Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico is just 10 yrs old, and since he was a puppy he has been licking his feet after being outside for his walks. I have purchased chews that is supposed to stop the licking. But they are not working. The vet says he has allergies and gave script for Apoquel that is expensive and is for only two weeks. It works but I can't afford to keep him on it all the time. Any other stuff I can give him to stop or slow down the licking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cetirizine , you can get from a store, its human allergy med. my dog licks non stop in summer because the grass or something outside. Thats what my vet subscribed and its cheap even from vet. If you buy from store make sure to get correct dosage by asking vet. My dog weighs 9-10lb and takes half a pill one time a day. I will look and see what mg he takes i cant remember right now. He still licks but he does it less and his feet are leas sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chico is just 10 yrs old, and since he was a puppy he has been licking his feet after being outside for his walks. I have purchased chews that is supposed to stop the licking. But they are not working. The vet says he has allergies and gave script for Apoquel that is expensive and is for only two weeks. It works but I can't afford to keep him on it all the time. Any other stuff I can give him to stop or slow down the licking?
My chihuahua stays on it only when its warm outside, he doesn’t have issues in the winter time. You could get your dog shoes to wear to keep his feet off grass, to help prevent the pup from havin the issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So my dogs cetirizine is 10mg and like i said he weighs 9-10lb and takes half a day. My 4lb or lil over that takes a quarter of that every day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my dogs cetirizine is 10mg and like i said he weighs 9-10lb and takes half a day. My 4lb or lil over that takes a quarter of that every day.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and get it for Chico. These chews I bought on line are not working.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and get it for Chico. These chews I bought on line are not working.
I picked up the meds at Walgreens. I've been giving Chico 1/2 pill of 10mg every morning. is once a day enough?? So far he is not scratching as much, but still licks his feet. The licking is not as much either. I guess it will take some time to finally stop. But at least i see some improvement. Thanks again. God Bless!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would only feed 1x a day, thats what my vet recommended. My dog still licks but is alot better and hes not sensitive to touch like he was without the med , his feet and legs that is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If he stains his feet i can tell u what i use for my dog, it will take the stains out and if he is like my dog and has given himself yeast infection from licking this shampoo will kill that also. Its awesome stuff. My boy is white so excessive licking = brown fur

1 - 8 of 8 Posts