Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muffin Sasha's sister is sick...I think its coccidia she has all the signs of it. My mother is on the way to the vet now...I'll keep everyone updated looks like another trip to the vet for sasha. Even though she is showing no signs its best to be tested and know then not knowing at all.

Anyone ever had a pup with coccidia I have went though it before with a little rescue I adopted I named chiquita she had coccidia and it was to late to save her. Good thing Muffin was at my moms house and my mom could tell she was sick and not at the shelter where she didn't get alot of attention cause there is so many dogs because she prob would die from this.

Coccidia is a serious infection in dogs its usally brought on by stress also being in feces from the momma dog who could be a carrier of it.

Like I said I'll keep everyone updated...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there, coccidia presents itself much like most of the other intestinal parasites (roundworms, giardiasis, etc..) with diarrhea/vommitting of varying degrees. It's is a good idea to test for other parasites before making a diagnosis based on the presented symptoms. It's quite possible she picked it up from it's litter mates or at the breeder's house since transmission is fecal-oral, and can live quite long and comfortably in the environment. Many dogs can live with it, and often carry it as a "secondary" parasite with roundworms being the common primary. Luckily it's easily treatable with good ol' Albon and with good hygeine, environmental cleaning, and regular treatment/fecal tests it clears up very quickly! I've seen very few dogs actually die from it, but it is a serious parasite that when untreated, can cause complications in dogs with compromised immune systems.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much for the information Ilovesadie I know very little on the subject just a little I didn't go though the long hold with Chiquita because she was only with me 1 week and she was on her last leg. :cry:

My mother didn't call me so I am hoping everything went fine so I will find out tomorrow. Sasha was checked and wormed for everything and muffin was a few days later then sasha's treatment so I am hoping muffin is fine I'd hate to see somthing happen to my moms frist rescue it might scare her from ever doing it again.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I must add that even if a stool sample comes up clean get a re-test in 3-4 weeks as it runs in cycles.....and supplement with a good probiotic to re-establish the good flora to help the irritated lining.

Yes please keep us posted. :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi and her litternates had coccidea, hers took 2 treatments to get rid of. she had it when i brought her home, the breeder said she could keep her there and treat her and i can take her home when she's clear but i said nah i'll take her no problem so i got her medicine to take hom too. and the one vet gave me the second dose of albon for free :D when i checked her stool and seen there was coccidea present still.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sending hugs for Muffin {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Keep strong for her , I've never treated a dog for this
BUT I have treated and curred tiny reptiles with the same
problem so hang on in there .. also I will add , I know you
are being careful with her :) just a little reminded to say
it really helps if everything in contact with her is really
cleaned before and after .. ( I'm sure you already do that
but just thought I'd add it )

Sara xx

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the information

Muffin does have coccidia Sasha dosen't the vet said it was good it was caught early muffin is being treated but i will be sure to take sasha back to check and make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
one thing my vet told me to do was to pick up the feces as soon as chiwi went, just in case she ate the poop. and same goes for the yard...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts