Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since diegos mom brought up doggles it made me think of a question to ask...... does anyone here ride a bike and take their dogs with them??? if so how do they travel with you??? ive debated getting one of those crates that attach to teh back...btu im not 100% convinced yet....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
you can get specially made seats for the bikes, or you can make them fairly easy (especially if your bike has a luggage rack) the other method is to have the passenger have a carrier on and puppy rides in the carrier.

some dogs LOVE it, some never get used to it.
rosie will be having her first ride in the spring, shell be riding in a carrier with my mum for now, but im designing a seat for her that will attatch securly to the passenger seat on the bike!

if your gonna bike with your dogs PLEASE invest in the time needed to get them used to doggles...

http://www.bikerdogsmc.org/

there are ALOT of biker dogs out there lol.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the road hound crates are AWSOME! they last forever and look cool too! i do suggest if your gonna ride with your dog (even in a crate) get them used to the doggles...eye protection is a MUST!

most dogs love it, just introdece slowly!

·
Registered
64 Posts
What happens if you fall or crash? The dog is unrestrained isn't it? Tony is restrained in the golf cart and the car. He isn't the most sure footed in a moving vehicle and if I had to stop fast or short, he'd go flying. Sounds like fun though - sun, fresh air and my baby! Still, I wouldn't risk my childrens safety or Tony's. Maybe if you're looking for exercise, a stroller and good walking shoes would be safer.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
not so much actually, the cycle crate in the link posted is fully enclosed and padded inside it also comes with a restraint strap so even in a sudden stop its safe.
and in a fall the metla cage protects the dog.

for those riders who dont have the road hound carriers, many use front packs in whihc the dog is secure so only the head is peeping out. you can also get pads made for the gas tank again with restraint straps to be clipped to the harnes for larger dogs.

i would NEVER suggest anyone ride with their dog unrestrained (same as my belife in the importance of your dog being clipped in in the car too!)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I ride a 4 wheeler in the summer and I have thought about doing this. I'm just scared that they'll be hurt so I don't. I've come to some pretty sudden stops (bone jarring if you know what I mean) and I just don't think my dogs would be happy with that - even with a harness and padded walls. Also, the mud!! I come back to camp covered so I can't imagine what the poor dog would look like (that's kind of a funny thought though).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We were going to go with a strap on harness and have Elvis ride with me zipped up in my jacket to boot, but we never tried it and he's developed into a giant chi and I'm not convinced he'd fit or it's safe enough for him.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
ive seen people do that with dogs up to around 10lbs...after that their own seat is much easier on everyone lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts