Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving to a new house with a swimming pool. I have my 3 chihuauha babies that will go with me. Help, will the chi's go near the pool and will they be able to adapt to a new home? Any help will be gratly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
They will adapt to the new home. If they like water they might like the pool... Is the pool fenced? if not you might want to invest in a small removable fence around it...

good luck and god bless

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
PLEASE be espeially careful with your furbabies around the pool, at least until they grow accustomed to it. I almost lost my chi, Tia, last year in my daughter's pool. Last October, I stayed at my daughter's house with the grandchildren while my daughter and son in law went on a cruise. Tia had been around the pool prior quite frequently.Early one a.m. I let her and my daughters dogs out to do their business. About 5 minutes later, I called them to come back in and Tia was missing. I stepped outside the door and she was floating in the deep end of the pool. We managed to get her out in time, but it was a close call. I am not trying to scare you, and I know the common belief is that dogs naturally know how to swim. I don't know what happened in her case. She was not in good health, and had a severe heart murmur so perhaps that had something to do with it. Just please exercise caution with your furbabies around the pool.

·
Registered
642 Posts
As long as you put safety first when it comes to the pool I am sure there will be no problem with adapting to a new house. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I think you should invest in a few of these =)

But in all seriousness, think about a very sturdy pool cover, if they do happen to fall in, a chihuahua wouldn't make a pool cover buckle, they might even be able to stand on it. Drowning is a very serious problem for small dogs since they cannot get out of the pool without assistance, and most can only swim for a short period of time. I know you will do what is best for your dogs, even if that means not allowing them to be around the pool without your supervision.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
a swimming pool :roll: man that's my dream !!! :D

good luck with the moving ...and i wouldn't let dogs play unsupervised near a pool .......or it must be fenced ....

kisses nat

·
Registered
530 Posts
I understand your concern...My mom has a pool at her house and I'm worried about what could happen this summer after she opens it. In the winter there is a cover on it, it's called a trampoline cover, it's tight accross the top of the pool. Charlie likes to run accross it and I'm afraid he'll try to run across the pool with no cover and sink :shock: He's never been in water like that. My mom is keeping Charlie at her house for me until I move in about a month...its going to be a long month without him...she's used to just letting all the dogs go out in the backyard unsupervised (it has a very secure chain link fence) and I'm very worried about what could happen. She knows that she'll have to be careful and watch the puppies around the pool until they get used to it...but I'm still nervous. Our German Shorthair loves the water...but I'm worried about the Chihuahuas and Shih Tzus. I think maybe I will invest in one of those life vests...he may look silly but at least he won't sink :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dogs and pools

A dog must know where the steps are to be able to exist the pool. Only a very large dog could hoist himself over the side. If you introduce your dog to the pool by using the steps, he/she will know how to get out. Carry the dog several steps into the pool, then turn around and let the dog swim back to the steps.

This worked with my daughter's cocker (long gone to Rainbow Bridge due to cancer). I had read that the real danger to dogs around a pool was they didn't know how to get out of the water. The article recommended this training method. Rusty LOVED the water. If we were on a float and got close to the side, he would step onto the float with us. When we swam, he would swim circles around us, happiness all over his face. When he was outside by himself, he would lay in the water on the top step (water coming up onto his chest), then he would swim about 5 feet out and back to the step again.

Remember: it pays to be careful. Watch the dog around the pool, even when the pup can swim and knows how to exit the water. I definitely would not put the dog into the backyard by himself. Perhaps a smaller, fenced in area would make a good pen.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
PLEASE be espeially careful with your furbabies around the pool, at least until they grow accustomed to it. I almost lost my chi, Tia, last year in my daughter's pool. Last October, I stayed at my daughter's house with the grandchildren while my daughter and son in law went on a cruise. Tia had been around the pool prior quite frequently.Early one a.m. I let her and my daughters dogs out to do their business. About 5 minutes later, I called them to come back in and Tia was missing. I stepped outside the door and she was floating in the deep end of the pool. We managed to get her out in time, but it was a close call. I am not trying to scare you, and I know the common belief is that dogs naturally know how to swim. I don't know what happened in her case. She was not in good health, and had a severe heart murmur so perhaps that had something to do with it. Just please exercise caution with your furbabies around the pool.
Oh, chimom, my heart just about stopped when I began to read this. I don't think I could handle hearing about another chi tragedy this week. :cry: Glad it turned out okay in your case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts