Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I got another chi Bailey a couple of months ago, he is a long coat. When I got him he was really fluffy, he has been moulting quite a lot which I'm guessing is down to the time of year and he is now no where near as fluffy as he was. Is this normal? I've never had a long coat before and I'm a little concerned about the amount of fur that's coming off him when I brush him, it is also being left all over the carpet. He was fed on bakers complete for small dogs :shock: when I got him and I swapped him to orijen and ziwi peak which he has now. How often should I brush him? Because of the amount of fur falling out I've been giving him a quick brush once a day to try get the loose fur so there isn't as much on the carpet, is this too often? I really don't want a bald chihuahua! I just need to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with him.
Thanks in advance for any info from you guys :) x

·
Registered
68 Posts
my long hair is going through the same thing at the mo! though she still looks as fluffy as ever!! ;) but she is not as fluffy as yours. sorry cna't help you though...but i heard that some chi's go through a face where they loose most of their fur?! could be wrong. i'm sure someone more knowledgable is coming along soon! :) I only had my pup fur a short while, so I'm still leaning too!! :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
We call it the puppy uglies and all Long Coats go through it. They are seasonal shedders and if they are shedding a good bit you can brush as often as you like. Some coats are a little courser and some softer so the different textured coats shed a bit differently. The coat will grow back out and longer. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I can stop worrying now! Just another question.. Bailey is mainly black but alot of the fur coming out is white and fluffy, is this normal? Gosh you guys are going to think I'm stupid lol! What would I do without you! :) x

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sounds like her Uglies to me, she will be just fine. If You start seeing bald patched then I may take her to the vets. Have you thought of buying a furminator? I've heard those brushes just work wonders may save your carpets ; p

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The white and fluffy is his undercoat. He must be a double coated LC. It's all normal. I only have a single coat LC. I brush Reggie as oftern as he needs. It won't make them bald, all it will do is save your rugs and carpet and saves you from having to pick it up later. Dogs lose their coats twice a year. It's more noticable in the spring moult as they are losing their long winter coat. They also shed in the fall, lose their summer coat and then their winter coat will come in. It was a bit of a shock when Reggie shed last summer, he went to half the dog he was. lol but it all grew back this past winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same with Honey, she's lost so much fur, but did last year too. I think her tail looks a bit straggly compared to when it's 'full', but it'll come back at the end of summer. Gary, our little short hair, looks no different :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like her Uglies to me, she will be just fine. If You start seeing bald patched then I may take her to the vets. Have you thought of buying a furminator? I've heard those brushes just work wonders may save your carpets ; p
Hi, no theres no bald patches at all. He just looks half the size he was a few weeks ago! Yes I have a furminator that I use for Charlie but thought I'd read on the instructions not to use on long haired dogs :confused: It is excellent though on Charlie when it gets to the shedding time of year! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same with Honey, she's lost so much fur, but did last year too. I think her tail looks a bit straggly compared to when it's 'full', but it'll come back at the end of summer. Gary, our little short hair, looks no different :)
Yep Baileys tail looks straggly too! He was so bushy when I got him, I'd never seen a chihuahua so fluffy! Do Honey and Gary like to sunbathe? Charlie will find the warmest spot in the garden and stay ther as long as poss but Bailey finds the shade! Charlie also likes to get tucked into his bed at night where Bailey sometimes gets out of his bed to lay on the floor, he must get too warm with all that fur! X

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The white and fluffy is his undercoat. He must be a double coated LC. It's all normal. I only have a single coat LC. I brush Reggie as oftern as he needs. It won't make them bald, all it will do is save your rugs and carpet and saves you from having to pick it up later. Dogs lose their coats twice a year. It's more noticable in the spring moult as they are losing their long winter coat. They also shed in the fall, lose their summer coat and then their winter coat will come in. It was a bit of a shock when Reggie shed last summer, he went to half the dog he was. lol but it all grew back this past winter.
Yeah Bailey looks half the size now! Glad everything is normal, it did shock me a bit to see the difference in him! Bailey doesnt seem to get cold like Charlie, obviously because he has much more fur, but in winter will he still need clothes to keep him warm or will he be warm enough? In winter Charlie likes to have a jumper on and i warm him a cat heat pad up, he's just like me always cold! X

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Reggie gets upset if I have coats on the other dogs during the winter and he doesn't have one on, so I got him a thin t shirt to wear and he's very satisfied. As soon as I break out the coats, Gonzo is first in line, tries to help me put it on him, then Reggie is next. lol Just see if he looks cold. You may have to only put one on if you take him outside, but let him tell you what he needs.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aww bless that's so sweet that he doesn't want to feel left out! How many dogs do you have? Do you walk them all at the same time? I get in a tangle with 2 lol! X

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's gorgeous! What kind of brush do you use to brush him? Does his coat go quite thin in the summer? Bailey looks to have the same coat thickness as Darcy, well he did till a couple of weeks ago! Thanks for showing the pics :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to add I love the 1st pic he looks soo cute! I wish I couldve seen Bailey when he was a little puppy, I don't even know how old he is! The vet said he is around 18months x

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Aww bless that's so sweet that he doesn't want to feel left out! How many dogs do you have? Do you walk them all at the same time? I get in a tangle with 2 lol! X
Um, I have 9 chihuahuas and two chi mixes. They are mostly all rescues or strays and some are special needs chis. And I don't walk them, I have an ankle I destroyed falling down some stairs. But I have a huge backyard they get to run around in, best I can do.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Um, I have 9 chihuahuas and two chi mixes. They are mostly all rescues or strays and some are special needs chis. And I don't walk them, I have an ankle I destroyed falling down some stairs. But I have a huge backyard they get to run around in, best I can do.
Aww bless your heart rescuing all those little doggys! I'm sure they don't care about walks anyway, you're giving them love and that's what matters, well done to you x

1 - 20 of 20 Posts