Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who own more than one dog I was wondering if you have them house trained to go outside and use the bathroom how does the scheduling work out? Do you let them all go out at one time or one by one? How do you keep track of who has went and who hasn't if you let them out all at once before taking them back inside again? Also, if you were thinking of owning three dogs at once is that ok? Two wouldn't be friends and outcast the third? I'm wondering because I am in the process of house training Jackson to go outside now and was thinking of adding some more buddies for him in the future and wasn't sure how all of that works out? I would love to hear opinions of those who are experienced in owning more than one inside dog at a time.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a lots of dogs. I have a dog door they use all day. I let them out into the big back yard first thing in the morning and let them run around and do their business, and the last thing before bed. It's a uphill battle for me because I have 6 males and most of them came to me older and not house broken. They like to mark. I did find that the ones that go outside teach the new guys to go outside, too.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I only have two, but I understand why you're asking.

We live in a townhouse apartment complex, so we don't have a fenced yard and I take my two outside on a leash, at the same time! (If my hubby is home he will take one, but most of the time they go together.) I've been tied up by them a few times, but I use the retractable leashes, and hold them both in one hand, flipping them in my hand everytime we come close to getting tangled.

Mine have both developed their own 'schedules', so I pretty well know when to anticipate a longer walk - first thing in the a.m. and mid afternoon, like clockwork! Otherwise, it's just a quick trip out, with no 'real estate shopping' for a good spot!

For walks, I can take them alone, or my husband will go with me.

They are the best of friends, even though there is a huge age difference (3 yrs and 6 months) and an even bigger personality difference. I can't imagine having one without the other.

I keep my kids' dogs at times (poodles, Cairn terrier, Golden doodle) and I just throw them on a leash and go for it, but it can be quite chaotic.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
For those of you who own more than one dog I was wondering if you have them house trained to go outside and use the bathroom how does the scheduling work out? Do you let them all go out at one time or one by one? How do you keep track of who has went and who hasn't if you let them out all at once before taking them back inside again? Also, if you were thinking of owning three dogs at once is that ok? Two wouldn't be friends and outcast the third? I'm wondering because I am in the process of house training Jackson to go outside now and was thinking of adding some more buddies for him in the future and wasn't sure how all of that works out? I would love to hear opinions of those who are experienced in owning more than one inside dog at a time.
My two girls are potty trained very well to go outside. They will tell me when they have to go. Mostly by running to the door and getting all excited but when we're not near the door my Kizzie will sit down and just STARE at me and give me a little growl (Friendly) like HEY MOM I GOTTA GO!!! lol As far as when they are outside to go potty I don't ever really worry about WHO went and who didn't because I know they both did...I don't really keep track but when I'm out there Kizzie is on a leash still (Shayley runs free) and I can always know when Kizzie goes. Shayley is my older girl and I never worry about her she knows when to do her duty! lol As for a 3rd dog.....I only have 2 but we were looking into getting another...I really don't think there will be an issue with ours because my girls are open but every dog is different I'm sure the little one would fit right in.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We have 3 all go out at the same time every couple of hours but we are adding a 4th once wefind the perfect one we want and bc she will be a puppy will need to go out more often than the other 3 as her bladder will be smaller

·
Registered
923 Posts
We have access to a backyard, but sadly, our upstairs neighbours have a VERY dog aggressive pitty (such a sweet girl - bad owners) who they let run about without a leash often, or their small children open the door and let her out... so we barely use the backyard. :(

My guys (3 of them) use pee pads mostly, when the weather is nice we go on a lot of walks (around the neighbourhood and in the woods mostly) but when it's rainy/cold/snowy they refuse to be outside. I don't blame them! So often, all winter, they get rambunctious because it's too cold ouside then once spring hits.. BAM! Crazy running around outside time! LOL

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We have four, two are perfectly housebroken, two are puppies and still not reliable. I let them all out every 2-3 hours. The two little ones, Leo (4 mths) and Miley (9 mths) I make go outside that often, the older two I invite but dont make them as I trust them to wait til the next time if they choose not to go. Like Rachel mentioned, I keep on eye on what theyre getting done outside if its especially cold or raining, so I know if I need to keep an eye on someone who still hasnt pooped etc. In nice weather I just let them out frequently but dont go with them as we have a secure yard with 6 ft privacy fencing so I know they are safely confined to our yard.
We have 3 chis and a yellow lab. Miley and Leo are good buddies and play together often, I think largely because they are both puppies so have similar energy levels and love to play. They also like to play with our lab a lot as he is always up for a romp around the yard or a game of tug of war. Reese, my first chi, prefers to hang out with us, although he will play with any of the other dogs when he feels frisky. He chooses to exclude himself mostly, but they are happy to play with him too when hes up to it. Honestly I think Reese would be just as happy to have an occasional play date and to meet new dogs at the park or wherever but be an only dog at home. He likes the others but prefers us, hes a mommas boy. Miley loves to cuddle and lick us, but really loves to play with Leo and our lab Ben, so I think she would be missing out if we didnt have other dogs. It really depends on your dogs personality, not every dog needs a second or third dog to be happy and content. Get another dog for yourself, and if Jackson really enjoys them too its just a bonus.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for sharing how having multiple dogs works for you. I am hoping to get another dog in the future and am just hoping they will both get along when I do. For some reason I have a horrible fear of getting a new one and Jackson and that one fighting or not liking one another.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have 2 a year old and 6 month old the older one was 200% house broken when I got the younger one she has really helped lotus she was easy to train I still physically take her out when I think she should go and obviously watch her but she barks her head off to go outside love her!!!

I wouldn't worry about fighting if your boy is neutered e shouldn't want to fight there are squabbles and growls but they sort it out we've had two snaps and that's over food

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
probably will not fight he will most likely enjoy the company although my 1 female doesn't like snuggling or cuddling with my male she enjoys playing with him and running around with him and they enjoy each others company when going outside especially at night my male is scared to go out in the dark lol! if baby goes out with him he has no problem!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have a Chi but I do have a Jackson! Good name! ;)

He is my only dog but I stay at my dads often making 3 dogs total.. they luckily have a fenced in yard and we just let them out. I don't really keep track per say, but I will peek out the window while they are going, or walk out with them, to make sure my own dog potties before bed. But during the day, I just assume he's going outside since there are no accidents indoors.

It's more difficult when you don't have a fence. I dogsat for a woman with 4 dogs in a townhouse with no fence and boy was that a task.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I had two dogs growing up that I loved dearly one passed away last year and the other is at my parent's house in a huge fence. He just turned 17 back in August and I take Jackson there to visit every other weekend and the two of them play together and sleep right beside each other so I am hoping it will work out. The other dog Milo is a jack russell and he was always very dog aggressive except with our golden retriever Lucky who was the one who passed away last year. After that Milo would howl and howl and you could tell he was depressed and it was around that time that I got Jackson and tried the two of them together (under supervision of course) and Milo loves him just as much as he did Lucky. I am afraid to try to bring a 3rd dog into the picture though with Milo because he may see the 3rd dog as trying to take "his" (Jackson) buddy's attention away or get jealous if Jackson and the new dog were to be playing.

JacksonsMommy- Thanks! It's cool we both have the same name for our doggies! I love the yorkie beed as well yours is so cute! :)

Jackson is more my dog than my husbands he spends his time more with me or close by me. My husband wants to get a miniature dachshund because that is the breed he had when he was growing up and his grandpa currently has one now and he loves the breed. I want a yorkie so I am hoping in the future if I let him get the dachshund then he will let me get the yorkie lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts