Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rachael - cover your eyes.

Today is trash day and Cooper loves to "help" gather trash around the house and wheel the bin out to the curb.

We finished our collection and I opened the garage door so we could wheel the bin out to the street. It was 4am, so I just let him run out into the front yard while I got the bin. I looked over at him in the yard and he was going potty, so I turned and took the trash to the street.

I turned around to walk back and saw a little gecko on the ground, so I was watching it for a few seconds and I realized that Cooper hadn't come over to see what I was doing and "help" with the trash. I looked up, only to see him completely still in the middle of the yard, looking across the street.

I turned back around to see what he was looking at and there were two HUGE male cats having a stand-off in the dead center of the street. Apparently, Cooper and I had interrupted their meeting when we came out.

I was a good 20 feet or so from Cooper and his favorite activity is chasing neighborhood cats (when he can) so I said a silent prayer that the cats would just stand there and not take off running. Of course, they did run so Cooper took off after them and I took off after Cooper. Oh... did I mention I was wearing a tank top that's too small and a pair of shorts with a hole in the crotch? Okay... so now you know it's also laundry day.

Thank goodness he's got the bad knee because he didn't get very far before he had to stop and limp a few steps so I was able to catch up with him. He turned around, oblivious to the fact I was right behind him, and started to walk back home ... right past me as if I wasn't there.

So, I leaned down and gave him a good whack on the hindquarters. I was tempted to grab him by the earlobe and drag him back to the house but he took off running for the garage when he realized that I wasn't very pleased with his display of utter rebellion and disobedience.

That's when the Austin Police Department officer drove by, saw Cooper outside without a leash and pulled over to give me a citation (my third for this particular offense). $200 fee for my dog helping me take out the trash. I love that the APD is finally enforcing the leash law. That's a whole 'nother gripe of mine... anyway....

To add insult to injury, when we came through the garage door, I was lecturing Cooper on the perils of chasing kitties when OmaKitty ambushed him from behind the washroom door and slapped him upside the head, sending him rolling into the kitchen.

I think Cooper's already figured out this isn't going to be his day. :lol:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
ow now thats a story. Cooper's not a trash scooper is he? NO SCOOPER COOPER AS HIS DAY WAS A POOPER! :lol: WOOPS :oops: SORRY he did have a tough time and sounds like you did. WOW american police pulled you over... thats amazing! :oops: I only see them on programms like New York and America's Dumbest Crminals... are the american police really like how they make them out to be? If so, they're so much different to our police lol Coopers day is not going to plan... I hope he learnt his lesson! lol :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
hehe ....cooper really is a man of adventure isn't he :D , i would scream the whole neigbourhood out of their sofas if one of my musketeers would take off :? (we live near a very big and busy road), glad everything turned out well,except for the fine ofcourse :wink:

kisses nat

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol I love the picture in my head of you getting ticked of by the cops in crotchless shorts and a teeny weeny tank top :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that was ... pleasant.

The cops over here aren't so bad in most cases but Austin has just started a no-tolerance rule when it comes to dogs being on leash. We have a city ordinance, like most everywhere else, saying dogs have to be on leash unless they're in areas where it's posted as an off-leash area.

I just happen to live about 3 feet away from a police sub-station and the cops have to drive by my house to get there. I personally don't understand why he had to give me a ticket, especially since we were on private property and heading back indoors ... but he was the same cop that gave me the other two citations for walking Cooper at 3am in the neighborhood without a leash.

The law makes sense to me - you don't want dogs running around, biting people and just being on the loose period but when it's 3 o'clock in the morning, it's a CHIHUAHUA and the owner is there with the dog, I don't really see a problem, especially if the dog is heeling to the person and not causing a problem.

Cooper's such a threat to society at 3am or any time of the day. He must be stopped. His photo will be on America's Most Wanted next week.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Whoa! I think that's a liitle rediculous on the citation. I mean it's not like he was running the neighborhood loose without you there. Will you have to pay the citation or will you be able to get it dropped? Gawd i'm glad i live in the country and outside city limits! I can pretty much do what i want on my 10 acres!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
eww you got a ticket for that?? geez... we have dogsloose all the time in my neighboorhood.. they know how to get out.. lol but still cooper was just havign some fun... can't blame the little guy

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
if you were on private property at the time you can very easily contest the ticket. leashlaws only cover PUBLIC places, on your own private property even if it is the very end of your driveway, so long as its your private property they cannot legally ticket you...

what they gonna do ticket you for letting him run around in HIS yard unleashed?!

i personally would contest that last ticket if you were on your property.

i understand he was doing his job if you were on the street/sidwalk in your neighbor hood as that is public property, it is the law and well law is law no mater how strange it can seem sometimes (cause it is for everyone including the dogs safety) but on your private property they cant ticket you.

hope this helps, and hope the bad start to the day got better...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I know the ticket is not funny, but the rest of the story is hilarous! :lol: And of course, Omakitty had to get her "licks" in too.

I know the laws are different everywhere, but you might want to check it out to see if they can issue you a citation if you are on your own property. That really doesn't sound fair. I agree, they do need to enforce the leash laws and I'm all for that, but not on your property. I live in the county, and we have no real leash laws here. Well, we do, but no one enforces them and it gets very annoying at times. Especially since my yard seems to attract some of the larger dogs to do their business. :(

Well, at least you haven't had a boring day! :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
That ticket is B.S. (pardon my french LOL) Your dog is a HUGE threat to society you better lock him up... geese!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Cooper...man of mystery plus man of many expenses ! That ticket is almost laughable ( if you didn't have to pay $200 US ) ...a chi..in his own yard...with his owner ( albeit dressed a little on down and out ) ...what next...ticket for sitting in an open window without a lease on ! I would contest it if I were you...i have no problem with leash laws...but that is ridiculous ! I had a pit bull and a german shepard in my yard last week...the pit bull barked and growled at me...and I could not get the dog catcher to come and there was no way a police man would come without me being bite or something !

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Oh geez $200 that's so lame can't they find anything better to do with their time.You'd think they could find some college kids to harass. I think Cooper got his payback from Omakitty :shock: Hope you have a better day :) and you know things like that always happen when you're in you best attire :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't contest the first fine I got with Cooper because it was only $25. Here, they allow you to go to a "responsible pet ownership" program for the first offense and drop the fine (of course, you have to pay a fee for the class).

The cops can choose the amount of the fine from $1 to $500, depending on the severity of the infraction. This cop is angry with me because he "always" sees me outside with Cooper (that's what he said this morning) and he's never on a leash. I argued with him about this, even though I wasn't going to win because of the leash law, but my point was it is always between 3-4am that he sees me and Cooper is ALWAYS under my voice control. (Luckily, he missed the whole scene with the cats and Cooper chasing them.)

The 2nd citation I got was for $150 and this one was for $200 because the officer is trying to "teach me a lesson." I argued with him on those points as well, stating that he was picking ridiculous fines to give me.

I checked the leash law and no dogs are allowed on their own property without a leash unless inside a fence or somehow confined by chain, dog run, whatever; which we weren't.

I will be fighting both the 2nd and 3rd tickets and hopefully, they'll be dismissed. I'm going to use the excuse that he is fining me inappropriately due to the time of day, as well as the location (my driveway and two houses down from my house). I'm also going to use the age old "he's just out to get me and is prejudiced against me and my dog". I'll be taking Cooper with me to court to show how "vicious" and "threatening" he is, as well as how he doesn't listen... I just hope there are no cats in the court that day. :D

And Cooper's day has been getting better. OmaKitty actually played with him for about 30 seconds earlier, then she tried to bite his jugular and it was game over. :shock:

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Well at least Cooper's having a better day oblivious to the fines :shock: It still amazes me that this is sich a big deal for goodness sakes it's just a wee chi it's not likes he's running to attack some old lady or something :lol: allthough the cop might be a good target.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's ridiculous. The law was put into place to keep people's dogs from running all over town, causing unwanted homeless dogs. And the obvious safety issues, keeping dogs from hurting people or vice versa.

I don't think they had a Chihuahua standing in his driveway, at the heels of his owner no less, in mind when they put it on the books. I understand they have to fine everyone if they're trying to get the law to be taken seriously but the amount of the fines given me were just absurd. I would have paid them if they were $25 or under, just because I *was* in the wrong - I can't deny that fact. But I'm not paying a total $350. No way.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Are you going to take him out without a leash again and risk another ticket?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ms_P said:
Are you going to take him out without a leash again and risk another ticket?
LOL Cooper is a free-range Chihuahua. When it's daylight, I do take him on leash and obey the laws. When I'm working, I work nights so 3am is "normal" for me - I don't take Cooper out much at that time of the day, mainly because there's not much to do, so the only times he's out is when we're checking mail, taking out trash... and I don't plan on putting a leash on him for that. It's just silly.

And I do realize I'm contradicting myself when the whole story was about him taking off after the cats but I must say this - he's a very well-trained dog (at least, he's an expensively-trained dog) and, generally, I have no worries about him being off-leash. He does ignore most cats that he sees outdoors and he won't run after them if I'm watching and have the presence of mind to give him his "come" command.

I was just too busy playing with the gecko to notice this morning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts