I'm probably overreacting, but you never know. He was at a healthy weight but a bit on the skinny side anyway so now that he's lost weight he's quite skinny. Worrisome. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! We just got home from the vet a bit ago. My poor kitty. :(

We are SO happy that we took him in. They did blood work and he has a really bad infection that is definitely in his mouth AND anus and quite possibly in between the two. He has a fever and has lost over 1 kg of weight! He also has moderate to severe dehydration. They thought that they might need to hospitalize him but finally decided to give him sub-q fluids and send him home.

They injected him with antibiotics that will last 2 weeks and sent us home with another type of liquid antibiotic that he'll be on for 1-2 weeks depending on how much he improves and a prescription cream for his bum. We were also sent home with cans of prescription diet (which I would like to avoid but at this point we'll follow orders) that are for critical care and recovery. He was also prescibed Nutrical to boost his caloric intake and hopefully put some weight back on him.

As sad as it is to see him so thin, I'm glad that he lost the weight or I probably would have waited to take him to the vet and who knows what would have happened. We're back to the vet in a week and they'll be doing a urinalysis then as well.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Update! We just got home from the vet a bit ago. My poor kitty. :(

We are SO happy that we took him in. They did blood work and he has a really bad infection that is definitely in his mouth AND anus and quite possibly in between the two. He has a fever and has lost over 1 kg of weight! He also has moderate to severe dehydration. They thought that they might need to hospitalize him but finally decided to give him sub-q fluids and send him home.

They injected him with antibiotics that will last 2 weeks and sent us home with another type of liquid antibiotic that he'll be on for 1-2 weeks depending on how much he improves and a prescription cream for his bum. We were also sent home with cans of prescription diet (which I would like to avoid but at this point we'll follow orders) that are for critical care and recovery. He was also prescibed Nutrical to boost his caloric intake and hopefully put some weight back on him.

As sad as it is to see him so thin, I'm glad that he lost the weight or I probably would have waited to take him to the vet and who knows what would have happened. We're back to the vet in a week and they'll be doing a urinalysis then as well.

Poor thing! I am always amazed at how well cats conceal their illness.
We lost a cat to FIP a few years ago and had no clue anything was wrong until he was on deaths door. So glad you got some answers and were able to have him treated!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Poor thing! I am always amazed at how well cats conceal their illness.
We lost a cat to FIP a few years ago and had no clue anything was wrong until he was on deaths door. So glad you got some answers and were able to have him treated!
Sorry to hear that. :( I feel bad that we didn't catch this sooner, but you're right, it's amazing how well they hide it! Other than the weight loss and limp, we had no clue that anything was going on. He's kind of a high stress reclusive cat anyway, so his behaviour was exactly the same. Here's hoping that the arsenal of drugs work. He licked a bit of nutrical and we've been syringing water to him since we haven't seen him drinking. We found a little sore on his leg today too. Poor guy can't catch a break.

So glad you took him! With all the antibiotics make sure to give him some yogurt
Me too! If it wouldn't have been for the weight loss, we honestly probably would have waited to take him in and he was so dehydrated that it could have potentially been too late. What kind of yogurt can I give him? Unfortunately he's not eating much right now so I would likely need to give it to him in a syringe.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :( I feel bad that we didn't catch this sooner, but you're right, it's amazing how well they hide it! Other than the weight loss and limp, we had no clue that anything was going on. He's kind of a high stress reclusive cat anyway, so his behaviour was exactly the same. Here's hoping that the arsenal of drugs work. He licked a bit of nutrical and we've been syringing water to him since we haven't seen him drinking. We found a little sore on his leg today too. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Me too! If it wouldn't have been for the weight loss, we honestly probably would have waited to take him in and he was so dehydrated that it could have potentially been too late. What kind of yogurt can I give him? Unfortunately he's not eating much right now so I would likely need to give it to him in a syringe.
Honestly any kind. Huly loves plain (greek, fat free, regular) or blueberry. Also frozen would work too. Huly has ice cream/ frozen yogurt radar LOL I would also get some Pedialyte and give him a syringe full a few times a day to help with dehydration. You could also syringe some chicken broth (try to get organic if possible)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts