Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH! So last night (around 1 am) my oldest cat DeeJay and my younger cat Mercedes got into a knock down, drag out fight, one of the worst they've been in, they tumbled down the stairs on top of each other/biting etc. Well Mercedes came away limping pretty bad on her rear leg, at first I thought she dislocated her hip. So took her down and had my dad check her, she has a torn cruciate (EXTREMELY rare in cats). We are going to try conservative management (confinement to a crate, pain meds & anti-inflammatories) but more than likely she is going to need surgery.

Anyone know how to get kitties to stop fighting? We picked up some 'mouse' balls as my hubby put it tonight on the way home, some that were recommended to stop the aggression with each other. I hope they work, I can't handle much more of this, but really do not want to have to keep them separate or re-home one, but I can't have them killing each other like this all the time. :foxes15:

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I only have 1 cat so I have no advice but just wanted to say I hope Mercedes feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Did you get both cats at the same time or get one then later another? If its the latter then it could be a territorail issue and something that will sort itself out given time.

However if you have had the two cats a while and they are still fighting it could be that they literally don't like each other and never will stop fighting.

I have only ever seen one cat fight and never want to see another, I was shocked to see just how vicious they were.

Hope you get things sorted between them as I am like you, hate the thought of parting with any animal.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i have 6 cats , one i got as an adult but she fit in right away , although when i have had rescue kittens come in some would get a little cranky but it never lasted long .

2 of my past cats Webster and Merlin i got 10mths apart and they were good friends for the first 4 years sleeping together and also cleaning each other , than they just turned into crazy ferrals once we moved , could not be in the same room together and both being huge cats was quite hard to separate them although if i got in early a stern loud ahhhhhh and standing between them would stop them , after a few weeks of that they worked them self out , could be in the same room just not close together but no more fights just a whack here and there :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sorry to here about your kitty. I have known people to rescue cats and the cats usually work their issues out but it can take some time. My MIL got a cat that was roming outside and brought her in and her other two were none to happy. There were quite a few fights in the beginning but now they all love each other but it took a few months.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
my mastiff tore her cruciate! took a long recovery of slinging her up and down the stairs to get into the yard and she still has bad days when it's cold or raining we notice her limp.

My mom got a second cat when she was younger and her first cat tore its whole neck open so she had to rehome him literally she said you could see cords in its neck.

Sadly rehoming one may be the option. It's' harder to keep cats separated than dogs.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
do they fight all the time? i don't know wot u can do to help the situation. i have 1 cat and he is not aggressive at all, but gets attacked by our neighbours cats, last time his paw had been bitten, it got all infected he had to have antibiotics, and his pad peeled off, he is alright now but avoids them at all cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts