Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a preferred method of keeping the mosquito's and nat's off the pup's when outside? Summer is more than here and due to lost tax $$ the county has cute down on spraying....and we are covered with them! What a annoying situation:foxes15: I can make up an aromatherapy remedy I have, but it's some work and I need to order the essential oils, so figured if there is something on the market that work, might as well order that....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think she means like a bug light that attracts them and they die on contact.

I feel your pain, we live on the coast and it's HORRIBLE during the summer especially. My best suggestion is to stay indoors around dusk/night time and make sure you're up-to-date on your heartworm preventative!

I know a lot of people here don't regularly do heartworm, but our temps down here are perfect for infestation so be sure you stay protected, even if you find a product you wont protect them from every last bite.

ETA: I recently read that the CDC (center for disease control) is developing a new repellent that is derived from grapefruits. Now because it's not in the private sector we probably wont see it for a long time - but I just wanted to mention how harmful bug spray is to humans AND pets so definitely be selective if you find anything.

That said, we don't use anything on our pups other than the oral heart worm preventative and keeping them indoors as much as possible. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the exact same bug zapper and it's awesome. When we lived in a more mosquitoey area, our yard was the only mosquito-free zone...until a few more of the neighbors went to Fleet Farm and bought their own! When we're camping, we use a fan blowing on the dogs when we're by the campfire, and the gnats and mosquitoes have a hard time landing. I'm allergic to almost all of the chemicals, but the OFF Clip-On works, too. OFF Clip On Mosquito Repelling Fan, No More Spraying with DEET - OFF Clip On Insect Repeller - Epinions.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts