Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be moving in a month or two. I'll go from sharing the upper floor of my roommate's house to occupying a small but entire house with my friend. In deference to my current roommate's possessions, my dogs are primarily confined to a couple rooms and a long hallway upstairs, so they're not at all used to having the run of an entire house. Also this house is hardwood, whereas the majority of the house I'm buying is carpet, and this is going to be a big change for both my dogs.

If I go visit someone and bring the dogs with me, Tango has a tendency to get all testosterone-ish and lift his leg on one or two things just to assert whatever the heck it is he thinks he needs to assert. :mad: I know he's likely to do it, so I watch for it so I can head it off. It doesn't matter that he pees a bucketful (well, relatively speaking) right before we come inside, he manages to squeeze out a few more drops just to be all manly. I imagine he's going to want to do the same at the new place. Jazz usually just runs around all derpy and excited.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions as to how to transition them to a new environment, a very different kind than they're used to. And to sharing space with a man instead of a woman. Jazz doesn't care, but Tango has been known to get a bit antsy around big men, a category my new roommate fits. He may be fine, and my roommate is excited about living with the dogs, so is very much on-board with working with them, (especially Tango) to acclimate them to him.

Mainly I'm concerned with how to get them used to the new place without a bunch of pee accidents on my brand new carpet :( And to get them to understand that THE WHOLE HOUSE is their den, and not just a corner of it, like they are used to here.

· Registered
6,181 Posts
First get a bellyband for Tango. Then forget about introducing them to the whole house at first. Just the kitchen or one room. A playpen would be a good investment. You can not watch them 24/7. A pen is the answer for when you go out, or are not watching them. Then GRADUALLY let them out to explore.

I have a house, and 4 dogs. Only 1 of my dogs has free range. One is in the kitchen (sheltie) one is free, and two are in playpens, when we are gone. IMO it just isn't worth the problems that dogs can get into when in a group! We have no chewed furniture, our couches, chairs etc are in good condition---no chewing! However the house looks messy, 'cause there are toys all over!

· Premium Member
5,035 Posts
I think they will do fine, we have brought ours on holiday with us to different houses, and once you are there and keep their routine, feeding, loo breaks etc, it very quickly as in a day or so becomes home.

Good luck with the move :)!!

· Registered
809 Posts
I second the idea that to start with they only need access to one or two rooms with liberal use of crates or a pen (I forget if you use crates). I'm not a fan of belly bands but if you think it would be a good idea then by all means. I would rather watch my dog and correct the leg lifting and crate when not watching. When they start to feel more at home over the next few days/weeks/months they can have more access to the rest of the house. No freedom without earning it though! :) To help Tango learn to love the new roommate I would have him feed and help walk Tango for a few days, and maybe find a special treat that only he gives Tango to help Tango associate really good thoughts with this new large guy.

I did want to say congratulations on the move!!! How exciting! I know you will love having a whole house to share with just one other person. Enjoy!

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Olivia! Haven't seen you around in forever. Hi :ngreet2:

I second the idea that to start with they only need access to one or two rooms with liberal use of crates or a pen (I forget if you use crates).
Yes, I crate. They love their crates, having learned to associate them with good things like treats, and safety. I figured I'd start them in the kitchen (tile floor so easy cleanup if there are accidents) and gradually introduce them to the rest of the house bit by bit.

I'm not a fan of belly bands but if you think it would be a good idea then by all means. I would rather watch my dog and correct the leg lifting and crate when not watching. When they start to feel more at home over the next few days/weeks/months they can have more access to the rest of the house. No freedom without earning it though! :)
This brings up a question I forgot to ask, that may not actually be answerable. How long should this evolution take? Should I be planning to move at turtle speed? I figured they'd essentially live in the kitchen when I'm home, and I'll crate them when I'm not, until the worst of the moving insanity is over and things are beginning to get back to a routine. Until then I already know I won't have the time I need to devote to their training so best to minimize their access until I know I can do it right. But after that, I'm just not sure at what speed to progress. I'd rather NOT learn that I was going to fast because someone peed on the carpet :(

To help Tango learn to love the new roommate I would have him feed and help walk Tango for a few days, and maybe find a special treat that only he gives Tango to help Tango associate really good thoughts with this new large guy.
I'd already told Lee (my roommate) that he's going to need to devote some time to getting the dogs used to him, and learning their routines and such. It helps enormously that he's excited to be living with ridiculous little rat dogs :D And yeah, good idea that Lee be the one that feed them both, but especially Tango, the special treat.....and I know EXACTLY what it will be. They both go ka-raazy for chicken wrapped sweet potato!

I did want to say congratulations on the move!!! How exciting! I know you will love having a whole house to share with just one other person. Enjoy!
Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.