Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is going to the vet after I get my daughter off the bus. He was fine all day yesterday, but now he is shaking and lethargic again. I don't understand it. He has no interest in doing anything... eating, playing, coming out of his crate... I hate it :( It's not him :(

He did eat, but didn't have a BM. This morning when he woke up I took him out and he didn't even wanna potty. I thought he'd have to pee after holding it all night, so I'm at a loss here.

Hopefully it's something easy and simple to fix.. I know he's not cold and he's not scared of anything. From what I read it could be stress, but stress from what? Nothing has changed.... Not sure what's going on!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I feel TERRIBLE! :( I just feel like no matter what I do for him., it's not helping!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That really sounds like pain. The not wanting to potty especially, because it hurts. Our old frenchie would get just like that when her disc disease would flare up. Hopefully you get some good news at the vet!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so his verdict is low blood sugar but not to a critical point. He gave me nutrical to put in his mouth when he starts shaking. He said if he doesn't stop in 45 mins after the nutrical, or if he gets to where he's not responding or having ceizures get him to a vet (duh!).... So we will see how it goes with this stuff. I gave him some on the way home to see if he liked it and nope, he sure does not. lol

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Sounds like low blood sugar to me. Give it some
corn syrup about a teaspoon, or if you have it some nutrical. Keep us posted:)

Lori

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hmmm did the vet say why he had low blood sugar? It's rare usually in pups over 2# unless there is some sort of physical problem or they aren't eating. I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Zoey isn't fond of nutrical either, so I use Honey or Karo Syrup when she starts having issues.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oppps... Should have kept reading. Soo glad it was a simple fix. For me when ever the girls just seem not themselves, I always give them a dose of corn syrup just in case, and so far have been lucky.

Lori

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm did the vet say why he had low blood sugar? It's rare usually in pups over 2# unless there is some sort of physical problem or they aren't eating. I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Zoey isn't fond of nutrical either, so I use Honey or Karo Syrup when she starts having issues.
He asked about his eating habits... And Chi Chi is a finicky eater so it didn't really surprise me. Chi Chi will eat a bite here and bite there... And he doesn't eat much in my opinion. I know they aren't supposed to eat very much, but he hardly eats anything. I have been worried about his figure. He looks too skinny. The vet said he's probably on the skinnier side of normal, but nothing to worry about. I dunno, he's just a finicky eater..... Picky too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and thanks for mentioning honey & Karo syrup. May have to try that since he is not fond of it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
One thing to remember on hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is that you HAVE to do a protein with the sugar. Otherwise the sugar goes up - symptoms disappear, and then they crash. Worse than before. You have to get protein into them to stabilize the sugar.

I'd go with a good quality canned food such as evo 95% meat or baby food in the jar. Gerbers has cornstarch, so get beech nut, the chicken flavor goes over well. Give a bit of the sugar (karo, honey, pancake syrup, or the nutrical) and then make sure he eats a few spoonfuls of the meat. That will keep his sugars on an even keel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have heard of the baby food thing! I think I will try that! It's hard to find a good quality dog food around here without paying an arm and a leg or having it shipped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts