Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I brought Rudy home, he was 10 weeks old and just a dear. All the other puppies were kind of shy, but not Rudy ... he came up to me after some gentle coaxing and then just about licked me to death. :)

Now he does that with everyone he meets, old and new friend alike...except for me.

He's a great dog and I love him so very much ... he loves to lay on my lap in the early morning or late at night. He usually sleeps with me in my bed (I say usually because sometimes he decides to leave me in the night and sleep on the couch). We go on walks together and he is responsive and eager to please. He brings me his toys to play and he loves learning new tricks.

And yet I come home after a long day at work and I got no reaction. Zip. Zero. Nothing. Not a wag of the tail, not a wiggle, not a lick. He's like a freaking cat.

And yet ... and here is the thing that gets me the most ... my brother walks in, a friend, the pizza delivery man ... and he is all wiggles and happy.

Does he hate me? This isn't new ... besides the first time we met, his reaction has ALWAYS been cool upon me entering, minus when he got neutered and I went to pick him up and he was happy to see me.

See, and now as I write this, having just got home from a long, not so good day at work and feeling kind of sad by his reaction ... he's sitting here staring at me and pawing me.

But seriously ... why the disinterested reception? :(

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My dog does the same. He is exuberant and crazy for everyone except me, and I am the one that feeds him and walks him. He sleeps with me and wants to sit in my lap all of the time. I just think he takes me for granted!

·
Registered
809 Posts
All dogs are different, just like all people are different. You're dog may just be a little more chilled toward you than other dogs that you see.

You are a normal part of his day. You aren't as "cool" as a friend or a stranger. My dogs are all pleased to see me home, I get wags but not nearly the reception that my friends get when they come over. The dogs are all over them with kisses and enthusiasm!

It doesn't mean that my dogs hate me and your dog doesn't hate you. I am the center of my dogs' world, I give yummy food, play fetch, take them on car rides, etc and I have no doubt that they love me more than my friends... I'm just always there.

Everyone (dogs included) tend to take the normal for granted. A child takes for granted that their parents will always be there but if they lost their parents they would realize how much they miss them and perhaps wish they had given more hugs and kisses. Dogs aren't humans and they don't think like that but they do know when their owners leave and come back (like when boarded for a while) and most are wildly excited to see them again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts