Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible?

Lily and Daisy have slept in the bed with us since they were puppies. Daisy 7 week and Lily 10 weeks. They are just over 2.

Now that we added Riley and Roxy, there's just NOT enough room in our queen-sized bed for all 6 of us (DH, me, and 4 dogs). It's starting to impact our sleep so I'm considering making the change to crate them at night.

Will s*&t hit the fan the first night? I'm thinking about getting three crates. One for Lily and Daisy to share and one each for Riley and Roxy. Daisy and Lily have always slept together so I don't think they'd do well if we separated them. The crates will be in our room, next to our bed.

Opinion, ideas, advice?

FWIW- Lily and Daisy haven't spent ANY time in a crate. We used to use an x-pen when we were gone but once they got out of the terrible puppy stage, we gave them free reign.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would possibly crate roxy and Riley immediately at night mainly coz roxy is a puppy and should take to it ok ad Riley being a rescue I would have thought would have been in a crate

With the older two I'd introduce slowly during the day and go from there start by Coaxing them into it with food

I only suggest this coz the noise will be awful if u pit them straight in

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My neighbour crate trained his Yorkie/Poodle mix after 4 years of sleeping in the bed - He had to put the pillows he'd been sleeping on (and buy himself some new ones) in the crate with her to get her to settle quietly! Maybe something with your smell on with them might be an idea for at least the first few nights.

Although admittedly, im not the best person to answer, I didnt even crate train Maisie!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mia and Bailey slept with us...until Addy came along. I have a large crate and what I did was make it cozy for them. I purchased a crate cover and made a nice bed inside. The crate is in our room next to our bed. During the day the crate is left open so they do have the option to use it....and they often do. The first week was tough with lots of crying but now....I have no problems. I will admit....sometimes I will let them sleep with me....usually only 1 night is all I can take now.....and they will go back to the crate no problems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My chi surprisingly learned to sleep in her crate rather easily! I thought she would be devastated when I moved in with my boyfriend who says "No dogs on the bed!" But even from the first night she was pretty much fine after a few minutes of wondering why she wasn't with us.

Good luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's possible but I would explore a couple of other options as well.

1. You can keep the older two in the bed and crate the other two at night. Riley is used to a crate. She was transported in a little one and didn't make a peep. She slept in one that was 2'x4' when she first got here before she was graduated to a run. Roxy is a pup so should be crate trained anyway, IMHO. I'm of the opinion that if they are started with crate training, if there's ever a reason to keep them confined, they will be OK and not stressed to further illness. It's also best if you need to determine who is eating/not eating, etc., when you have multiples. I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, however, having had dogs over the years who have broken a leg, been sick with long term illnesses, etc., I think it's better for them if they feel secure in a crate versus freaked out.

2. If you think it's unfair to crate 2 and let the others sleep in the bed, or you just want your bed back, why not consider putting the older two back in an x-pen? They are used to that and can be in one together with plenty of room. You can use individual crates for the two new ones and set them up next to, or across the room from, the x-pen. That also works well to give them some down time from the youngsters. vbg

If you decide to go with crates all around, I'd start on the week-end where sleep deprivation isn't a problem. :D It may not be a problem but after 2 years, I'd expect some vocalization on their displeasure on losing the bed. You can start with small amounts of time in the crate and work your way up to over night if they insist they don't like it. High value treats when they are first in the crates will help too.

Keep us posted. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts