Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most important thing you have bought for your chi? As a new owner I would love to know what people have for their furbabies! Make sure I'm not missing a trick somewhere

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I would say Rolo's cage. Never had one for any of my other dogs but for him it's the best thing I've bought. He loves it. The first few nights he cried but I wanted somewhere for him to go when the grandchildren visit (2 14 month old grandsons) and for his own safety while we were out as when we got him he was so tiny. He has everything he needs in there plus his squashy bed and its so nice having piece of mind that he's not getting up to anything while I'm out.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I would have to say Jaxx's cage and good quality food.
Jaxx's cage made potty training simple! He was with me all day where I could see him so night times were our only concern for accidents. Jaxx loves his cage and anytime he feels unsafe or even just cold he will go to his cage. I have heard a lot of people say that Chis are very hard to house train but Jaxx was the quickest and easiest dog I have ever house trained and I give some of the credit to the crate and the other credit to making sure he was never out of my sight.

Food is so important to dog's health that I would also consider a good quality food one of the most important things I have bought for Jaxx.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Everyone has covered the things I would have said. His crate made me feel so much better when I had to leave him alone. I keep it in my bedroom so he can't use it durning the day but it means that at night I can see him, he's with us, he can't get into trouble, pee on the floor and he sleeps until I get up rather than deciding he wants to run around at 5am which I imagine he might do if he wasn't crate trained. Other obvious things include his lead and harness because a collar is too hard on their delicate trachea and he loves his walks, they're integral to his health but I also found that it's integral to his behaviour, especially during the boisterous puppy months.

The most important thing I would say is good quality food. I feed Ziwipeak, an air dried raw but I also feed one meal raw a day. The ZP means I don't have to worry about balancing the raw. Since I started feeding it without fail his coat has been really smooth and shiny, more than any shampoo or conditioner I've ever seen. His teeth were perfectly white and are now coming out without any problems to make way for his adult teeth. I love how much he enjoys his raw meal. But most of all I know that good food can lengthen his life expectancy and health in general and means he can spend as long with me as possible.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys :) Arnie is 6mnths old and we have had him two weeks this Friday. He has settled down straight away into our home and hearts! I've been reluctant about crating him but think it might be the way forward to help with his potty training. We r yet to switch him to a raw food diet as he is SO fussy with food. We got his normal brand in a different flavour and he didn't eat for a day as he is wary about anything new. That goes for toys too. Is this normal behaviour? He will run up to a new toy or treat. Sniff. Run away. Lick. Run away, and repeat this process for about 5 mins. We have to sit there and keep reassuring him that its ok to eat/play! Funny little thing xx

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I did not use half of the things that I bought for the new puppy. I showed up at the breeder's home to collect him with four different carriers to drive him home in. Now I know she was trying not to laugh. When I asked what one she thought he'd prefer...she said if you don't wont to hear crying the whole way home use your lap...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Their crates, hands down! I'm still recovering from a very crazy move and if I hadn't had their crates, that they were already comfortable in and consider their safe place, I'm really not quite sure how I would have managed this move. They are the single most valuable investment I've ever made in them (other than superior quality food.)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Adding to the list of things everyone already mentioned (the crate is a BIG one, a place for them to call their own is important in my opinion)... a little random thing that now I'm so happy I got was a puppy nail trimmer. Sounds weird but I used it once a week probably - her nails grow FASTTTT and I didn't want her to be one of those dogs that are terrified of having her paws grabbed and nails trimmed. So I used it gently all the time and now she could not care less about having her paws/toes prodded at.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
almost everythin is essential! :lol:
puppy playpen, food, treats for training, toys and chew toys, warm clothes for the colder days, puppy pads if ur using them, nice water and food bowls, a cute carrier or 2 or 3 HA!...to socialize in and take to the vet. :albino: oh and yes a doggy seat for the car ^^ oh yes a harness that fits too! i invested in scrappypet harness as its recycled material :) or u can do a buddybelt or lil pals from petco if theyre a tiny pup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts