Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new toy poodle, Westen. He still has a puppy coat so it's not that dense yet. He's with Venus and Sparrow. It's terribly difficult to take pictures of 3 dogs. It also doesn't help that Westen is black and Sparrow's topknot is a mess. I tried to give them treats as I took pictures. I'm not sure it helped.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Your pack is gorgeous. I think you did pretty well taking pictures of all three of them together! I have a hard enough time getting Gemma to stay still alone for a picture, lol.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
The treats definitely helped, the pictures are great! :)
You have a beautiful bunch, I adore all three. :love2:

·
Registered
725 Posts
They are all beautiful I had a black miniature poodle years ago he was my pride and joy for many years. The day I got Charlie I was supposed to pick up a 1 1/2 year white toy poodle she was a rescue that had complications having puppy's she had 1 and then couldn't deliver the rest she was rescued and taken to the vet for a ceserian the other pups inside her where dead so she had one puppy that lived and of course she was spaded she only weighed 31/2 lbs and the puppy was going to its new home the same day I was to pick her up in fact I was on my way to do so when I got a call saying that the person who took the puppy decided to take the mom as well. I was so so upset and cryed all the way home. When I got home my neighbour who breeds dogs told me about Charlie's mom and dad and that the puppy's where ready to go and only the one female has been spoken for and all the boys are still available for adoption. So I went to meet the breeder and Charlie and Charlie's mom and dad. Within 2 hours I was the owner of a baby Chihuahua and he makes me so very very happy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What a beautiful family you have. I am just wondering how you picked all three different breeds. I have been thinking for a long time to get Timmy a friend. I have looked at many small breeds but I don't know how Timmy would get along with a non- chihuahua. He really doesn't like any other breed than chihuahua. Actually doesn't like is an understatement, he hates all other breeds.

So how do they get along?

Regina

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They are all beautiful I had a black miniature poodle years ago he was my pride and joy for many years. The day I got Charlie I was supposed to pick up a 1 1/2 year white toy poodle she was a rescue that had complications having puppy's she had 1 and then couldn't deliver the rest she was rescued and taken to the vet for a ceserian the other pups inside her where dead so she had one puppy that lived and of course she was spaded she only weighed 31/2 lbs and the puppy was going to its new home the same day I was to pick her up in fact I was on my way to do so when I got a call saying that the person who took the puppy decided to take the mom as well. I was so so upset and cryed all the way home. When I got home my neighbour who breeds dogs told me about Charlie's mom and dad and that the puppy's where ready to go and only the one female has been spoken for and all the boys are still available for adoption. So I went to meet the breeder and Charlie and Charlie's mom and dad. Within 2 hours I was the owner of a baby Chihuahua and he makes me so very very happy.
Poodles are great dogs. I love that they don't shed and you can do all kinds of fun things with their hair. They're also so very smart and athletic. I had a mini poodle when I was a young teenager. I had to leave her behind in another state because I moved from my dad's house to my mom's house. It was so hard for me to do, but my mom wouldn't allow a dog in her house. I looked for another poodle ever since I lost, Dixie.

I'm so glad that everything worked out for you and Charlie. It's really too bad that the toy poodle mom was taken by the other people, but I hope she has a great home with her puppy. I can't imagine having a dog that weighs less than 5 lbs having puppies. I don't know what the standards are for chi's, but I know that Yorkie Club of America thinks that dams should be at least 5 lbs to breed.

What a beautiful family you have. I am just wondering how you picked all three different breeds. I have been thinking for a long time to get Timmy a friend. I have looked at many small breeds but I don't know how Timmy would get along with a non- chihuahua. He really doesn't like any other breed than chihuahua. Actually doesn't like is an understatement, he hates all other breeds.

So how do they get along?

Regina
Venus is best friends with Sparrow. She's great friends with Meadow ( miniature poodle, not pictured). She is just getting to know Westen, but so far there is no issue.

When we got Venus we had a Cairn Terrier (Toto from Wizard of Oz) and a Lab/Chow mix. Venus was a rescue from the local shelter. She was found as stray wandering the streets. Venus was very very dog aggressive. She would go crazy when we paid attention to the other dogs. She would also bark her head off at any dog within her sight. We couldn't take her to the pet store or down the street.

I wasn't going to let her get away with it just like I wouldn't have let my larger dogs get away with it. I would sternly say "NO" and turn away from her when she would bark and lunge at me while I was petting our other dogs. She would get a treat or petting once she stopped her bad behavior. I would say "NO" and try to divert her attention with a sit (then treat) if we were out and she barked at other dogs. After a week or so she was great with our dogs. She became best friends with our Cairn Terrier, and she sometimes played with our Lab/Chow (she was usually sleeping). After a month or so she stopped barking at other dogs within her eyesight. She's great with other dogs now.

My daughter picked Venus because of Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Our family fell in love with tiny dogs because of Venus. She adores all people, and she is so easy to take care of. The only thing is that she sheds a little bit and I didn't want anymore shedding in my house once my Husky and my Lab/Chow passed away. I decided that we would only get non-shedding tiny dogs once our larger dogs passed away. I went on the lookout for non-shedding toy dogs available through rescue. I've only gotten pets from rescue. I got Sparrow in November when she was about 1.5 years old. I got my mini poodle, Meadow(not pictured), at the end of January when she was about 1.5 years old. I made an exception to my toy dog only rule for Meadow. I got Westen from a breeder on the 7th just after he turned 1 year old, but he was sort of a rescue.

Westen was going to be shown because he's a really great show quality, but his breeder had a stroke. His relatives win the big dog shows often. I was contacted by a groomer I know through a poodle forum because she knows the breeder. The groomer knew I lived somewhat close to the breeder. All of her dogs needed a new home asap, and if nobody could take them they were going into a rescue. The breeder didn't want them to go into rescue because the rescue told her that for privacy reasons they couldn't tell the adopting families who she was and vice versa. This breeder literally knows all of the dogs she has sold from birth to death. She has books writing down every bit of information she could gather from the owners. She bred only for show and didn't have more than about 2 litters a year. She gave Westen to me for almost nothing with a limited AKC. It's a shame because he really is a fantastic candidate for breeding, but she knows I'm not a show home, and I never want to breed dogs no matter the quality. I promised her that I would keep her updated with how he is doing through the years and that I might enter him in obedience and agility contests so he might still be a winner.

I just wish that the breeder didn't have his coat trimmed up into a pet trim before I got him. It's going to take forever to grow his topknot out again. Oh well, he still has his puppy coat and I probably would have had to trim him once his coat started changing due to matting. I'll know that his coat is changing once he starts to mat overnight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts