Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I adopted Chip, he's had a lot of white ticking/graying on his muzzle that has constantly made strangers, trainers, and vets think he's actually sort of old. Because he is a rescue, no one really know how old he is...but he acts like a total puppy (enough that my boyfriend thinks he's still under two years old...). I've seen young dogs have some gray on their muzzles, or a few white hairs here and there, but Chip's is noticeable from a distance.

They actually seem to be growing whiter- the gray was less noticeable when we first got him. Is this normal for his color, or could he actually be old...?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I see a lot of them get it at 2-3 years old. It DOES make them look older, for sure! But its hard to ever tell "for sure" how old a dog is when it's rescued unless it came w/ a birthdate from previous owner.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yep. Bruiser (the black dog in my siggy) is 7 now, but has had a lot of gray on his muzzle for years. People all think he's an old dog and he acts like it too.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When I got Shayley as a bitty puppy weeks old...she was all black with a bit of white tips on her two back feet and just a bit of white under her chin. Well that white under her chin came in quickly over the first year and then by time she was three she had a full beard lol Been that way every since! Now she's getting a bit more white everywhere because she's older! She's 8 1/2.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This all really eases my mind...I was afraid Chip was actually getting old :( I've had people tell me he has "old eyes", too, which wasn't helping anything :p

I REALLY wish I could find the person who dumped him...#1 to tell them how foolish they are for letting such a great dog go, and #2 to ask them his birthday, LOL!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely normal for darker dogs to start greying out early. I'm fortunate in Maxie has a white muzzle as it is--otherwise he'd probably look even older. LOL Here are his pics....

About 6mo old: (you can actually see he had a bit of tan on his muzzle that he no longer has)

Now--he turned 3 in March.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Thought I'd post a shot of Shayley too!

This is her as a bitty baby, you can see she only has the white on her chinny chin chin! lol

Quick enough, there it is spreading.

even more I think she had to be about 3 here.

I truly love her white beard though, it is really hard to remember her without it lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL OMG all of your chis are so stinking adorable!

I'm hoping it stops spreading...even though I think he'll still look cute, I don't won't him to have a little beard :p

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
:) Yeah I actually never thought of Shayley having a beard because I didn't really know it would spread that fast but like I said I honestly can't picture her without it now and I love it lol. Maybe your little cuties won't grow or show up as much as Shay's because she's black.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A long time ago we had a toy sized dog that was fully black and he had a full grey beard at 3! Like seriously he looked like a little granny and it was soooo cute! He was abnormally muscular too lol Like a granny on steroids

1 - 11 of 11 Posts