Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..it looks like I am going to have to hve an MRI scan sometime in the near future and I am absolutely petrified. I was wondering if anyone here has had one and could tell me what its really like?

The thing is, I am really claustrophobic and the thought of being in the tube really freaks me out! I did a CT scan recently and even though that is open and smaller, it still made me sweat and tremble.
My doctor has said they can sedate me, but I am thinking that might be even worse...totally panicked and unable to move! :shock:
I know this must sound stupid but I just dont know if I can do it... :oops:

·
Registered
675 Posts
awww camilla... my dad had one and he says its nothing... he was in and out in 10 mins. but hes not claustrophobic. im not sure what the hospitals are like over there but the one near me tells you to take a CD to listen to... if thats the same where you are maybe that'll help?
dont worry if you feel you cant go through with it... im sure the doctors are used to that!
be sure to ask them as many questions as you can as that might put your mind at ease...
we're all here for you if you need to unload your worries!
hope ive helped! :D

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I dont think the sedation would be a bad thing, it will relax you - if your that bothered by it I would go that route. I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I agree with Victoria, the sedation doesn't seem a bad idea expecially if you are claustrophobic.
I hope everything will work out fine.
Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had to have one...they didn't ask me if I was clostrophobic or give me any advice berfore I went in so I was a little suprised when I realized how it was going to be. Mine was pretty quick, I kept my eyes closed and tried to go to sleep and take slow breaths. The moving of the machine was the only thing that bothered me...it's hard to sleep with a machine making noise. I'm sure they have people that have trouble with it all the time, I can't say it was the most fun I've ever had...but it ruled out some scary things so it was a plus. Good luck, do your best to relax, keeping the eyes closed the whole time really helped for me...if they let you have music that would probably help too.

Good Luck! I hope everything turns out well.
Jessi

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice guys...I am still in two minds as to what to do..I will let you know! :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
As you may remember I had a Ct scan not too long ago. I am extremely claustrophobic. I was a scared. If I had to do an MRI I think I would choose sedation.
My youngest son had to have 1 at 10mths old and they sedated him.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey, I am so claustrophobic I cannot even read about people being in tight spaces. I know how bad it can be, but I can tell you this -- my MRI was not as bad as I expected. The hospital that did mine had hung a picture upside down on the wall opposite the tube and then had a mirror in the tube that was angled to show the picture. It was a little bit of a comfort. With me, it was probably worse than for most because I was getting the MRI of my brain -- so my head was very well tied down and not able to move at all. I basically closed my eyes and practiced my lamaze breathing (if you have never had kids, just close your eyes and concentrate only on your breathing -- very deep, even breaths, it helps!!) Good luck! Oh and as a side note, I know a girl who was offered a valium before an MRI, so different dr's do it differently, you may ask for sedation -- the worst they can do is say no, right?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that. My MRI is also for the brain and cervical spine so my head will be held down too...it really freaks me out! I have been told I can have sedation, I just dont know if I will go thru with it or not yet :oops:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definitely go through with it -- nothing is worth the loss of brain/nerve tissue if it could be diagnosed with a simple (albeit uncomfortable) test. Oh, and a little humour to lighten the mood -- (true story, too) When they finished my MRI, I said "so, did you find anything in there?' the tech looks at me and says "ma'am, we are not allowed to discuss the test with you, only your doctor can do that" and I asked again, "look, I'm just curious if you found anything in there" Of course, I have a sick and twisted sense of humour, so the tech didn't get what I was saying, and he said "ma'am, I can't really say if there is anything there or not" so, at that point, I looked at my hubby and said "what did I tell you? They didn't even find a brain!" Hubby and I were rolling on the floor while the tech was trying to figure out what was so funny....lol :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts